Idle position on TM Throttle fails to power engines

terminatahx

OK, I've been killing myself trying to figure this out. Still working on the complete startup procedures but have run into a snag. When moving my TM Warthog Throttle to the Idle position, it doesnt fire up the R/L engines. I have to use the keyboard command. Anyone know how to resolve this?

thx,

You have the throttle at off, correct? then move the left engine throttle forward to idle?

from your check list, before starting the left engine you've done this (at a min):

- turn on battery switch

- turn on inverter switch

- turn on all the boost pumps

- APU switch to start

- what till it gets to 100%

- turn on APU Gen, and the left & right generator power

- then you move the left engine throttle lever from off to idle

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Yes. You are starting the engines one at a time so...

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

If you start the mission with your throttles in the "off" position, the sim doesn't pick it up. You need to have them in "idle", then once you're in the jet move them to the "off" position.

Then proceed with the startup.

Also do them one at a time :)

If this happens, simply put the throttle back to Off position and to idle/start, again. As said before, it is important to start them independent, one at a time. Left first(!) then right (something with generators powered by left engine etc.)

Monitor the warning light panel on the right console, uppermost left light ("Engine start cycle") lights up when an engine is spooling up.

When the light is off, you may start the second engine, though it is advisable to monitor the RPM and EGT gauges, also.

Last tip: check if you have the box with "Sync HOTAS on Mission start" in the options checked. Sometimes this causes trouble, as well.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

From what you guys are telling me, it sounds like my problem is that I have both the left and right side of the throttle "merged" via that stick/switch. So I need to unmerge them, and start the sim from the throttle off position on both sides L/R.

Correct. Also, that little connector bolt is a concession to simmers and does not exist on the real throttle.

If you start the mission with your throttles in the "off" position, the sim doesn't pick it up. You need to have them in "idle", then once you're in the jet move them to the "off" position.

I see people mention this problem all of the time, yet I have never seen it myself. With HOTAS sync enabled, I never have to cycle my throttles.

Edited by Harzach

dcs_sig.jpg

carrollhead - If you plug in your controller, Windows itself may not recognize it until you move one of the axis (even though it goes beep). Maybe if you move the throttle through it's range after you plug it in, it'd be recognized in DCS without having to do the on/off bit..?

Correct. Also, that little connector bolt is a concession to simmers and does not exist on the real throttle.

In addition to this point, when I started flying the A-10C with the Warthog, I always locked the throttles after engine start. But when I learned that there is no such lock in the real aircraft, I got rid of this habit and now I keep them unlocked all the time. In the beginning it felt a bit weird, but in time it's as natural as it used to be before I made that change.

It's only when I push the Left Throttle Button (AP engage) that I inadvertently push the right throttle a bit forward, however this little push is not enough to yaw the aircraft off course. Still, I wonder if this happens IRL as well.

I see people mention this problem all of the time, yet I have never seen it myself. With HOTAS sync enabled, I never have to cycle my throttles.

It happens to me sometimes, but not all the time. So far I wasn't able to make out a clear pattern.

On the other hand, I had the sync checkbox unchecked although I'm not exactly sure why. I just checked it and will keep an eye open to see if this hiccup persists.

I've tried everything mentioned here and I still can't get that to work. Also, when I engage the "controller sync" in DCS options, my controls act even worse. TM Device analyzer shows the throttle and stick are flawless. Really frustrated about this, but it looks like I'm just going to have to live with it.

thx all,

I've tried everything mentioned here and I still can't get that to work. Also, when I engage the "controller sync" in DCS options, my controls act even worse. TM Device analyzer shows the throttle and stick are flawless. Really frustrated about this, but it looks like I'm just going to have to live with it.

thx all,

Do you actually see the hotas 3D model move, when pushing your warthog to idle? If the answer is yes, it might sound dull, but try to execute the move slowly, very gently (off to idle). Not snail slow, but avoid being too quick/harsh.

Do not use TARGET software but instead remap correctly only trimmer in-game and clean it up from all view commands.

Test your throttle movements in pit on cold airplane, confirm you can achieve cut-off, idle, max positions - observe thottle moving inside pit and on controller debug view as you move your TM Warthog Throttles, there's a short for it. Test both L and R throttle.

Tell us your results.

Double check INVERTER and APU before starting engines.

If you own TM HOTAS Warthog it is pretty much plug and play except stick TRIM control, which must be cleaned up from view commands.

What is your version number?

Edited by Shaman

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

looking down via my track ir, I don't even see the throttle move at all. I don't use Target at all. Please explain "remap correctly only trimmer in-game".

I'm not being rude - just checking! Have you unpaused the sim when you try this?

By default, the grey hat on the stick is mapped to move your view around. You need to go into OPTIONS -> CONTROLLERS -> A-10C SIM and delete that assignment. Replace it with Trim.

It's like that so people without a TrackIR can look around using the stick.

While you're in there it might be worth checking that the throttle axes are correctly assigned to your stick. You can also check to see if the sim is "seeing" your controller by presing RCTRL-RETURN on your keyboard (while you are in the game). A red box will appear showing the position of all of your controls. Try moving the throttle and the stick to see if anything moves on the diagram. If it doesn't then the most likely thing is incorrect controller assignments.

If you're not even seeing the throttle move in the cockpit, this leads me to believe that the axes aren't properly assigned in the control options.

Make sure your assignments look something like this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=100309&stc=1&d=1403860520

Screen_140627_111324.thumb.jpg.2bcd362028e5149574bfdc0d06228af2.jpg

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Do not use TARGET software but instead remap correctly only trimmer in-game and clean it up from all view commands.

Test your throttle movements in pit on cold airplane, confirm you can achieve cut-off, idle, max positions - observe thottle moving inside pit and on controller debug view as you move your TM Warthog Throttles, there's a short for it. Test both L and R throttle.

Tell us your results.

Double check INVERTER and APU before starting engines.

If you own TM HOTAS Warthog it is pretty much plug and play except stick TRIM control, which must be cleaned up from view commands.

What is your version number?

With engines cold, I have NO movement on throttles.

Inverter and APU are ON before starting engines.

Fuel pumps etc. also? I guess yes. When you open the windows gamecontroller properties (where it shows all the buttons for testing) do the switches light up when you move the throttle from off to idle? They should. So you'll know if the buttons are send. Now go into the DCS options controller page, check ALL is selected in sections and move the throttle from off to idle it should jump to the mapped command! Now we know if the profile is correctly receiving from the button.

Next check if the throttle moves in the sim. Check game is not paused, anything else doesn't matter. Simply check if the virtual throttle in the plane moves over the hump to idle as the physical on the HOTAS Warthog does? If all that is a positive we need to check procedures.

• Like 1

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

thx all,

You do know there is a hump on the throttle don't you? You have to lift the throttle levers over the hump to get it into the idle position. The levers are only in the Idle position when they are fully back and over that hump. Then to start the throttle you have to lift the throttle up and forward over the hump.

Edited by Dudester22
  • Like 1

IIRC people with old throttle firmware had such kind of problems. Problem was that buttons number 29 and 30 do not engage (Throttle Off position).

Please check that they work by placing both throttles to OFF, open control panel>devices and printers then open throttle properties (see screenshot)

If they don't work, then use TM Warthog firmware update utility and update throttle firmware to v.20 (i think it's the latest), stick firmware - 11.

buttons.thumb.PNG.59967a7ff48a4368c3082a6873872d20.PNG

You do know there is a hump on the throttle don't you? You have to lift the throttle levers over the hump to get it into the idle position. The levers are only in the Idle position when they are fully back and over that hump. Then to start the throttle you have to lift the throttle up and forward over the hump.

Dude, I am forever in your debt. I never even realized that hump was there until you mentioned it. The way you described it forced me to focus on actually finding it and lifting the throttles. Thanks a million!

Thanks everyone for your help in this! This community is amazing! Onto Navigation systems training :)

• Like 1

Please read more about your expensive piece of hardware and make sure your firmware update and driver is latest.

Notice you can add another detent on top of throttle range to allow for afterburner control if you ever need it (no afterburner on A-10C).

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer