130FPS with 2xTitan Black on 4k - but just for 60sec

Dropship Pilot

Hi guys,

I'm looking for new hardware for DCS world. I currently have the opportunity to test DCS world 1.2.8 on a system with a stock 4770k, 16GB ram, and 2xTitan Black (6GB each) in SLI on a single 3960x2160TV limited to 30Hz by HDMI.

When I start the first A10C instant mission (Easy - East Georgia - Spring) I initially get 120-130fps and the green SLI status bar shows both GPUs at about 80%. (Looks and feels great!!! :thumbup:)

The problem is, that after a minute or two the fps goes down to 40-50fps and the SLI status bar goes down to about 30%. This effect is independent of the viewing direction and not reversable. E.g. I have to restart the mission to get back to 130fps.

When I disable SLI (e.g. running a single Titan Black) I get about 50-70fps throughout the mission with no strange effects.

I wonder if any SLI user here observed the same effect (and maybe has a solution).

Cheers,

DSP

I can't answer anything about SLI, but don't forget that DCS is to be receiving a new engine soon, with part of the goal being modernizing the software. It might not be beneficial to shop for hardware based on the current engine given that it's on the way out (as early as this year).

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Great hardware buddy!!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

Great hardware buddy!!!

Yep, but sadly it isn't mine......(yet :music_whistling:)

As for the temperatures - I paused the sim after the initial cockpit zoom while it was still at 130fps and waited a few minutes. When the cards had stable temperatures the fps had dropped to about 110fps. When I continued I had the same effect as before. Killed the first two trucks with the gun, turned toward the patrol and dropped to 50fps.

However, I noticed that contrary to what I said earlier the sim sometimes switches back to the 'high fps mode'. However, I couldn't find any connection to the temperatures or the clock speeds.

SLi in this Software has been beat to death. No one has had success with SLi sense I joined the Forum. I remember a lot of talk about it as the Software received a Graphics update, but unfortunately it didn't change anything.

This is a DirectX 9 Title, it wasn't optimized for SLi. Do a search in the Forum U will see all the post on the subject and no good results. I do remember one post a user stated He increased FPS but we thought it just a fluke or related to something else in his configuration.

As the Software starts up the calibration of the Fraps measuring engine is gearing up, that 120FPS isn't accurate it is just the software finding the mean in the equation.

Edited by AtaliaA1

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

Hy Dropship Pilot

I run DCS on a 780 ti and get the same FPS behaviour you do. If I take the SU-25 out then at times I have in excess of 110 fps and at others under 60. When I deploy weapons and see the explosions the FPS can drop to the low 40's.

It's purely a function of how much is on screen. You can easily reproduce this:

1. Write down you current graphics settings

2. Set all settings to maximum (except maybe the trees)

3. Take off in the SU-25 and fly north along the coast

4. Enable the FPS display

5. Notice that when you're looking over the town with tons of buildings your FPS is likely far lower than when you look over the ocean.

6. Fire a bunch of rockets into the ground and make sure the explosions stay in your field of view - notice that while the explosion is happening you are likely to have a HUGE FPS drop.

Two things are happening here:

1. The more objects (like town buildings) the graphics card needs to draw, the bigger the hit

2. Any dynamic scenery like civilian traffic and other sim aircraft (and who knows what else) will also be taking a load on the CPU.

The first is easy to see using the method above. The second can be a pain because we don't know what the developers do in the CPU time. There is also IO (which is slow) that happens and you can see this when DCS decides to stutter. This is because ultimately there is one huge limitation that no graphics card can compensate for. Each frame, the CPU is used to do the actual simulation. When this is happening, the graphics card is doing nothing. It's essentially waiting for the CPU to tell it what geometry to draw and which transformations to apply. Only then does the graphics card do it's thing and it's only THAT time slice the card can affect.

That was a bit of a ramble and slight over-simplification but I hope that helps you understand the limitations in performance that you are seeing a little better. I am a games developer myself so I speak from some experience.

have a great day...

Maybe your personal nuclear powerplant isn't quite keeping up with your rig.

LoL - a nice ARC reactor in the basement should be enough. :smilewink:

It can keep up with the Valley Benchmark (full load on both GPUs), so DCS shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by Dropship Pilot

atsmith6,

I don't think the CPU is the bottleneck here as even when I climb straight into the sky the framerate isn't going up from 40-50fps. On the other hand there are instances where I can fly over large towns and forrests and still have 100+fps.

I'll check the smoke effects and CPU useage again. However, the fps drop usually happens when I'm well past the two (smoldering) trucks and before I even engage the patrol (and sometimes after the patrol is already out of sight again).

What SLI Mode are you using?

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

There's GeForce Experience Profiles, But I Run AMD, So I cant Really help.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/548123/sli/dcs-world-sli-profile/

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

You say the screen is limited to 30hz?? If that is the case, slam vsync on and you have a steady 30 fps without tearing, as you said it doesn't drop below 40.

But yeah, I'm sure you'd be aiming for 60hz minimum if you were to acquire such a setup. I have been playing on an i7 4770k with a 3gb 780ti, DCS installed on a pretty savage ssd and with 16gb of fast memory and the fps does drop at points. But it usually picks up again once the viewed scene complexity drops. I can only imagine the SLI is not playing nicely.

Sli and x fire are, in my opinion, lame.

Why would you pay twice to get way less than double performance when you could spend almost the same money and get a better single card that is much closer to the golden 2xpower goal.

Edited by Mewle

Intel i5 4690k

MSI GTX 970 4g gaming edition

Asus Z97k Mobo

8Gb Corsair vengeance 1866mhz

120GB Samsung 840 evo

Samsung 1TB Spinpoint hdd

Windows 10

4 channel surround

Hotas Cougar w/ 120mm machined steel extension and elite rudder pedals

DIY collective via bu0836x plus some random buttons and knobs

Cougar MFDs

Running 1920*2104 over 3 screens

Sli and x fire are, in my opinion, lame.

Why would you pay twice to get way less than double performance when you could spend almost the same money and get a better single card that is much closer to the golden 2xpower goal.

This is true for "Todays" Technology. That tech. was created in the late 90's, Unfortunately "Software" did not keep up and can little use the advantages of dual cards. especially a DirectX9 Title.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

People often xfire/sli when the cards bought originally are much cheaper.

Case in point: I bought a top end 7970 for £360 initially 2 years ago. I can now xfire by buying an additional one for about £100 and have better performance than a 780ti in almost all games/benchmarks.

The reason I havent yet is because I want to see first what the graphical requirements are going to be for EDGE .

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

Hi guys,

I'm looking for new hardware for DCS world. I currently have the opportunity to test DCS world 1.2.8 on a system with a stock 4770k, 16GB ram, and 2xTitan Black (6GB each) in SLI on a single 3960x2160TV limited to 30Hz by HDMI.

DSP

I think you ment that the screen is limited to 30Hz?? Because as far as i know HDMI is limited to 60HZ, maybe im wong?

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

Honestly, you should be using display port for 4K.

https://magnitude-3.com/

https://www.facebook.com/magnitude3llc

https://www.youtube.com/@magnitude_3

i9 13900K, 128GB RAM, RTX 4090, Win10Pro, 2 x 2TB SSD

i9 10980XE, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090Ti, Win10 Pro, 2 x 256GB SSD, 4 x 512GB SSD RAID 0, 6 x 4TB HDD RAID 6, 9361-8i RAID Controller

i7 4960X, 64GB RAM, GTX Titan X Black, Win10 Pro, 512GB PCIe SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD

I think you ment that the screen is limited to 30Hz?? Because as far as i know HDMI is limited to 60HZ, maybe im wong?

HDMI 1.4 only offers 4K at 30Hz.

HDMI 2.0 will offer 4K at 60Hz

HDMI 1.4 only offers 4K at 30Hz.

HDMI 2.0 will offer 4K at 60Hz

Ok, but then in a 780Ti running 3 monitors and all monitor recieving input through their HDMI with respective cable converted from the 780Ti, is that making the monitor give out 30Hz or 60Hz? I suppose its not 4K?

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.