Best Silent Hunter?

Razor5-1

IV, heavily modded. Admittedly, I have never looked into mods for V.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I vote for III. The mods for it are awesome, and even though it's long in the tooth, (in sim life), it's still great.

http://www.thegreywolves.com/

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Silent Hunter III has the best gameplay, but the graphics engine (1024x786) sucked. There were several mods correcting this but noone was ever really stable for me.

Silent Hunter IV was okay for the IXD2 boat, but misses many features from SH3. Silent Hunter V is joke with this american nutshell.

Someday I hope for a real Silent Hunter so I can say: The boat is back ;)

Edited by tarracta

I played 1-3 a lot. I skipped IV, and continued with V. V is very buggy and gameplay didn´t convince me so I stopped very quickly.

III is my favorite, especially with grey wolves mod. The only thing I resent and caused me to stop playing is that whenever your torpedo hits your location is magically revealed to enemy. I am not 100% sure in this, but the last time I remember reading about this it was hardcoded in game. Sometimes this becomes really annoying.

I bough empty double DVD pack (for original SH3 and mods). If I ever get back into SH it will be SH3. Maybe 6 will be better:music_whistling:

SHIII with grey wolves expansion without a doubt. You won't be able to walk around in the boat but it's a small niggle offset by the depth (see what I did there?) of the simulation.

A classic... Go for it!

"It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage..."

III, IV and V are all good these days. III needs Grey Wolves, but is fairly showing its age now. IV needs quite a few mods, but really comes into its own. Sober's Mega Mod is good for 5, but be careful with the realistic navigation mod. Too much for me, that one.

Who wants to be in japanese of worse, american submarine ?

No , when it comes to subs i only want german ones.

SH III for me

Yeah, I mean who wants to be in the submarine team that had actually accomplished what they were sent to do by the time the war was over? :D

On the serious side though, with the Real Fleet mod, I'd definitely say SH4. Better graphics, wonderful gameplay with the mod, and different taskings like insert spies and commandos, recon missions, etc., instead of solely "go patrol that grid. Go patrol that grid. Go patrol another grid".

I vote for III. The mods for it are awesome, and even though it's long in the tooth, (in sim life), it's still great.

http://www.thegreywolves.com/

Geez, if SH3 is long in the tooth, then what does that make Falcon 4.0? Are we talking Battle of Thermopylae or even farther back?

For me, III ever so slightly edges out IV, but I love both. I'm looking at this purely from a mechanic standpoint:

There's a greater disparity of performance between the vessels in III than there is in IV. Both have their low end vessels (Type II/S-Boats) and their high end vessels (Type XXI/Balao-Class), but there's a greater difference in performance between Type II and Type XXI than there is between S-Boat and Balao-class.

However, I do appreciate IV's expansion, quite a bit. I need to unlock the Type XVIII in it, still.

As for V? Eh, I didn't care for it. For starters, I'm not a huge fan of the Type VII. Too middle of the road for me. I'd rather use almost any other boat. And the changes made to the game really didn't endear me to it.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

Yeah, I mean who wants to be in the submarine team that had actually accomplished what they were sent to do by the time the war was over? :D

On the serious side though, with the Real Fleet mod, I'd definitely say SH4. Better graphics, wonderful gameplay with the mod, and different taskings like insert spies and commandos, recon missions, etc., instead of solely "go patrol that grid. Go patrol that grid. Go patrol another grid".

Scrim can you provide a link to the real fleet mod. I have the whole series from III onwards and prefer III but have problems in that it wont run on Windows 7 64bit unless anyone knows a fix

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

SHIII really was my favourite. I never got as excited about SHIV. As others have said though if you mod 4 or 5 up they both hold up quite well so it's really down to what you like being.. an American or German.

The guys at subsim are real nice and will give you the best advice for what "mod soup" will suit you.:)

Geez, if SH3 is long in the tooth, then what does that make Falcon 4.0? Are we talking Battle of Thermopylae or even farther back?

Long in the tooth, but that don't mean I still don't use it. I do, SH3 is an awesome sim (with the mods, gotta have the mods).

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

The guys at subsim are real nice and will give you the best advice for what "mod soup" will suit you.:)

Agreed. Great guys and outstanding resource.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Long in the tooth, but that don't mean I still don't use it. I do, SH3 is an awesome sim (with the mods, gotta have the mods).

Yeah, I was just kidding. SHIII + GWX is the best damn experience there is. Though, I recommend new players play vanilla first since GWX does love to kick you in the pants.

If I don't like them, I advise them to try it immediately!

And to sail Northeast after 1944.

Edited by MiG21bisFishbedL

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

Price back up to £6.75 now.

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen