I just bought A10-C on sale

Well, since there is nothing for me left to learn in FC3 (i am now pro after a couple of weeks as demonstrated below) ....

fe2uz8.jpg

2dhwhux.jpg ... it's time to move to the next "challenge" .

Taking my above average talent into consideration, and also the fact that the A-10 is a much slower and therefore simpler aircraft than the F15 , how much of this sunday should i need to become pro @ the warthog ?

Also, i have the highly acclaimed "X52" stick. I chose the NON "pro" version, because i think that would be overkill in my situation .

x52_4a96835f50f68.jpg

Does it have enough buttons for the A-10 though ? Considering the A-10's much older and crappier systems ?

Thanks in advance. I expect many answers swiftly.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ah, a fellow dutchy

Congratulations! You have been chosen to be my mentor once i have reached "formiliar with aircraft" level.

Then, later, when i am @ pro level , you can say : "i taught him everything he knows" :noexpression:

edit* No ? :D

Before this spirals out of control, i feel i need to mention that i am obviously kidding. I know the A-10 is difficult :) The only real question i have is ... is my saitek X52 enough , button wise ?

Edited by Maximus_Lazarus

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"the fact that the A-10 is a much slower and therefore simpler aircraft than the F15"

Simpler? LOL! nope

Ofc it is much simpler! Tons of keyboard shortcuts that you have to memorize for the F-15 vs. , well, none! for the A-10C. If you need something, just click something in the cockpit!

@ the OP - I think, 20 minutes up to 30 minutes and you should be good to go. Doesn't take much longer than that for the first startup from cold&dark to engines running and NAV being aligned ... :o)

You can use this stick. You will need to map "shift states" though to be able to get all the regular A10 HOTAS onto it, plus I found a couple of things moved from throttle to stick. There are two conventions to use the X52. One set of people swear by the Saitek software and using that to map, the others set a blank profile and map in DCS.

I suggest you pick one then get the A10 manual and map the buttons as near as they fit exactly from the manual/RL. It will take more than a hour. It does work better if you can get as near as possible to the RL as it's designed to be used that way and after several hours you get to dance around quite nicely in a way you cannot previously understand having never felt it.

Then what follows is single player and releasing weapons until you have muscle memory.

Then you go online and perform role with a paper and pen and every time you need to press a button you write it down on a piece of paper.

At the end of each session you assign these extra buttons to your Joystick in the order of how many times you needed to press them.

It's painful and slow but has amazing results and feels great once done.

PS I never mapped the slider (didn't behave nicely) the mouse stick and a couple of the "wheels", they are redundant. It doesn't bother me.

PPS you might have missed a few responses with your Dutch humour :) I think some people might have been put off by the epeen part.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Oh it's vital for my own play to have the pinkie switch set to a shift in DCS to get the 4 way switches to change function - it's why i use the empty profile and bind in DCS, but i think it's important for you to keep an open mind about that so I gave no recommendation.

There's plenty of profiles and posts kicking around int he forums - check them, try them, but ultimately do your own thing, it's key.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Yeah the hotas warthog looks so nice. Probably feels a lot nicer as well, that's why i would buy it , for the weight alone . The X52 is so featherlight feels like a toy.

I'll stick with it for now though, maybe the A-10 is too much for me to take in would be a shame if i bought an expensive stick then.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Taking my above average talent into consideration, and also the fact that the A-10 is a much slower and therefore simpler aircraft than the F15 , how much of this sunday should i need to become pro @ the warthog ?

Taking your talent into consideration i think an afternoon is enough. :smilewink:

Does it have enough buttons for the A-10 though ? Considering the A-10's much older and crappier systems ?

Thanks in advance. I expect many answers swiftly.

I learned the ka-50 with that joystick. Had no problems until i tryed a mod i saw on the net. After that it just stop working. No clue why. :joystick:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asteroids

Update this

:D

Saying the A10C is simple when coming from FC-level aircraft is something you should not do, but you'll se that yourself.

The stick is a quite good choice, I fly with it myself. Don't get yourself fooled by the pro version! The only real difference is the color...

If you intend to create own profiles, which I would recommend, you will find that it costs a huge amount of time to get the keys together you need and bind them on the stick in a manner that serves you well.

Apart from the hardware needs, you will learn the basic things with the A10C tutorials provided by the game. I started with these and they cover the needed things to get the bird in the air. For further information on certain topics you can always try to search on youtube, there are some good tutorials out there. I'll just use this opportunity to advertise my chanel ^^

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5MIKnLTvpc_mHrTx2h6sug

Only two tutorials til now, but as soon as I find some spare time a tutorial about hotas control and data management will follow, aswell as a series of weapon employment.

I used the JackBauer X52 profile while I had my X52. It worked just fine. Yes, there are enough buttons to get most of what you want out of it. (with the pinky shift key thingy).

I also ended up doing both the magnet and tension mod. Those really helped the joystick. (scan about hear, you'll find that profile, and the joystick mods too).

good luck with you're "learning" sim. :thumbup: you can't go wrong with the A-10C, it's an awesome platform.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I prefer to use my pinkie switch as the actual pinkie switch in the game. I put my modifier on the clutch button (disable clutch function in the HOTAS config menu in the task bar).

Pro tip. Using "bands" with the little mouse nub on the throttle I mapped the speed brakes via the keyboard keys. Handy as thats right where the real one is and it gives you a proper use for that useless mouse thing.

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.