Eurofighter midair collision with Learjet

leafer

yup, when i read about it i thought..wow, that powerful radar eurofighter has sure is powerful if it can't detect a civilian learjet in front of him.. just shows how theory and reality works ..

either that or the dude had his radar off and ground control had their radar off or both elements failed because of lack of professionalism(slacking off at the job).. in any way this is just.. so 3rd world accident..

This was not in controlled airspace, they were doing airwork together, the Lear acting as a target. I will wait for the official investigation before making up my mind as to the cause or laying blame on the respective pilots skills or professionalism.

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.

The Eurofighters did an daily exercise (Intercept/ ID Run), with the Learjet acting as target. While the Eurofighter did the visual ID, they were in a easy left hand turn and the Learjet collided with him. So, it wasn't a problem with its Radar, nor the GCI controller.

http://www.spiegel.de/panorama/absturz-im-sauerland-kollision-von-eurofighter-und-learjet-a-976940.html

Sad news, We'll wait for the investigation reports ...

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Having served a couple of years back in the corresponding control and reporting centre for this mission, I can assure you that you won't find any "lack of professionalism", especially when missions are conducted over densely populated areas.

As rangi stated correctly, the Learjet was an aircraft of the GFD, a company that provides aerial targets for interception training.

A possible collision scenario could be a simulated comms fail of the learjet with the EF having to visually ID the contact, thus getting up close with the LJ.

I'm guessing the Learjet crashed because it does not have fly-by wire with electronic stability software to re learn how to fly a damaged airframe in a split second, the Eurofighter probably does have that.

I used to fly Learjets up until December last year, trying to find out which model was involved.

It's probably because the collision destroyed control surfaces or severed hydraulic lines. No amount of FBW will save you here.

I'm guessing the Learjet crashed because it does not have fly-by wire with electronic stability software to re learn how to fly a damaged airframe in a split second, the Eurofighter probably does have that.

I used to fly Learjets up until December last year, trying to find out which model was involved.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

It's probably because the collision destroyed control surfaces or severed hydraulic lines. No amount of FBW will save you here.

I think you misunderstand me, indeed the learjet probably took too much damage to be able to fly, I don't believe the typhoon is made of diamond and is probably also heavily damaged, but FBW 'can' assist in the recovery of a severely damaged aircraft and I'd like to see how much damage that airframe took.

I believe fighters are just built to take more damage. The hydraulic systems are far more isolated from each other etc. Just IMHO.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I believe fighters are just built to take more damage. The hydraulic systems are far more isolated from each other etc. Just IMHO.

I was thinking the same... And some (like the A-10) even have redundant and emergency flight control systems.

I guess the average aircraft doesn't have this.

The Learjet was operated by a civilian company which serves as a target for the fighters.

Don't know if it's said in the english news

Their website:

http://www.gfd-hohn.de

Well the swiss air force PC-9 are painted black-yellow just sayin...

Pictures

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] Waiting to build a F/A-18C home-pit...

ex - Swiss Air Force Pilatus PC-21 Ground Crew

SFM? AFM? EFM?? What's this?

i7-5960X (8 core @3.00GHz)¦32GB DDR4 RAM¦Asus X99-WS/IPMI¦2x GTX970 4GB SLI¦Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSD¦TrackIR 5 Pro¦TM Warthog¦MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...

A question, what is the worth of using a civil aircraft for that? Wouldnt you be able to use a jet trainer or anything else with ejection seats?

Im thinking if you "train" you should take precautions. Please enlighten me!

A question, what is the worth of using a civil aircraft for that? Wouldnt you be able to use a jet trainer or anything else with ejection seats?

You can do it more often, possibly for less money. It's one less plane for you to maintain. Pilots get to see a typical intercept target.

Im thinking if you "train" you should take precautions. Please enlighten me!

They do take precautions. Someone did something wrong, basically.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Apparently they were in a left hand turn EF in front and above the LJ turned to tight and hit the EF under the rear right destroying a drop tank and ripping other parts from the EF, The LJ lost an engine and went into the ground at an angle like they were trying to pull out.

this is almost identical to the skyraider V P51 at duxford only the P51 was the EF but crashed and the skyraider lost about 6 foot of wing and managed to land both pilots were safe.

AMD A8-5600K @ 4GHz, Radeon 7970 6Gig, 16 Gig Ram, Win 10 , 250 gig SSD, 40" Screen + 22 inch below, Track Ir, TMWH, Saitek combat pedals & a loose nut behind the stick :thumbup:

Never flown the Lear, but I think hydraulic systems would sort of be irrelevant. On the Lear, the hydraulics would be for flaps, spoilers, gear operation, brakes, and thrust reversers. Loss of hydraulics wouldn't have been the issue I don't think. Not sure what else might be hydraulic but I don't think any of the primary flight controls are. This is a relatively small jet.

On the other hand, airplanes don't take collisions well. Flight control surfaces get destroyed in hangar incidents when tugs are moving them at a couple miles per hour. It wouldn't take much of a collision to render an airplane uncontrollable, especially the hit was in the wrong spot.

Here in the US, F15s and F16s practice intercepts against civilian targets that are much slower than Learjets.

Apparently they were in a left hand turn EF in front and above the LJ turned to tight and hit the EF under the rear right destroying a drop tank and ripping other parts from the EF, The LJ lost an engine and went into the ground at an angle like they were trying to pull out.

this is almost identical to the skyraider V P51 at duxford only the P51 was the EF but crashed and the skyraider lost about 6 foot of wing and managed to land both pilots were safe.

One of my buddies used to fly Skyraiders into thunderstorms as part of a research project. He said it was a tough airplane, but it would come back full of dents, get torn down and rebuilt, and then they'd do it again.

6700K@4.6 48Gb - 1080Ti Hybrid - Warthog - RIFT

I have only flown the Lear45, the controls are all direct cable with no power assist, gear, flap, spoilerons and TR are indeed hydraulic, in the case of aileron jams it has the ability to control roll using only the spoilerons but only from the P1 side