STATEMENT ON RELEASE

Cobra847

Everyone,

We appreciate (believe me, we really really do) the fact that you're all excited to finally fly the MiG-21.

We're really excited for you to do so as well.

The date range featured on our site was an Estimate based on projected time for development conclusion. It was kept vague, but still fairly specific to give you all a DECENT IDEA.

We'd rather you be kept in the loop as best we can, but please don't abuse this. We should've made it more clear that it was an estimate.

It's been a long road for everyone on the team (3+ years for some, from the initial MiG-21 builds).

However, to ensure a smooth release and to bring this project to a succesful close, we need to be mindful of a lot of things.

Tasks such as core integration or assuring that the product passes every level of rigorous QA are not easy nor are they to be taken lightly.

I think everyone would be more disappointed with a genuinely flawed product rather than waiting a little longer.

I have closed the Release thread as it's simply festering with misinformation and statements taken out of context.

When we have a release date nailed down you will all be the FIRST TO KNOW.

In closing; I would like to appeal for you all to take a moment and see this from a developers' perspective.

I have spent the last year of my life without an income, all chips on the table for the DCS: MiG-21 to be a success. I try to spend every day not thinking about my rising debt.

Don't think for a moment that we are not just as eager as you to release our maiden product.

It not being out yet is not an attempt to personally anger you, even though it is seen as such by some. (much to our personal sadness).

We will do things right the first time. No half-baking or rushed nonsense.

In the end, that is what matters most.

As I mentioned in the other thread: Update within a week, promo copies going out next week, and likely a livestream on Friday (4th).

Thanks for reading and for your support,

Team Leatherneck

Edited by Cobra847
  • Like 4

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the update, take your time getting everything ironed out. Deliver it when it is ready, no sooner.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Cobra, can you give us any impression on how things are progressing in terms of the core integration and QA? I mean, not really asking for exact percentages of completion here, just enough to give us a general feeling of what is going on.

I mean, I think the big thing that kinda sets things off on this subforum is not that release estimates don't really come to fruition (understandable in development) but that very little is said in the days immediately leading up to those dates, even a quick post last week saying very clearly that a June release is not going to happen would probably have gone a long way to ease the pressure and would have prevented the release thread from going the path that it did.

I have no trouble looking at things from your perspective as a developer, I am not one myself but I feel that if you don't think it is ready, it is not ready and I support you on that 100%.

However, please keep in mind that we as customers are kinda like highly caffeinated people running around in a dark room, we are really excited but we don't really know what is going on and that can lead to us grasping at whatever we can see and making it a big deal.

We don't know when things are going to run into overtime, I think I can speak for most of us when I say that we are okay with the waiting, as long as we are not waiting for a date (even a vague one) that you know won't happen.

I suppose what I am trying to say is that while I see that you gents have made some statements on various threads, it might be good to make occasional and somewhat in depth news posts (even a paragraph, it need not be long, just informative) so that we are not waiting for dates (again, even vague ones) that have already been decided were not to happen.

Now, finally, before everyone jumps on me for being "impatient" or whatever, this is not the case, as I said, I fully support Leatherneck's choices on when and how to release the product, I am simply talking about why things are so tense here and putting forward a suggestion (and a very minor one at that, no more than a paragraph every week or two on a official post) that might help ALL of us have a smoother, happier time here, this is not "entitlement" or anything like that.

• Like 2

Cobra, can you give us any impression on how things are progressing in terms of the core integration and QA? I mean, not really asking for exact percentages of completion here, just enough to give us a general feeling of what is going on.

I mean, I think the big thing that kinda sets things off on this subforum is not that release estimates don't really come to fruition (understandable in development) but that very little is said in the days immediately leading up to those dates, even a quick post last week saying very clearly that a June release is not going to happen would probably have gone a long way to ease the pressure and would have prevented the release thread from going the path that it did.

I have no trouble looking at things from your perspective as a developer, I am not one myself but I feel that if you don't think it is ready, it is not ready and I support you on that 100%.

However, please keep in mind that we as customers are kinda like highly caffeinated people running around in a dark room, we are really excited but we don't really know what is going on and that can lead to us grasping at whatever we can see and making it a big deal.

We don't know when things are going to run into overtime, I think I can speak for most of us when I say that we are okay with the waiting, as long as we are not waiting for a date (even a vague one) that you know won't happen.

I suppose what I am trying to say is that while I see that you gents have made some statements on various threads, it might be good to make occasional and somewhat in depth news posts (even a paragraph, it need not be long, just informative) so that we are not waiting for dates (again, even vague ones) that have already been decided were not to happen.

Now, finally, before everyone jumps on me for being "impatient" or whatever, this is not the case, as I said, I fully support Leatherneck's choices on when and how to release the product, I am simply talking about why things are so tense here and putting forward a suggestion (and a very minor one at that, no more than a paragraph every week or two on a official post) that might help ALL of us have a smoother, happier time here, this is not "entitlement" or anything like that.

Your criticism is valid and I appreciate it a lot.

The last few weeks have been filled with events that have simply stifled a lot of the time we've been able to spend on the forum.

Thus short, concise messages. I still haven't managed to work through my backlog of PMs in a few weeks.

Things are going well. We remain optimistic, but it's a rather fluid situation. Note that some things we simply cannot discuss due to the NDA we are under.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Everyone,

I have spent the last year of my life without an income, all chips on the table for the DCS: MiG-21 to be a success. I try to spend every day not thinking about my rising debt.

Well, you know the standard, you know what DCS people are used to and expect to see and you can guesstimate your future sales if you have a look at the people viewing this sub-forum, the general interest in DCS like sims, the interest in jet fighters in this kind of sim.

So I think you've spent your time and money very well.

Wish you guys all the best, don't get burn-outed, take a month off or so after release.

Thanks for your effort guys! :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] Waiting to build a F/A-18C home-pit...

ex - Swiss Air Force Pilatus PC-21 Ground Crew

SFM? AFM? EFM?? What's this?

i7-5960X (8 core @3.00GHz)¦32GB DDR4 RAM¦Asus X99-WS/IPMI¦2x GTX970 4GB SLI¦Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSD¦TrackIR 5 Pro¦TM Warthog¦MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Thanks for update! this will be a day one purchase for me as well!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I´m sure your Mig-21 its going to be one of the most sucessful DCS modules in history.

For your own good and your credit card. XDD

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

I just want to thank you guys for what you do extra, like streaming actual work being done on the project. I personally feel like that is a great way to show progress on a project. I don't think I've seen any others doing that kind of thing right now. Can't wait to spread those wings and fly :)

Sounds as though much larger and wider things are definitely afoot? Even so - good luck team LN and thank you for the update, most appreciative!

Asus Z390 Code XI, i9-9900K, RAM 32 Gig Corsair Vengeance @ 3200, RTX 2080 TI FE, TIR 5, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB, HOTAS WH, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, HTC Vive Pro, Win 10 x64

I sincerely hope this module pays off all your debts and gives you all a tidy profit. The detail of your work looks to be of a very high quality.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

Looking forward to release day

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Thanks for the update ... waiting so long, no matter if it's a little bit longer ;)

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]