Should I upgrade?

I have 25 days left to decide whether I should upgrade from a : EVGA GeForce GTX 770 4GB Dual FTW w/ EVGA ACX Cool, PN 04G-P4-3776-KR to a EVGA GeForce GTX 780 6GB w/ EVGA ACX Cooler PN:06GP4-3785-KR

It would cost me about 125.00 to make this upgrade. I only use a single 2560x1440 monitor, so I know I don't need 6gb memory, but I do not want to step down to the 3GB memory of most of the EVGA 780 cards. I guess my question is, from what I have read, I would get about a 25% Graphics Processing increase. Is that worth it? Are there any Tech Heads still around that could share any info and/or advice on this?

S!Blade<><

Edit: At 699.00$ the GTX780 Ti is out of my price range.

Edited by Blade_meister

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1036?vs=1037

We can't decide how much a frame is worth to you .

Objectively though, seeing as the 780 is about 426 euro's, and the 770 about 275 euro's, it seems it's not a bad deal. Not mindblowing good but ...

Do you have to trade them your old card ? Because in that case you might be better off if you'd sell this one yourself, and get a 780 yourself, maybe even second hand

If you can keep your old card (and sell it), the question is easy. Then do it.

Edited by Maximus_Lazarus

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I cannot keep my GTX770, I have to turn it in and pay about 125.00$ to step up to the GTX780. The memory transfer rate is slower, but the memory band width is greater plus's the 780 has many more Cuda Cores . I am still not sure what I will do?

S!Blade<><

It's a good question- since a motherboard with SLI / Crossfire capability is a start- but putting that pairing together in a poorly ventilated case can definitely lead to some issues with the cards of today.

I'd recommend an "enthusiast" level case that takes these types of setups into account and provides ventilation from the front, sides, top and rear- generally (and I've seen pages and pages of debate on it but let's stick to the question) these will intake on the front and side while exhausting to the top and rear. ensuring a steady supply of cool air coming in and warm air being exhausted.

Newer cards have some pretty elaborate heat sinks and exhausts of their own- but longevity can be found in keeping components cool. Good case ventilation is a crucial factor not only for your GPU(s) but also your CPU(s), RAM and mobo.

Edited by ENO

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

SLI slots on mine are pretty close together as well. Like ENO said, a good case with ventilation setup right is key and my setup is similar to what ENO laid out. I have a decent size case with fans in the bottom and front to pull the air in, then fans on the top and side of the case pulling air out, with the rear fan slot being devoted to the CPU's liquid cooling radiator. I haven't had heat issues so far.

"Hurled headlong flaming from the ethereal sky; With hideous ruin and combustion down;
To bottomless perdition, there to dwell; In adamantine chains and penal fire"

(RIG info is outdated, will update at some point) i5 @3.7GHz (OC to 4.1), 16GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 970 4GB, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV, Razer Blackshark Headset, Obutto Ozone

snm3qh.jpg

Make hole in side of case, buy 200x200 fan , all your heat problems are over for ever.

Fan is big so low rpm and really silent.

As for sli cards, i think they are always kind of close together, the cards are designed to put their heat out through the backside.

Though i do think that something like this could could some heat issues no matter how well vented your case is

4waysligtx480-sg.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Rig is clean as can be :).

it's funny though, every month or so, I open the case up, and take off the 240mm radiator and blow it out, and it's ALWAYS a cloud of dust coming off that.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

My HAF series cases (well, the 932 and HAFX) came with filters which I never fully appreciated until I had them. Op- if you're still listening- don't be afraid to spend a little more on a GOOD case with filters and fans you need. Granted there will be some openings that you could add to but for what you're doing the stock case fans would be fine and easy. You don't need a full tower but mid will be as small as I would go personally.

In some cases people want to choose their own fans for their purpose... But that polishing the cannonball a bit. Good airflow unfortunately means the thing turns into a vacuum no matter which fans you're using so some filters would be a nice bonus.

Edited by ENO

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

I took the filters out.

The air just moves through my case at a volume and pressure that no dust can settle.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, do it. You get more memory for future-proof. 384 bit bus instead of 256 bit. It just sounds too good to be true like you pay but they trade for you for a refurbished rma'd 780 or something for your working one. I don't like evga's tactics at all especially after the evga precision stunt they did on unwinder.