collective inputs too sensitive

Using Flight links controllers. Please see specs on my Bio.

Having difficulty controlling altitudes, particularly during hover. Seems that millimeters of collective adjustments generate large changes in torque/altitude.

In game axis tuning doesn't allow for reducing sensitivity without changing end points of collective input. The controllers run off Windows game controller which defers any adjustments to game.

Might be issue inherent with collective device itself, in which case ill just have to get use to it.

Any thoughts on this much appreciated.

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Having never flown the AC myself. I can only speak as a person who has watched others fly it. And this was from 30 years ago. But from my recollection, the Huey was not overly responsive to the collective. You could plainly see the pilot moving it up or down to change the aircraft's position. You could certainly feel it. But......I'm using the X52 which is about 5 inches long as compared to the actual Huey stick which is over 24" long. That must certainly come in to pay here.

I don't use the actual throttle stick for my collective anyway. I get better results using the lower rotary that's right next to where my thumb naturally would fall. It serves me well because I know that the AC is going to start becoming buoyant right after the tick in the dead center of the switch travel. People have told me "watch out" it will change with your load but it really doesn't at all. The only thing that seems to change with load is the torque, so I have to use more rudder control and pull back on the stick a little more. But load doesn't effect the collective at all if I'm using the rotary. The AC starts lift right after that mid tick, no matter the load.

Unrealistic....perhaps. But there is no comparison between a simulator on a home computer and actually flying anyway. The feeling and sensation of the AC moving is probably 3/4 of the experience. So.....button collective....stick collective???? No matter.

Experiencing similar response to my controller at liftoff but behavior during hover is different story. 1-2 mm excursion on collective can lead to a plummet or rapid assent. Very frustrating. Tried all kinds of "curves". No doubt prob is in the Hardware. Can upgrade this unit to 12 bit but decided to go with Komodosim Huey collective. 12 bit hall sensors. Should do the trick.

Thanks for your input.

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

• 3 weeks later...

Just expanding my post a little here as I have done elsewhere now.

I have tried the following controller devices and all have the same problem.

Saitek Throttle Quadrant

Warthog Throttle Quadrant

MSFF2 Stick Throttle Thumb Wheel

Logitech G940 Throttle Quadrant

All exhibit the same problem, all feel like they are on a knife edge with a tiny margin of middle ground between having any lift and having seemingly too much/full lift :joystick:

I have played with those yes ?

That to me feels like it is masking the problem rather than fixing it, the pitch of the blade feels like it is spiking to me ?

I would be nice to fix the problem in the long run maybe ?

I have played virtually ever heli sim / game ever made since the 80's and never experienced this before ? i would expect many more dead helicopters & pilots if it was this touchy in real life ?

Like Golani said, you need to be gentle. Your power margin is pretty narrow with the huey, especially with any sort of load.

LG 34UC97 34" 3440x1440 monitor | 2x GTX-980 G1 Gaming

I7-5820k @ 3.3GHz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 2133Mhz

Samsung 840 EVO 120GB & 1TB SSDs | Seagate 3TB HDD

TM Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Combat Pedals

I can fly her ok, I just have a harder than expected time of balancing that collective between too much and too little, too little equates to a smoking hole in the ground most of the time :music_whistling: :joystick:

FWIW the collective on a Lynx is not even close to this in RL, but as it is a completely different chopper I concede my experience with that one is like comparing apples and oranges :D

I can fly her ok, I just have a harder than expected time of balancing that collective between too much and too little, too little equates to a smoking hole in the ground most of the time :music_whistling: :joystick:

FWIW the collective on a Lynx is not even close to this in RL, but as it is a completely different chopper I concede my experience with that one is like comparing apples and oranges :D

Make another thread and post a track and we will figgure it out ... smoking holes usually are an indication of a problem other than a too sensitive collective. :o)

I've heard about these problems. AFAIR BST changed the collective behavior some time ago. Before, it was relatively smooth. After the update, it became as was described in this thread (though I don't remember which update that was).

From what I've read, the new behavior is closer to the real thing, however it does feel off on our typical sim hardware because, as Tuco said, the length of an X52 or Warthog throttle is way shorter than an actual Huey collective.

FWIW, here's my collective setting for the Warthog right throttle. With this curve, it feels even better than before BST changed it. Be aware that I didn't invert the axis (ie., in my setup throttle idle = collective bottomed, throttle max = full collective; if you fly with the axis inverted, like many people do, you'd have to change all the values around obviously).

attachment.php?attachmentid=109144

BTW, thx to Shagrat, because I simply adopted his collective curve to my needs. :thumbup:

Edit: This mission got me hovering like a pro: Hover practise. Even though the second test seems broken ATM (see post #53 there), it's still very well designed, I can't recommend it enough! :thumbup:

Yurgon_Warthog_right_throttle_UH-1H_collective.jpg.22cc9812e11a9529707b937aef64c2f1.jpg

Edited by Yurgon