F-18 wrong payload/layout

Ktulu2

Hi, I wasn't sure if this belonged in here or in sim topic, but anyway. So, as I was hyper hyped about the F-18 I decided to go play with it through the mission editor. According to the ME, the F-18 can only take 8 slammers/A2A missiles, wich I didn't fit what I read. Than I found this picture ( http://aircraft.wikia.com/wiki/File:Aim120_2.jpg ) that shows clearly the F-18C loaded with 10 AMRAAMS and 2 AIM-9, so a 12 missiles configuration. I know that AI planes aren't deeply modelled, but sill, why did they took time to make more payloads than for the A-10c while being wrong?

Well, let's put it this way:

While it might be possible to put those launchers with two AIM-120 on a regular F-18C (we don't know, the pic is real but it might be a demo of some sorts, or a test) it might not be actually used in real life operations for several reasons, which would explain why it is not implemented in DCS.

Just like the A-10C, which in real life doesn't carry three Mavericks on one rack because that isn't working well.

Also that picture is the only source on the planet that shows an F/A-18 in that configuration. That may be a hint that it isn't used regularly.

We could ask an actual service member that works with the F/A-18 if he ever heard of that loadout, maybe he is allowed to tell us.

So yeah, I don't know either. But it is an interesting topic in real life and the game.

• 11 months later...

I've been in the Navy for almost 20 years and I have seen a maximum air to air load out of 12 AAM's for legacy Hornets and 14 AAM's for Supers a grand total of zero times. Alerts are usually stood with three to seven missiles depending on the perceived threat for the region. Can the maximum load out be done? Yes. Will you normally see something like that? No.

Edited by Vampyre

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

Regardless of whether it is a standard payload used every day or rare payload .

The payload of 12 AIM-120C is real, have to be added

DCS is a Flight Simulator ! have to simulate real life regardless of conditions ! ! !

Edited by paidapinga

Regardless of whether it is a standard payload used every day or rare payload .

The payload of 12 AIM-120C is real, have to be added

DCS is a Flight Simulator ! have to simulate real life regardless of conditions ! ! !

It should be added when the F-18 becomes flyable, no panic :p

There is a lot of stuff missing, BRU-55 are not there either, they allow to carry pairs of Zuni pods or GBU-12, for instance.