A question still lingering in my mind

I own DCS p-51D module. When DCS WWII is out, do i have to purchase it in order for my p51D module to fly into? Or once you own a DCS WWII bird then you are automatically eligible to fly in it? I asked around a bit. Some people said yes while others said no. So I am still unclear on this.

There is no guarantee, of course, but it was stated from the beginning that the aircraft would be compatible with both sims.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

There is no guarantee, of course, but it was stated from the beginning that the aircraft would be compatible with both sims.

"Both sims" meaning DCS world and DCS WWII 1944? So let's say DCS WWII will cost about $50 when it comes out and p51d module will cost about $30. In order to fly p51 in DCS WWII, i'll have to pay $80 altogether. But if I own p51 now, then when WWII comes out, I only need pay $50 for WWII itself? Is that how it would work in this scenario? I am trying to make sure that I don't have to purchase the same module again in order to play DCS WWII.

Until DCS WWII is released, there is no way to be 100% sure. Besides, regardless what the answer is, how does it affect you now? Since you already own the P-51 and WWII is not out yet the answer is meaningless.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

As far as I understood things DCS WW2 it would function like DCS:W - a free to download map and we would buy modules to use in it. Here is a quote from the kickstater main page:

DCS World, is distributed via a free-to-play model. The core game is available free of charge...

DCS WWII: Europe 1944 will also distribute via a free-to-play model, with the core game available as a free download!

Since the DCS:W P-51 (and FW-190) were to be cross-compatible with DCS WW2, if you already own the P-51 you wouldn't have to pay anything to use it in DCS WW2. Whether the situation changes since the kickstarter project failed, who knows, but I'm sure if there is a change of plan ED will let us know.

Edited by Bounder

My PC specs: Win10 64 Pro, CPU i7-3820 4.4GHz, 16GB RAM, GPU Nvidia 1070 (8gb vram).

Controls: Microsoft FFB2, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Pedals, TrackIR5.
My DCS Youtube Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/No64Bounder

I never did understand the logic of having separate DCSW and DCS WWII - even less so now that DCS WWII is being completely done by ED. It just seemed/es destined to create extra overheads and compatibility issues between the two.

Why not just release the DCS WWII Europe map as another DSCW EDGE compatible map, along with Nevada and other future maps (Korea, Vietnam, Middle East ...). The scenario editor can control what aircraft are available in a mission.

IMHO the current map should be the default map available free with DCSW. It will run under EDGE when released. We should have to purchase the new Nevada map (unless you were an original DCS A-10C beta backer). We should also have to pay for the new WWII Europe map (unless you were a DCS WWII Kickstater backer). As we have seen from Matt, a lot of time and money goes into these maps/ modules. Releasing DCS WWII as a separate model with a free map seems to be fraught with unnecessary complexity, compatibility issues, duplication in many areas and potentially lost revenue.

just my $0.02 worth

(Declaration: I am not an A-10C beta backer, but I am a DCS WWII Kickstarter backer)

Edited by Phantom453

I never did understand the logic of having separate DCSW and DCS WWII - even less so now that DCS WWII is being completely done by ED. It just seemed/es destined to create extra overheads and compatibility issues between the two.

Why not just release the DCS WWII Europe map as another DSCW EDGE compatible map, along with Nevada and other future maps (Korea, Vietnam, Middle East ...). The scenario editor can control what aircraft are available in a mission.

IMHO the current map should be the default map available free with DCSW. It will run under EDGE when released. We should have to purchase the new Nevada map (unless you were an original DCS A-10C beta backer). We should also have to pay for the new WWII Europe map (unless you were a DCS WWII Kickstater backer). As we have seen from Matt, a lot of time and money goes into these maps/ modules. Releasing DCS WWII as a separate model with a free map seems to be fraught with unnecessary complexity, compatibility issues, duplication in many areas and potentially lost revenue.

just my $0.02 worth

(Declaration: I am not an A-10C beta backer, but I am a DCS WWII Kickstarter backer)

The separate install is likely to have a separate environment with all WWII Era specific objects.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I'm looking forward for this game, just bought the P51. I still got some question about it too.

1. Is each plane going to be sold for $30 or what ever price they decide?

2. I have to buy the ww2 map too?

Specs: i7-4790K @4.00 ghz, EVGA 2080ti , 16GB ram, Samsung 512GB SSD x2.

Gear: Virpil Alpha stick with Mongoos T-50CM2 throttle, Combat-Pro flight pedals, Track ir 5 & Reverb G2

just my $0.02 worth

Agreed. This would seem to be simplest route and maybe have an option to set the era of the ground units (30s-40s), maybe one day (50s), modern, etc. One set of keys to work with everything would be great and I'm sure other module players would love to see the Euro theater(pay for it).

I'm looking forward for this game, just bought the P51. I still got some question about it too.

1. Is each plane going to be sold for $30 or what ever price they decide?

2. I have to buy the ww2 map too?

I get the feeling it may take alittle while before they decide how the modules are going to be packaged or if they will retail them separately with the bonus system. Probably have to wait till we hear how or if they are going to package the planes before the decision on the map to non-backers is decided. Remember we're still waiting for the Nevada map how many years later.