Missiles: Proximity?

USARStarkey

So aren't missiles like the 120 etc supposed to have proximity detonation? all the missiles seem to be going for direct impact. I watch ones of my 120s fly 10 feet behind a flanker and just limp there till it ran out of E.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Weed Be gone Needed

So aren't missiles like the 120 etc supposed to have proximity detonation? all the missiles seem to be going for direct impact.

You know of any AAMs that don't go for direct impact?

I watch ones of my 120s fly 10 feet behind a flanker and just limp there till it ran out of E.

Sure, and a real missile's fuze would have probably been wiped out as well in this situation.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

You know of any AAMs that don't go for direct impact?

Sure, and a real missile's fuze would have probably been wiped out as well in this situation.

No that is why I'm asking the question. I'm not sure what the case should be.

As for being directly behind the plane, Ive seen them do the same thing when equally close but not inside of an afterburner.

Regardless, I am now confused, at least as I'm reading them your statements seem to imply that they do an do not have proximity fuses. So which is it? Do AAM's go for direct impact, or proximity blast? Or do they have the option for either. I know from a while back I read something about AIM-54's hitting targets directly, but the way it was phrased it sounded like this was not the norm.

They have proximity fuzes. They also have impact fuzes. The proximity fuze is there to take care of near-misses.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

They have proximity fuzes. They also have impact fuzes. The proximity fuze is there to take care of near-misses.

Ok got ya. So is proximity modeled in DCS? I've never seen one detonate without hitting its target

Yep, they're modeled. Not super-well but they're modeled. They explode at a certain distance from the pilot's helmet :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It would track whatever part gives it a strong reflection. The fuze would similarly react to any surface that gives it enough signal strength and closure. The fixe is separate hardware with its own detection device etc.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

If the game only uses the distance from the pilots head, and not proximity to the model, then yes, it would be fair to say that the proximity trigger range should be larger. Not a lot larger, but larger.

But, it's a sim, and even the best desktop computers aren't up to the task of computing the exact distance of the missile's head to the closest part of the plane's model, and then on top of that reasonably calculate whether or not the radar return received from there would be enough to trigger the fuse, all at 60 times a second, if not faster. It's just way too much. Far easier to pick a spot (pilot's head) and measure the distance to that.

Making the proximity larger wouldn't solve anything. It would be a cheap bandaid to cover up the lack of a proper proximity fuze. It could then explode too far away from the aircraft to do any real damage. I'd rather they use the the hitbox of the plane to measure distance.