How much Jinking

Pinefang

If the jist of the OP was to say "I'm stalling while jinking", and then the fix was to reduce elevator throw, that's not the best approach.

You're going to want the full elevator travel in other situations. Better solution would be to develop a finer touch while flying, or worse case, use curves.

i5-4670K@4.5GHz / 16 GB RAM / SSD / GTX1080

Rift CV1 / G-seat / modded FFB HOTAS

You actually want to ride the first stall warning (steady sound) for an optimal turn. I wouldn't restrict your axis.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

I'm sorry I didn't leave the question in but when I realized what the solution was I tried not to waste anyone's time with the post but it looks like that didn't happen. I wish you could delete a post once you realize you shouldn't have posted it.

So here is the question/problem.

When I jink at no matter what speed I immediately get the stall warning and the aircraft starts to shutter and I finally lose control. With enough altitude I can usually pull it out but it sucked having to go through this every time I had to go defensive or even try a tight turn.

After watching my maneuvers from outside the cockpit I realized that the elevators where traveling to far. I adjusted the curves and can now jink with just the first warning without the stutter and loss of control now. Boris thanks for the info on the stall warning it seems to work pretty well.

How are the elevators traveling too far? Do you mean beyond their designed limits?

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Cichlidfan I knew I was going to get push back on this but all I know is that when I adjusted the X and Y saturation of the elevator did it stop. I'm not sure if there can be too much travel in the stick but that seems to be what I was experiencing. That is the best that I can explain it.

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn't sound like your elevator is moving past its limits, it sounds like its just having so much of a pivoting effect on the axis from nose to tail that it is exceeding the angle of attack and creating unstable airflow over the wings or stalling the region of air around the elevator. I'm not an expert in aerodynamics or aeronautical engineering; but the elevator does have a fair bit of travel to it, and making an instantaneous maneuver/movement could allow it to temporarily exceed some envelopes for airspeed and AoA specific to that airfoil and its surroundings. i.e how the air is moving around and exerting forces within the tail section once the elevator is put at an extreme angle. It should be very simple once you hear that stall tone to back off of the control a bit and then ride the solid tone. The a-10 isn't fly-by-wire so its ultimate actions are controlled by you, and not by a computer taking your input and crunching away at numbers thousands of times a second to determine if it is feasible. When you think of a jet that does, you see that even if an f-16 pilot applies full pressure on the stick at maximum speed the elevator isn't going to go to its full (in comparison) downward/ position that it can at say an airshow. The onus is on you to know the limits and get a feel for when you can do certain maneuvers, it will come gradually and shouldn't be at the expense of saturation and curves, however this is understandable if you are on less accurate/precise hardware. I know it sounds harsh but its not meant to be, it just makes it clearer. Messing with curves is like saying "well, when i use the gas in first gear my car moves really jerky, so ill give the pedal a 4 foot throw" neglecting the effects at a higher gear where sudden applications of the accelerator are dampened out and you have an overly long pedal range to move through. Same thing: "Well, my plane stalls when i pitch up using full throw at high speed, ill limit the overall throw so that it only moves half way" sounds good but really (using figures like this just to demonstrate the concept) 5 degrees of elevator causes a pitch of 10 degrees/second at 300 kts (when max is say 5 degrees/second so you limits movement of the elevator to 3.5 (half of 5) degrees to stay within envelope), and then 5 degrees of elevator causes a pitch of 2 degrees/second at 150 kts (so now 3.5 degrees of elevator is only causing a 0.5 degree/second change of attitude). it will take 10 seconds to change 5 degrees! And dont even forget about structural limitations. Now you limited your full throw to 3.5 degrees thinking its all you need at 300 kts when you would be in a combat situation, and make it a danger at takeoff and landing or even more dangerous- an engine out situation where you have limited power available to you at any given time- where suddenly full hardware throw has minor affect on your attitude. Trust me with that one, i have in-game experience with that situation. Its not pretty and just makes you wish you had left the saturation. Also if you make any changes to the curves and saturation, you have to reacquaint yourself with how your physical hand movement affects the a/c at various phases/speed of flight. Obviously my figures are way out of proportion (except linearly (if you get the relationship)-super pun there :megalol:) ) as they were just to clearly and concisely demonstrate what I have experience/noted and what happens.

-Zee Pet

Edited by Zee Pet
  • Like 1

||i5-9600k||MSI GTX1070Ti Duke||16GB DDR4 G.SKILL Ripjaws V||Gigabyte Aorus B360||X56||

Zee Pet Thanks for your in depth explanation, you deserve some rep power. I concluded the same thing about the loss of travel through curving and saturation. I decided I needed to control the aircraft with its default controls travel so I removed them. It is hard to get used to the limits without any force feed back but I guess the warning horn will have to suffice. Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Glad I could help out! Don't worry, you'll be able to manage it without the feedback if you keep practicing. I found flying in the valleys really helped me out because it kept me close to the ground and forced me to learn how far I could push and at what speeds. And its fun! Especially with friends.

-Zee Pet

||i5-9600k||MSI GTX1070Ti Duke||16GB DDR4 G.SKILL Ripjaws V||Gigabyte Aorus B360||X56||