Satelite view on ME?

Is there any way to see a sattelite view while placing objects on Mission Editor? I'm populating an airbase and is pretty frustating to place all those things one by one and having to load the game each time. old Flanker 2 had this option IIRC.

Thanks.

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

No.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I think what people have been doing is running an MP session in the background- making a change, save it, load that MP Session... viewing. Change, save, load, view.

I haven't done it yet so maybe someone can clarify. There are threads that talk about it but I went on a brief search and didn't find one.

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

I think what people have been doing is running an MP session in the background- making a change, save it, load that MP Session... viewing. Change, save, load, view.

I haven't done it yet so maybe someone can clarify. There are threads that talk about it but I went on a brief search and didn't find one.

Wow, this is pretty clever...Thanks for the tip :)

Never bothered with MP things, can you please develop?

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

• 2 weeks later...

EDIT: There is now a better solution available as part of "DCS Witchcraft" (see page 2 in that thread).

I think there is a solution to this problem.

My browser-based mission planner includes a mechanism to save unit positions to a file and update the mission with the new positions (see the last post in the thread).

You could:

1. Make sure the units you want to position can be controlled by a CA player (you can change them back to something else later)

2. Make sure the AI will not start shooting if there are enemies in range (e.g. set them to invisible or set ROE to Weapons Hold)

3. Create a way to trigger the state saving in step 6 (you could use a trigger and the F10 radio menu as described in the linked post or use dcs-httpd and write a small URL handler)

4. Create a mission planner instance

5. Run the mission and use Combined Arms to position all your units in the game

6. Save the mission state to a file

7. Use the mission planner to generate a new mission file with the updated unit positions and continue editing that with the DCS Mission Editor

The process is more involved than it has to be, but it is available right now and depending on how many units you are talking about may still save you time (and will probably be less annoying even if it does take slightly longer).

And now for the "what would happen if we (the DCS players) had infinite resources to dedicate to this" part:

Using the experiments I described in this post, it would be possible to build a web-based multiplayer mission editor (i.e. multiple people can edit at once) where all changes would be instantly reflected in a running DCS: World multiplayer mission (so you can check where in the 3D world your units ended up).

Such a project, while possible, would require much more time than I have to complete, but maybe in the very distant future...

Edited by [FSF]Ian

• 2 weeks later...