Downed player chopper recovery with AI Mi-26

tovivan

Downed player chopper recovery with AI Mi-26  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Downed player chopper recovery with AI Mi-26

• Yes, I would totally rock it!
    • God, no! Are you crazy? Somebody call the men in white!
    • Meh, don't care either way, I don't fly choppers anyway.

First off, I'm not sure this is possible, because I don't know how powerful the mission editor and mission scripting in DCS is. In Arma2, my only mission scripting experience, it is already implemented in some mods for use by players.

Anyway, the idea behind this is the automated (on call through the communications menu) recovery of a downed player helicopter (Ka50 especially :D) by a Mi-26 piloted by AI. The fact that a Mi-26 is capable of this and used for sling-transporting other aircraft is beyond debate.

Especially useful for multiplayer missions where you have to land due to battle damage, but are not destroyed. It sucks to have to give up and then let yourself be counted as killed when you're still alive and in real world situation would just need to wait for repair units if the damage is not bad enough or a Mi-26 to sling load the baby if trucks can't get to it. Wings of Russia Studio made two excellent docus where they also depict this exact situation/procedure ("Mi-8! The Magnificent Eight!" and Mi-24 "The Warrior", both on Youtube) and how it was perfected in Afghanistan.

Personally, most of the time I would rather be willing to wait for an Mi-26 or a repair truck to arrive at my destination and then repair than face the letdown, disappointment and failure of having either to respawn (and be FALSELY counted as killed) or re-slot. That scenario was NOT why I took such pains to land safely when hit, instead of just parking myself nose first in the ground!

The ridiculousness of the current system was demonstrated when I couldn't get my chopper fixed even though I was about 50m away from a FARP the other night and then had to reslot.

It doesn't have to look perfect, it would be enough if the chopper would be hanging under the Mi-26 on an invisible, stiff line (like in Arma2) when transported back to base, just as long as it's working.

Thanks for your time.

It sounds neat, however in the real world a completely disabled aircraft is a kill. Even if you survived the encounter and went back to base, the aircraft might not be combat worthy ever again. I don't care so much about the score aspect but it might be neat to try.

[sIGPIC]http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk187/Exorcet/F-15singaturebaseACOmodifiedcomp-1.jpg[/sIGPIC]

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

I don't think that this is possible with DCS, I simply don't know if the commands exits. A repair truck might be feasible though, it would require changes I believe to allow a mobile point that can be used for repair.

Always remember. I don't have a clue what I'm doing