Aerial Reconnaissance feature

Grizzly1606688174

I have had an idea for a while, don't know if this is the right place to put it but here goes.

I always liked reconnaissance, and found it essential to most missions. And making the recon part into a mission it self is awesome I think.

But tilting your airplane sideways at 20.000/40.000 feet and then zooming in with your mousewheel to make screenshots just feels wierd. Also, I have to edit them in photoshop afterwards to make it look cool :P

So I thought, how about a "camera device" - I dont know, like the litening pod. Or maybe something different. I dont know what they use in the real world or if they even use it on the planes that we use in DCS A-10/F-15/MiG-21/Sabre etc..

But I am especially thinking of such a thing on the upcoming mig-21 or sabre.

The awesome part would be that you would push a button on your joystick and save a image that automatically would be filtered a bit to look something like this:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1576479/screenshots/DCS/recon/blackwhite-contrast.jpg

Might be a stupid brainfart, I dont know. Just an idea I wanted to share. ;)

None of the flyable planes in DCS are used for recce... AFAIK.

DCS: Sepecat Jaguar anyone.....:pilotfly:

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

no no no, DCS: Sr-71 Blackbird

DCS: F-4E really needs to be a thing!!!!!!

Aircraft: A-10C, Ka-50, UH-1H, MiG-21, F-15C, Su-27, MiG-29, A-10A, Su-25, Su-25T, TF-51

TR-1 (!)

plus drones

recon/intelligence is an important part of combat - thus the heavy investment in C4ISR

would def like to see ED fill out this capability in the sim ---- whether that means player-flyable units or simply AI units that are able to populate the datalink and create a picture for command-and-control

another warfare mission area that could use some attention is EW (specifically SOJs) -- i know its a touchy subject, but the current relatively "simple" implementation of EA (one-dimensional "on or off" functionality) is "fine" for our purposes --- but if the SOJs' coverage pattern could be directional and dissipate effectiveness with range, and if we could control when SOJs xmit ("on" and "off" to conform to a strike timeline), that would be great too ---- added bonus: other flight simulators have paved the way and modeled these features, so we can "safely" do the same in DCS

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There are no SOJ's in the game at the moment. All of the aircraft have self protection jammers only. Stand off Jammers are dedicated platforms like the EA-18G, EF-111A and EA-6B. You will not see an accurate representation of these aircraft as their true capabilities are a closely guarded secret.

As for other reconnaissance assets I would want an F-14 Tomcat TARPS bird, an RF-4C Phantom or an OV-1D Mohawk.

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

Still plugging away.... Someday... 'two weeks', possibly? :-). Have another meeting scheduled with folks at Cosford in August....

"It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage..."

There are no SOJ's in the game at the moment. All of the aircraft have self protection jammers only. Stand off Jammers are dedicated platforms like the EA-18G, EF-111A and EA-6B. You will not see an accurate representation of these aircraft as their true capabilities are a closely guarded secret.

As for other reconnaissance assets I would want an F-14 Tomcat TARPS bird, an RF-4C Phantom or an OV-1D Mohawk.

oh - you seem to think i'm asking for PFM/ASM level recon a/c ----- you are incorrect, i'm not asking for an "accurate" representation of those aircraft

i'm advocating (as i actually typed) for a "simplified one-dimensional on-off" SOJ capability in the sim

i'm sorry, mr vampire - i thought i was posting in the forum titled "something-something wish list" ---- my bad - next time i'll submit my post to you for your approval before i post - i clearly don't understand the parameters for "acceptable" wish list posts...

:rolleyes:

• Like 1

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

oh - you seem to think i'm asking for PFM/ASM level recon a/c ----- you are incorrect, i'm not asking for an "accurate" representation of those aircraft

i'm advocating (as i actually typed) for a "simplified one-dimensional on-off" SOJ capability in the sim

i'm sorry, mr vampire - i thought i was posting in the forum titled "something-something wish list" ---- my bad - next time i'll submit my post to you for your approval before i post - i clearly don't understand the parameters for "acceptable" wish list posts...

:rolleyes:

Sorry to offend you. No reason to be cheeky. I opined about what I know and you don't like my conclusion. A simple high power noise jammer like you want would only serve to disrupt everyone's radars. A powerful noise jammer swings the advantage to the aircraft with IR trackers. I would prefer something more advanced than what you wish for (with the ability to direct energy to target specific threats in both high band and low band and to be able to modulate the frequencies) but I also know that it will never be full real due to the limitations of the game designers access to the information of the systems. This being a wish list thread I would prefer a more realistic approach to EW. I agree that the current state of EW in game is poor but adding another poor jamming system to the mix will only serve to exacerbate the problem... again, my opinion.

I understand the Belsemtek is going to be working on the OH-58D which will be a day one purchase for me. Scouting/Reconnaissance intrigues me greatly and that helo in particular has had my interest for a while.

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

So, back after a mission with a few mates where we tried the idea out. It worked, but not without showing the enemy that we where aware.

Briefing for the mission was just something quick I wrote:

Intro:

Chechen rebels are continuing to be operational and has access to

georgian territory through the mountains, where georgian borderpatrol has to much ground to cover.

Village of Barzikau in GRID MN44 has lost all power and communication with

the outside world, and so has the village of Coban in GRID MN55.

It is believed that insurgents has taken hold of Coban, and are planning a

next assault on Barzikau. The georgian military is very occupied in the

northern borders, but has two spare SU-25T's and help from american F-15's operating out of Nalchik airport.

Blue tasks:

Do a low level reconnaissance of MN44-Barzikau and MN55-Coban.

Take pictures and analyze.

Suggested altittudes of 4-6000 feet.

Note:

Dont hang around to long.

No other friendly units in the area, air or ground.

Free to engage aerial targets only.

End.

I just followed along, the guys found the towns themselves, took pictures, send them to me and analyzed them for me based on the picture, what they saw on site and what they believed the insurgents could in theory get their hands on.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1576479/screenshots/DCS/recon/STARA_1/Reconanalyze.jpg

Not the last time we are doing that. :thumbup: