Do any DCS aircraft (or expected future ones) use dual knobs?

doveman

I need to order a couple of dual encoder knobs with push switch function for my Dad's X-Plane panel, to control the civilian COM/NAV radio, GPS, etc.

I was about to get myself a couple whilst I was at it for when I build my DCS panels but then I realised I wasn't sure whether any DCS craft even use dual knobs, with or without push switch, so do they?

I mainly fly the KA-50 at the moment and can't see any in that. What about the A-10C or UH-1H? I don't suppose they could be used with the FC3 aircraft, even if they do have any, due to the simplified avionics but maybe I'm wrong?

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

Not at the moment, the dual knob seems to be a mainly civilian thing but who knows what the future brings. I would get a couple anyway if they are reasonable and you save on P&P.

AMD A8-5600K @ 4GHz, Radeon 7970 6Gig, 16 Gig Ram, Win 10 , 250 gig SSD, 40" Screen + 22 inch below, Track Ir, TMWH, Saitek combat pedals & a loose nut behind the stick :thumbup:

Thanks. I won't buy myself any for now then, as they're not exactly cheap (£14.99 plus £4 for the knob) and it's free shipping on orders over £20 anyway, so if I did want to get one or two in future, I'd could easily get free shipping again :)

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

what is dual mode? a knob that can be depressed?

No, it has two shafts, an outer and inner, which can be turned separately and thus work as two encoders in one. The one's I bought also have a push-switch function by depressing the inner shaft but I think you can get some without. They're quite expensive at £14.99 though, so it doesn't make sense to use them for instruments which have two separate knobs side by side, as you can buy two single encoders for £4-5 each (or much less on e-bay but the quality might be questionable).

doveman;

I don't know about all the modules as I don't have them all, but of the ones I have the answer it 'no'. However, some use a dual switch...which is a double shaft with the inner shaft being a rotary encoder and the outer shaft being a rotary switch. If that helps you.

doveman;

I don't know about all the modules as I don't have them all, but of the ones I have the answer it 'no'. However, some use a dual switch...which is a double shaft with the inner shaft being a rotary encoder and the outer shaft being a rotary switch. If that helps you.

Hmm, that's interesting. I've not come across such a control available as a component, so perhaps we'd have to use a dual encoder to replicate it, with the outer shaft acting as the rotary switch. Not ideal but I'm not sure what else we could do. Which particular instruments have this control?

Yeah, the ILS frequency knob on the A-10 is a rotary knob ringed by a rotary 2-position switch.

Honestly, though, I can't see a military design implementing a rotary knob inside a rotary knob: Combat aircraft cockpits are designed to require minimum attention from the pilot, and it's too easy to accidentally jostle the wrong shaft of a dual-knob.

Yeah, the ILS frequency knob on the A-10 is a rotary knob ringed by a rotary 2-position switch.

Honestly, though, I can't see a military design implementing a rotary knob inside a rotary knob: Combat aircraft cockpits are designed to require minimum attention from the pilot, and it's too easy to accidentally jostle the wrong shaft of a dual-knob.

Yeah, I heard that combat pilots get easily confused, unlike the far cleverer civilian pilots :music_whistling::smilewink:

I guess for the ILS knob, it would probably be cheaper to just have a 2-position switch (whether rotary, slide, toggle) next to a single encoder, as the dual encoder is a bit expensive just to use the outer shaft as a 2-position switch. Obviously wouldn't exactly match the cockpit but I think I could live with that if I'm saving £10 but for those who really want it to look as authentic as possible, the dual encoder is probably a reasonable compromise.