Notching: Real vs Game/Counters.

Ok. So I am curious how accurate the games modeling of notching is. I am also interested in what counters would be applied in real life vs this game. I have noticed that in real life pilots/airforces seem to talk about/and place emphasis on High alitude and speed, yet in DCS everyone flys low. Why is this? I know this is partially due to the mountains making it highly difficult to require notched targets because they can change course behind a mountain. Over flat terrain, Its seems much easier to find a target that does a beaming maneuver. My current thoughts/tactics are as follows.

1. IRL, the radar differential speed tolerances might be more precise, or software might identify targets before they notch and continue to recognize that target after it notches?

2. Data links would mean that a flight to your 3 or 9 could maintain track of targets in the notch due them not being 90deg, and your radar/missile would feed off that.

3. Course changes to force targets out of the notch(this is what I currently do in game) when a target starts to beam, I start turning to keep tracking them be changing the engagement geometry to prevent them from getting perpendicular. Tip on this would be great if anyone knows the proper way to do this.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Weed Be gone Needed

It's because missiles have to much drag and very simple guidance. Radar modeling of the shooter also factors in. If someone knows real notch speeds and how they work exactly, they're not talking.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

For low flying planes online combine what GG said with airbases being next door to each other (even Anapa and Vaziani) and the lack of smart/integrated SAM's.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Yes, but for the F-15 it wouldn't be quite the same. You will see in that game, in STT there is radar memory. In TWS there should be also.

Very good find though, oldie and goodie.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Something like that. The radar will remember the last target parameters and continue searching for the target given those parameters. If the target comes out of the notch before the time-out, it will be re-acquired.

You can see this in DCS with the F-15 and Su-27/MiG-29 when you have a target locked up in STT. Obviously this works for any situation where the contact is lost, not just the notch.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is the missile drag problem being worked on currently? If it is, are those changes going to be included in the 1.3.0 update?

I certainly hope so, the 8nm definition of BVR is getting a bit old. It was mentioned earlier that ED doesn't want to fudge the numbers on the missiles and is looking for a more exact solution. I'm not a engineer, but since the actual guidance logic of the missiles is classified, and many of the missile aerodynamic properties probably are as well, I feel like even when ED finishes correcting the guidance as much as they can, and get the aero as close as there is info to do, wont we still be fudging numbers?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Weed Be gone Needed

I feel like even when ED finishes correcting the guidance as much as they can, and get the aero as close as there is info to do, wont we still be fudging numbers?

I think thats the nature of simming though. To an extent, there will always be number fudging :)

Agreed though, I'm hopeful missile drag is reduced in the future as well.