Time for an upgrade or should I wait?

I'm about to be able to put around £1000 towards upgrading my PC. Now I'm looking for opinions as to whether I should spend it now, or put it aside for some months.

Currently, I have an i7 950, which is overclocked to 4GHz. I also have an NVIDIA Gtx570. I play on only one 1080p monitor at a time. The GPU and CPU are really the parts I'd be looking to replace. (of course the CPU would necessitate RAM and a new MB)

I'm thinking of getting a 6 GB GTX780 and maybe one of the new Haswell Refresh processors.

Should I keep my current setup until the 800 series and whatever CPUs are around then? The 700 series has been out an unusually long time.

Also, if I buy a Corsair H100i (this would just come from my everyday spending money, so does not factor into the upgrade budget), if Intel release new processors which require a new socket, would I find myself unable to continue to use the cooler after the upgrade?

Any opinions are appreciated. Please note that I tend to be impatient when I have money to spend, so I'm likely to ignore advice to wait, even if I think it's correct.

Go for it mate, I just specced my mate a mobo and cpu, a Z79 ROG board for 130 quid. I bought the Maximus V Formula last year but if I was planning on upgrading, I would get the Maximus Vll Ranger.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-611-AS&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=2811 My mate also got a I5 4670 to go with the board. He was using a I7 950 with a ROG board and he is well happy with the new system. He kept his old 6 gig of RAM and his 660 ti so he can upgrade them after a while.

Edited by Bearskin

GigabyteZ390, 9900K, RTX2080, 32 gig RAM,TM Warthog, Cessna Pro Pedals, Pico 4

I just built this a few weeks ago, decided to do a complete overall. Now I'm flying happy

IMG_4478_zps4aab33f0.jpg

IMG_1509_zps2e15aa33.jpg

IMG_1502_zps98aa140e.jpg

IMG_4534_zps19262887.jpg

Here is the Specs:

Switch 810 Full Tower Chassis

Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming G1 Wifi-BK

Intel i7 4790

EVGA GTX 780 TI Classified w/Back Plate

Corsair AX860i PSU

Corsair CPU Liquid Cooler H100i

Cougar Fans 8x CF-V14HB and 2x CF-V12HPB

Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram 1866 Mhzz

Intel 530 Series 240GB SSD

WD 3TB Black Series HD

Soundsticks III Speakers

Logitech G602 Mouse

2x Dell U2414H Monitor

Roccat Ryos MK Pro Keyboard

Saitek X-55 Joystick

TrackIR 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nice rig. How do you like the HK Soundsticks? I have been tempted to buy a set.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I love these speakers, they look and sound amazing. Got it on sale for $100 a little while back.

the wireless version of the G602 mouse (the one I have) has an amazing battery life. On "gaming mode" it delivers up to 250 hours of nonstop playing. On conservative model, it delivers 1440 hours. I still haven't charged it after a month of playing so its pretty damn good. Got it for $50

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks. The look of the Soundsticks caught my eye at first too.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Go for it mate, I just specced my mate a mobo and cpu, a Z79 ROG board for 130 quid. I bought the Maximus V Formula last year but if I was planning on upgrading, I would get the Maximus Vll Ranger.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-611-AS&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=2811 My mate also got a I5 4670 to go with the board. He was using a I7 950 with a ROG board and he is well happy with the new system. He kept his old 6 gig of RAM and his 660 ti so he can upgrade them after a while.

So, did your mate see a big difference with the new CPU?

Also, a 55 inch screen? You clearly haven't seen my flat. I suppose that's a good thing. It'd be creepy if you had.

Just had a chat with him and he says that everything loads faster and the games are smoother. He also noticed that with his old I7 that when he looked at his cpu cores, not all of them were working, whereas with this one, (he got the K version 4670) all the cores are working. He is still running it at stock 3.5 so I am going to talk him through getting it up to 4.0 as he said he will be happy with 4.0. I have the ROG MVF and a 3770K clocked to 4.5 and with his old system he was always down on frame rate compared to mine, so it will be interesting when we have a game next to see if he is on par or better then mine. Playing ARMA 2 OA the other night and he said he couldn't believe how easy it was to kill the enemy AI compared to his old board and cpu. So it looks like his old system couldn't process the AI movement as good as his new system.

HTH mate.

GigabyteZ390, 9900K, RTX2080, 32 gig RAM,TM Warthog, Cessna Pro Pedals, Pico 4

Awesome set up SuperKungFu!! Dare I ask how much excluding the monitors and peripherals etc? As for buying current hardware, well it's a never ending battle. You think you'll wait for the next one, then you tell your self the next next one will be even better still lol. I have a superclocked GTX680 and it is still serving me well. I'll upgrade when the rift arrives if need be, I don't need to otherwise. Go for it and make yourself an awesome set up now, you'll spend your life waiting otherwise ;)

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

Awesome set up SuperKungFu!! Dare I ask how much excluding the monitors and peripherals etc? As for buying current hardware, well it's a never ending battle. You think you'll wait for the next one, then you tell your self the next next one will be even better still lol. I have a superclocked GTX680 and it is still serving me well. I'll upgrade when the rift arrives if need be, I don't need to otherwise. Go for it and make yourself an awesome set up now, you'll spend your life waiting otherwise ;)

I've had roughly equal inputs from both sides.

My current setup is basically my first ever PC build. At that time, there was a lot of talk of people waiting for Sandy Bridge (Dec2010/Jan2011). I didn't wait, as I had time off, and I didn't have a gaming PC at all at the time. Now, it doesn't matter so much. I do have a very capable PC.

The main issue is, if I put money aside to build better, later, I might spend it before I build. My biggest concerns are that the 700 series of graphics cards has been out longer than many recent generations. Also, games recently have been really upping the textures and VRAM use, so having 3GB could be a concern (although in that case, I suppose I should go for a 6GB 780). I dislike AMD's drivers and software.

According to the CPU and GPU charts on Tom's hardware, I'm fine with my current CPU, but could see real benefit from a new GPU. Of course, being a member of this forum, many of my preferred games are CPU bound (even if I like the less cerebral stuff, too)

the total with everything including the monitors, the joystick, the trackir, keyboard, mouse, speakers, and the rig itself was $3037.84. The monitors was 200 each.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not a cheap hobby. I paid a fortune for mine, I'm thinking I'll actually have a go at building one when it needs replacing. I wanted to build my current one last year but just didn't have the knowledge or confidence given the cost of the components I chose.

Not a cheap hobby. I paid a fortune for mine, I'm thinking I'll actually have a go at building one when it needs replacing. I wanted to build my current one last year but just didn't have the knowledge or confidence given the cost of the components I chose.

Seriously, unless you are overclocking, once the components are selected, anyone can build a PC. It is virtually impossible to do it wrong, IMHO.

Seriously, unless you are overclocking, once the components are selected, anyone can build a PC. It is virtually impossible to do it wrong, IMHO.

No kidding!

These days...no motherboard jumpers, no irq conflicts, no driver conflicts, no ram shortages(640k)...

No giant ribbon cables...(SATA is a frickin dream compared to IDE...)

Shall I go on?

Well there is a chance to fry some components if you're not careful about ESD. Most chips do have some protection against that but that goes only so far.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Yeah, but given that the graphics card alone cost me more than the latest console, I didn't mind paying Chillblast a little premium to do it all properly rather than risk my fat man hands breaking bits. They ended up going through four faulty 680s so it was probably a wise decision. I will certainly do it all myself next time.

Well there is a chance to fry some components if you're not careful about ESD. Most chips do have some protection against that but that goes only so far.

Agreed, but the most minimal precautions will all but eliminate that risk.

EDIT: Build the machine on a humid day and the risk drops to near zero on it's own.

Edited by cichlidfan

Yeah, but given that the graphics card alone cost me more than the latest console, I didn't mind paying Chillblast a little premium to do it all properly rather than risk my fat man hands breaking bits.

Back when I first started fixing computers, as part of my job, 16MB of memory was a 10x12 inch rack mounted card that cost several thousand dollars. Even though I am paying for my own parts, the price doesn't make me blink much.

I'll bet it did the first time you attempted it though.

At work, yes. I used to spend more time grounding everything than I did fixing it. By the time I did my own, I was confident that I wasn't going to blow anything up.

Open up task manager while dcs is running and look at your CPU usage.

Then send me your gtx 570 and buy a titan or a pair of 290's...

How do you open task manager while the game is open, can't find a key combo that takes me out of full window mode.

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2