Just for clarification - Creating a module is not easy

Dear DCS fans smile.gif,

Since I sweeped through the complete forum, the amount of people, which cannot wait to have a module released is rising and rising.

I don't know if you ever started to create a module for DCS but those who do, will agree with me that this is not a walk in the sunshine.

That what you see in DCS is the result of years of work. You don't see the background what it makes the module look: realistic, good looking and fun to fly.

I don't wanna sound rude :) but the reason why I wrote this post, is for those "I wanna have it NOW" people. I urge you to consider that we have the load of work, NOT you. Like I wrote above - It takes time to satisfy all expectations for all of you and of course satisfy the conception of DCS -> you have to show balls smile.gif

A modul is not done in a year or two and additionally when you have to find out how different things work in DCS.

The newer the aircraft is, the difficult is it to get a clearance to make it close to 100 % realistic. That's why you may see the older one's in DCS.

Additionally, most of the developers have a job so they are doing there MOD in the sparetime and/or after work.

So if you don't agree with me, try to:

- collect data which are necessary for a module

- model the Exterior-Model with all details and always have a limited amount of triangle in the neck

- model the Cockpit-model with all details

- check the performance, so that it runs without stuttering on lower end PC's

- unwrapping all objects and creating the textures. (one texture may have up to 30 layers in photoshop to look realistic)

- adusting the textures so that, the closer an object to the pilot is, the more detail it must have

- Model all four LOD's

- creating the damage model/damage textures

- creating the destroyed model

- creating specular -and normal maps

- animate everything

- baking AO's and ckeck back in the game if it don't look "too" unreal

- check how the lighting influences the look of the textures (night and day) in the game

- finding proper sounds which are not copyrighted

- code everything

- code an accurate flightmodel (AFM/PFM) -> thanks to phant

- Write the whole documentation in different languages

- check back with the army/airforce what you are allowed to do or not (I for example signed a contract of the Nato which says that I'm not allowed to visualize airforce stuff which is not 100 % checked by the proper persons of the german airforce).

The realistic the module will get the more the responsible persons will have an eye on the signed contract. book.gif. As soon you breach the contract, your flying in a balitic curve into jail.

- Further on ...there may be persons which are actually in charge of that what you can do or not and when you ask them, they are suddenly not responsible at all doh.gif

Thanks for your patience

Edited by The_Fragger

2D/3D Artist

MILTECH-5 /PD

Lead 3D Artist - TrueGrit Virtual Technologies

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

BO-105 PAH1A1/VBH / HKP-9A / BO-105 CBS-5 KLH

Eurofighter Typhoon

https://www.facebook.com/PolyDynamicsDCS/

Windows 10 (x64)

3x Corsair SSD GT 250 GB

Mainboard: Asus STRIX Z390-F

CPU: Intel Core I9-9900K @ 3.60GHz

RAM: 64 Gb

Graphics: MSI GForce GTX 980 TI 4GB

HOTAS Warthog

Hofmann Simpad Rudders

Oculus Rift / Oculus Touch

Heavy Metal is the law ! :punk:

+1

Thought I'll pop by while finding stuff [Max open].

You can add testing, testing and more testing.. then having to start unwraping again because something is wrong...

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

You can add testing, testing and more testing.. then having to start unwraping again because something is wrong...

yes :thumbup: I had that yesterday...

2D/3D Artist

MILTECH-5 /PD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Eurofighter Typhoon

Windows 10 (x64)

3x Corsair SSD GT 250 GB

HOTAS Warthog

Hofmann Simpad Rudders

:thumbup:

Thanks for the insight.

And I guess, it then also requires to go through a lot of this several times to refine stuff - perhaps you only notice a glitch in the 3d model when you are working on the textures ... that suddenly won't fit or don't look right.

The coding part is at least as complex as the 3d and graphics part, I would assume. And I am not even talking about the flight model. Alone the programming for the systems modelling requires detailed understanding of the instruments, how they physically work (which involves dealing with stuff like g forces, air pressure, etc.) and how to represent them in an algorithm.

As an software developer in the ERP world I can only remotely grasp what might have to come together there. Trigonometry is probably the easiest part.

For example, have you seen the representation of the alignment process of the TARSYN of the Avio Guys? How the hell might the formulas look like to do something like that? :o)

Just saw it yesterday....simply outstanding .

2D/3D Artist

MILTECH-5 /PD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Eurofighter Typhoon

Windows 10 (x64)

3x Corsair SSD GT 250 GB

HOTAS Warthog

Hofmann Simpad Rudders

I understand the point you are making about the trials and tribulations of building out a DCS aircraft module. Like you said, it takes a long time and a lot of work.

Then there's the added stress from the communities impatience, but I believe there is a simple solution for this part.

Don't announce your project until it's done. :smartass:

• ED Team
I understand the point you are making about the trials and tribulations of building out a DCS aircraft module. Like you said, it takes a long time and a lot of work.

Then there's the added stress from the communities impatience, but I believe there is a simple solution for this part.

Don't announce your project until it's done. :smartass:

It wouldnt surprise me to know there is stuff out there being worked on that we dont know about just for that very reason.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Couldn't agree more with you there Fragger. It's no easy task.

I'm actually compiling a list of all elements needed to get an aircraft into DCS based on lessons learnt from doing the Hawk, which of course helps us massively going forward for future development.

When that's done, I'll share it :)

Thanks for posting :)

• ED Team

I'm actually compiling a list of all elements needed to get an aircraft into DCS based on lessons learnt from doing the Hawk, which of course helps us massively going forward for future development.

That would be a helpful thing for a lot of people I think, I think its hard for people to grasp the sheer work involved in creating a module... very cool idea Chris....

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

That would be a helpful thing for a lot of people I think, I think its hard for people to grasp the sheer work involved in creating a module... very cool idea Chris....

Or... education for those who can't or won't, so they can understand how much work it is.

how bout you just dont take so long to release this stuff....problem solved....now we can go to crying about the bugs.....and the fact that the summer sale started 8 hours after I bought it at full price.....

there is so much whining to do...slow development is holding up the real cryfest...plz hurry and release it so I can quickly start complaining.....

....for the love of god, wheres my F-18c.....(and carrier ops)...(and more ground units)....(you know what, AND a F-16c)...(and, I wanted all this back in 2009).....(tighten the **** up).....

jk

• Like 1

It only takes two things to fly, Airspeed and Money.

how bout you just dont take so long to release this stuff....problem solved....now we can go to crying about the bugs.....and the fact that the summer sale started 8 hours after I bought it at full price.....

there is so much whining to do...slow development is holding up the real cryfest...plz hurry and release it so I can quickly start complaining.....

....for the love of god, wheres my F-18c.....(and carrier ops)...(and more ground units)....(you know what, AND a F-16c)...(and, I wanted all this back in 2009).....(tighten the **** up).....

jk

:megalol::megalol::thumbup:

2D/3D Artist

MILTECH-5 /PD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Eurofighter Typhoon

Windows 10 (x64)

3x Corsair SSD GT 250 GB

HOTAS Warthog

Hofmann Simpad Rudders

I look forward to that. Much appreciated.

Good Grief