Indiscriminate R-77 ?

OB1

I only fly online and with a group and we have discovered the R-77 is rather dangerous to use. Had a few hilarious moments and now fly rather nervously around one of our guys that loves the Mig-29.

I myself and another have fell victim to friendly R-77's, and with an investigation with tackview found the pilot to be fault free. A friendly only has to be roughly in the vicinity in front of the R-77's launch platform and once the missile goes active god knows who it decides to follow.

This is just a modelling issue with the missile right ? Surely the real thing is a tad smarter ?

This is how ARH missiles work. They don't IFF. IF there's a difference between sim and real life, it might be in the amount of support you provide the missile with your own sensors. When the missile loses lock though, there is always a risk of hitting friendlies. To avoid this you need to be well coordinated.

[sIGPIC]http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk187/Exorcet/F-15singaturebaseACOmodifiedcomp-1.jpg[/sIGPIC]

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

This is how ARH missiles work. They don't IFF. IF there's a difference between sim and real life, it might be in the amount of support you provide the missile with your own sensors. When the missile loses lock though, there is always a risk of hitting friendlies. To avoid this you need to be well coordinated.

Even though it is ARH it still uses a datalink right ? Surely they wouldn't design a missile so careless that would potentially home in on any object in front of it. We have fired many 120's over each others shoulders and never had this happen.

Maybe this is why the Russians don't use it :D

Implementation details aside (yes, it should be using the DL for discrimination if you keep the target designated - but what if someone - anyone - is operating some form of counter-measures to confuse everything and everyone?), no one likes shooting those things near their own guys in RL, because yes, stuff can happen, and yes, those missiles may pick up the wrongest target.

Even though it is ARH it still uses a datalink right ? Surely they wouldn't design a missile so careless that would potentially home in on any object in front of it. We have fired many 120's over each others shoulders and never had this happen.

Maybe this is why the Russians don't use it :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

There's no IFF on these weapons. AFAIK there isn't even space in there to stick in an IFF antenna, and I'm not aware of any mechanism to transfer IFF crypto codes from aircraft to missile. Not that this means they don't exist.

Unfortunately, IFF is very vulnerable to a bunch of radio issues - eg. if your buddy and bandit are on the same bearing, and the bandit is closer to the missile, he might still ID friendly when the IFF completes interrogation. Of course, technology improves over time and perhaps this will change or it has already changed - eg. mode 4 or mode 5 send the aircraft's position, which the radar can correlate.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

So if you're looking at a furball of a friendly and a bandit and you shoot at the bad guy from more than 8 miles and you maintain lock, assuming none of them do anything to confuse your radar, it still has a chance to jump on the friendly? In the context of DCS, not real life.

Yes.

In DCS, because either of the planes could spoof the missile with chaff after which it might re-acquire, and/or possibly the target might enter the notch while in the turn and the missile will reacquire whatever's there.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't think you've quite understood me.

assuming none of them do anything to confuse your radar

I meant no notching, no chaffing, and all of that stuff. Obviously in that case anything can happen.

Just take a case of a bandit and a friendly flying directly towards you close together, they will not maneuver under any condition. I know it doesn't make sense, but just for the sake of proving the point.

You fire at the bandit from a range further than active range, with a maintained bug or lock will the MCG help the ARH target the bad guy? Again in the context of DCS. I imagine it surely does IRL.