Progression

Belisarius

So I'm slowly getting comfortable in my new cockpit and adapting to "fast jet-itis"... Biggest problem right now is aquisition of targets and once I see them maintaining visual contact after the merge. I get very disoriented and can't find the bad guys until they light me up, usually from my six..not good. Would you guys recommend turning on labels for a while, as a crutch, till I get the hang of it?

What is your monitor resolution? If it's not really high, tracking another plane can be a challenge. Also, are you using Track IR or a controller to look around?

I can't tell you if it's best to use labels or not, different people learn different ways. I've never used labels, even when I was getting used to looking around using my X52's POV hat. I suppose if the issue is one of controls (ie you're not comfortable using whatever you're using to look around) labels probably won't hurt. If the issue isn't controls, but just knowing how to scan the airspace, I guess you could try with labels off and then flip them on (LShift F2 by default I think) if you don't get anywhere.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

You could also modify your labels.cfg so that after merging, your symbol of choice and color will label the aircraft up to a specified distance.

i7-4790k stock 4.4 / gtx 980ti / 16gb ram / 256gb ssd (os) / 256gb ssd for apps / Acer XB27OHU 27" g-sync

Biggest problem right now is aquisition of targets and once I see them maintaining visual contact after the merge. I get very disoriented

This happens to everyone who starts out sir, its hard enough just to fly your aircraft in some situations never mind doing it without looking forward!

It takes a lot of practice to get used to it, my advice would be to just keep doing what you are doing ... you are going to get better sir its just going to take some time.

For now set up single player missions with just one enemy aircraft starting in the air set on average (let me know if you can't do this and I will help you). Have him start 15-20 miles in front of your aircraft and just keep fighting him again and again.

You don't need TrackIR to fly BFM although it does help, I don't use TrackIR and I get on just fine.

The problem however is the golden rule in BFM.... lose sight... lose the fight!

So its really important in the long run that you can fly your aircraft at corner speed without having to look forward at the HUD all the time, ideally you want to be looking at the bad guy 90%+ of the time during the fight.

Try keeping the enemy visual during and after the merge and dont bother with looking at your HUD for a few attempts just to get the feel of tracking someone and get better at that. It doesnt matter if he shoots you down, your getting practice here at 'looking' at the enemy for now.

Once you've got some practice tracking the enemy visually, then start working on snapping your head forward to the HUD to quickly check everything is going well (your speed is above 350kts etc) then look straight back at the bad guy. Then you can start to focus more on flying the aircraft and killing the enemy rather than just trying to keep an eye on him.

I would stay away from Labels as much as you can, it may be helpful for 2-3 attempts but ideally you want to be getting used to not needing them at all... cause when it matters... you wont have them :)

Just like most things in life practice really does make you perfect but it will take some time, once you have done it 100+ times it becomes a lot more natural and you can be a bit more intelligent about how you position your aircraft!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

Thanks for the awesome responses. I must confess that I tried instant action with labels this morning, before reading your responses. It was great to be able to turn the tables and be an instant fighter ace, BUT, I will turn them off...er...soon..

Agree with practice, practice, practice but get a big monitor if you can.

It helps great for SA as you can actually see the targets when they are still small pixels.

Not sure how the sighting will be with the Oculus Rift but my 47" LG big screen makes it easy to spot targets IMO.

Once you go big you never go back.

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates

What kind of screen is it exactly Sabre? I didn't know they made them that big... Is it a 1080p TV?

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Using a 27" asus HDMI monitor..says something about 1080 p...don't know what that means but it's pretty big. Would love to go bigger or three screens but I'm a computer illiterate and can't deal with the frustrating, scary technical crap. I'm happy my rig works as well as it does, track ir and the tm warthog hotas are friggin GREAT as are the entire dcs series.

I found tweaking my GPU and anti-aliasing helped the sharpness of being able to spot things. There are some really helpful posts on here if you search. I even spotted a missile once, coasting and out of fuel which was amazing. DCS has some good resolution when set right.

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

So here I am flying on a 19" :)

I must've spent 2 years or so in the beginning flying a 15" - good old days :)

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'