PC Build Questions

Hello everyone. First post here so excuse me if this is in the wrong area. I just recently discovered DCS and it has given me the final motivation I need to build a PC. I have been debating on building one for other sims as well, racing, ms flight, xplane etc. I would like to be able to play on high/max settings on a single screen and wanted to know how this setup would work and if it's well balanced or any suggestions on where to go. I'm fairly new to building pcs but have some basic knowledge of them overall. Any help is appreciated and let me know if I missed anything. Thanks!

CPU- i5-4670 3.4/3.8 GHz

MOBO- ASUS Z97-A LGA 1150

GPU- GTX 770

RAM- Crucial 16 GB DDR3-1600

Storage- Crucial 256 GB SSD

Case- Corsair C70

Cooling- Stock?

PSU- Corsair RM750

**If I were to go with the 4670K should I upgrade cooling for over clocking?

Don't use stock cooler... buy a 15/20$ one even if you don't overclock. And, as of right now, dcs greatly benefits from OCing, so pay the extra 10$, so that if in 3 years you ain't getting goods fps (assuming edge doesn'T changes anything) you'll be able to change that. also, a 4670 wont be better than a 4570, as dcs only uses one core.

Why not go for the new Devils Canyon i5-4690k? It apparently has lower thermals so better for overclocking. It should be released very soon.

Asus Maximus VII Gene/i5 4690K @4.6Ghz/EVGA GTX 1080 Classified watercooled/16Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133Mhz/2 x Corsair 128Gb ssd in Raid 0/1 x OCZ Revodrive 3 x2 480Gb/1 x Seagate Barracuda 2 Tb hd and 1 x WD Caviar 600 Gb hd/EVGA Gold 750w psu/Corsair H80i cpu cooler/Windows 10 Pro 64-bit/Corsair 500R case/Corsair K95 keyboard/Logitech MX Master wireless mouse/Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog #41581/VKB T-Rudder MK2 pedals/TrackIR 5/Samsung 49" 4K 3D Screen/Samsung sound bar and sub.

Why not go for the new Devils Canyon i5-4690k? It apparently has lower thermals so better for overclocking. It should be released very soon.

It is out and in stock most places. Amazon 4690K 3.9GHz $239.99.

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Core-i5-4690K-Processor-BX80646I54690K/dp/B00KPRWB9G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1403467729&sr=8-2&keywords=i5-4690

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I'll definitely look into coolers. This set up actually came under my budget so I still have room for extras. And Im not sure why I haven't noticed the 4690K during my searches. Thank you for that! Also, I'm primarily looking to run sims but wanted to know if this set up would be ideal for FPS games. Are flight sims more demanding than FPS games? Or vice versa?

Look at some of the closed loop water cooling setups.. They aren't that expensive (Under $100) and will allow you to overclock pretty aggressively.. (or if you don't want to overclock then it allows your system to run VERY cool even under load and heat is the primary killer of computer equipment... I have an Antec on one of my machines and it runs cooler at full load then it did at idle using the stock cooler. I kid you not!

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

Look at some of the closed loop water cooling setups.. They aren't that expensive (Under $100) and will allow you to overclock pretty aggressively.. (or if you don't want to overclock then it allows your system to run VERY cool even under load and heat is the primary killer of computer equipment... I have an Antec on one of my machines and it runs cooler at full load then it did at idle using the stock cooler. I kid you not!

Wow thats pretty nice. I was looking at what corsair offers but thought that might be overkill. I do like the idea of being super efficient!

Also, I'm primarily looking to run sims but wanted to know if this set up would be ideal for FPS games. Are flight sims more demanding than FPS games? Or vice versa?

In general, flight sims are limited by the CPU, while FPS games get held back by the GPU. Either way, your setup should give quite respectable performance on any game out today. It looks like it's right in the sweet spot for price/performance too. I think that's the place to operate in, you have to be careful to not get into that diminishing returns on computer hardware. :thumbup:

i5-4670K@4.5GHz / 16 GB RAM / SSD / GTX1080

Rift CV1 / G-seat / modded FFB HOTAS

• 2 weeks later...

With all this speak about cooling, rule number 1 always make sure your case is well ventilated plus having a good amount of air flow. You can run stock cooler - eg (I do) i7 980 3.75Gz(Fan cooled) Old yes, but still very awesome, get a decent case with maxim flow!. :)

My system specification

i7 13700KF/ Z690 Aorus Elite/ 32GB/ Galax 4080/ ViewSonic Elite XG320Q 32/ Next level racing - Sim cockpit - Boeing editing / 3x MFD's, Trackir 5/ TPR/ Orion2 F/A-18 Throttle/VPC WarBRD Base/ Hornet grip/F-16 grip/ HP Reverb G2

:thumbup: