Player to AI Radio Messages

Habu_69

I have flown many single-player missions in which the author included large numbers of radio messages, in text and sometimes sound as well, supposedly "transmitted" by the Player to various mission AI entities, such as the mission commander, JTAC, ground units, etc. Personally I find that such messages detract from, rather than enhance, realism and suspension of disbelief.

Artificial Player transmissions serve no purpose, so far as I can tell, and can be quite distracting during a busy mission. Instead of focusing on flying the airplane, I must turn my attention to reading message after message. I can always reply to the AI, if I think it enhances realism and choose to do so; and the AI can send me messages without my acknowledgement. How does the author know what I might say, anyway?

This is merely my $.02, but I make this post to stimulate discussion and find out if other pilots prefer the Player transmissions or feel as I do.

I have flown many single-player missions in which the author included large numbers of radio messages, in text and sometimes sound as well, supposedly "transmitted" by the Player to various mission AI entities, such as the mission commander, JTAC, ground units, etc. Personally I find that such messages detract from, rather than enhance, realism and suspension of disbelief.

Artificial Player transmissions serve no purpose, so far as I can tell, and can be quite distracting during a busy mission. Instead of focusing on flying the airplane, I must turn my attention to reading message after message. I can always reply to the AI, if I think it enhances realism and choose to do so; and the AI can send me messages without my acknowledgement. How does the author know what I might say, anyway?

This is merely my $.02, but I make this post to stimulate discussion and find out if other pilots prefer the Player transmissions or feel as I do.

Err ... such radio transmissions are not there just for the immersion, they are there to actually trigger something, to initiate some specific action at a time that the player chooses.

Such actions can be to initiate an attack by other units - ground units or other flights. These (AI) units then perform tasks that are usually important for the mission - or better, to help the player to get on with his mission (example: you encounter a SAM - you call in SEAD).

Do you have concrete examples of such transmissions that just only distract and annoy you?

When building missions I tend to add quite a lot of conversations between tha player, commander, wingmen etc. There are numerous reasons, number one in my case being immersion and story - I just like to know what I am doing, whom I am figting or even - to a small extent in SP - who I am flying with.

Triggers mentioned by Flagrum are part of the story, yes - but to me there is much more than that, usually because the missions I create are not only "go there, destroy that", but have an additional background and storyline. Adding personality to player's pilot and other AI flights (especially those appearing in more than one mission) is just part of realism for me.

Georgian Hammer campaign, fine as it may be, is too dry for me, as it uses only the standard, built-in messages. But I'd say the whole topic is a personal preference.

Or are you refering to the messages you may send under F10 radio menu? If so, Flagrum's comment is spot on.

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

These messages are one of the best features in the Mission Editor. With enough of them you can literally control the entire battlefield. They're also useful for small things like making AWACS shut up when listening to it isn't helpful.

EDIT

Now I'm not sure if you're referring to F10 radio or not.

Edited by Exorcet

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

These messages are one of the best features in the Mission Editor. With enough of them you can literally control the entire battlefield. They're also useful for small things like making AWACS shut up when listening to it isn't helpful.

EDIT

Now I'm not sure if you're referring to F10 radio or not.

OK, now in my original post I was not referring to the ADD RADIO ITEM trigger actions. Those are indeed a very useful feature. I was referring only to pop-up text messages that represent Player voice transmissions but do not invoke any sim response.

Now I see. I kind of agree I guess. I don't like having words put in my mouth. I mostly play my own missions though so I've never actually encountered this. I tend to only display messages from AI units and maybe add simple replies in the F10 menu (Yes/No).

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

You can disable displayed messages:

In the Options Menu, under Audio:

Below the sliders are two radio buttons that act as on-off switches:

RADIO SPEECH. Turn all radio speech on or off.

SUBTITLES. Turn all text subtitles on or off.

Page 37 of the DCS World User Manual.

At least you won't have to "read" the messages. :)

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates

Below the sliders are two radio buttons that act as on-off switches:

RADIO SPEECH. Turn all radio speech on or off.

SUBTITLES. Turn all text subtitles on or off.

Habu is referencing messages created in the ME (Message to Group/Coalition/etc).

For some it's too much information... for others too little. Briefing's too long... or not enough info.

Exterior views aren't realistic... others like eye candy.

American KA50s? ...but I want to fly the KA50.

Same aircraft on both sides? ...unfair advantages of AFM over SFM (or vice versa).

Can't please everyone and BOY do they ever have a habit of making it known.

So now that you're harvesting this feedback to see if others like it or not- what exactly are you going to do about it? Are you going to go build missions with the EXACT formula that is going to help lead to a solution of this issue? Or is it just going to be one more drum to bang on that mission designers are ruining your "suspension of disbelief."

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

Personally I find that such messages detract from, rather than enhance, realism and suspension of disbelief.

Artificial Player transmissions serve no purpose, so far as I can tell, and can be quite distracting during a busy mission.

Try turning off your Radio. ? That Channel 124 is full of chatter, especially when AWACs are around :)

WC

Visit the Hollo Pointe DCS World server -- an open server with a variety of COOP & H2H missions including Combined Arms. All released missions are available for free download, modification and public hosting, from my Wrecking Crew Projects site.

So now that you're harvesting this feedback to see if others like it or not- what exactly are you going to do about it? Are you going to go build missions with the EXACT formula that is going to help lead to a solution of this issue? Or is it just going to be one more drum to bang on that mission designers are ruining your "suspension of disbelief."

What needs to be done?

The thread is here and anyone who wants to look can and draw their own conclusions.

There is no exact solution to conflicting preferences, but there is looking at the supposed issue from different angles.

Try turning off your Radio. ? That Channel 124 is full of chatter, especially when AWACs are around smile.gif

WC

This is about messages added in the ME I believe, not radio.

There is no exact solution to conflicting preferences, but there is looking at the supposed issue from different angles.

What angle is there to discuss exactly? The mission builder made it that way for a reason. If you don't like it- go into the mission editor and change it.

"I don't like all the text- it kills my suspension of disbelief while I'm communicating with AI. "

Discuss.

Uh... wut? :pilotfly:

"ENO"

What angle is there to discuss exactly?

As said in the first post, the general opinion can be gathered, or at least an idea of it based on whoever answers. If the mission builder added the text to please the majority, that's valuable info.

You could also discuss the merits of using the text and argue over whether it really does hurt immersion or not. I can already argue either way. I tend to fly as me which is why I don't like having words put into my mouth. Then again if you want to take historically accuracy to an extreme you could create a real sortie carried out by a real pilot.

The mission builder made it that way for a reason. If you don't like it- go into the mission editor and change it.

What was the reason? Is it doing its job? Does the builder want to know or does the mission just not matter after it's released?

"I don't like all the text- it kills my suspension of disbelief while I'm communicating with AI. "

Discuss.

That's not what this thread is.

What was the reason? Is it doing its job? Does the builder want to know or does the mission just not matter after it's released?

:doh:

All valid questions, but pretty sure we're not going to be answering any of those in this thread- in the A-10C sub-forum.

(Cough) Maybe someone should move this over to the mission builders forum.

"ENO"

It's a bit like discussing if blue is a nicer color than red. As I stated earlier, it is a matter of personal preference. And as ENO said, some people prefer lots of chatter / information, while others don't.

I really like to have lots of background and feedback in missions, not only that - I really like the setting to be as realistic as possible. But that's me. This is how I try to build the missions, and there are people who enjoy them, and others don't have to play them, as simple as that :)

Now I believe what Habu_69 wanted to do was to just ask others what they prefer, and not start a discussion what is better. It is an interesting discussion, but I doubt it will change the way the missions are built.

I see the point of someone being against forcing comments from the virtual player pilot on the player, who might think "hey, that is not a question I would ask!". But then I would suggest to move to multiplayer and into a squadron which tries to maintain as much realism as possible when flying, including radio comms. Though one must be prepared that there will be much more chatter than even in a very message-packed single player mission.

For those who don't have time for MP, missions with greater immersion / more talking between different flights might be the only alternative. But again, this is a matter of preference.

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

What angle is there to discuss exactly? The mission builder made it that way for a reason. If you don't like it- go into the mission editor and change it.

:pilotfly:

Turning off all messages might eliminate AI text transmissions vital to the mission design. There is no right or wrong amount of Player text messages to AI. It is matter of personal preference. I opened this thread merely to solicit opinions of other A-10C pilots on the subject; and authors remain free to design their mission according to their own preferences.

• 1 year later...