Quality tutorial series (and mission)?

Archer7

Hey, ten days ago I bought DCS A-10C Warthog and the training missions are easy however going into the campaign is going into a world of shit.

I don’t understand the briefing… though start anyways. No instructions, can’t contact base… I continue up. Aircraft tilts, some other guy chasing me (Wingman?)… and then die terribly because countermeasures weren’t on. D’oh.

After a few tries the first missions aren’t so difficult though I’m not at all satisfied with my awful execution.

So is there any good tutorial video series, or even a more complete interactive tutorial series that I can download?

Of all the missions included is there any where you start off on the ground with everything in the aircraft cold and objective to go bomb something easy with no time constraints?

I could use a quite basic mission to train in. Then I could have the manual and YouTube videos open on my smartphone in my other hand while actually being in game.

The tutorials in this game insufficient by the very definition of the word.

I suppose it’s all going to make sense after I’ve gone through all the documentation… eventually.

Edit: d'oh... double-checked the stickies now and saw that there was one with tutorials. Only saw the one with questions.

Still: what's a good mission to train in?

Edited by Archer7

Hi, you're probably not going to like my answer, but what's been working for me is studying the manual, watching youtube clips, and flying simple missions. I've been at it for over 3 months, and I haven't even attempted a campaign yet. Also there's eaglewiki where a lot of training docs are. On this forum, check out WarriorX's posts, he put up some good tutorial ppt's. Unfortunately there aren't an extensive set of training missions that give you tons of step by step feedback like the ones that are included w the game.

AUDENTES FORTUNA JUVAT

--------------------------------

Asus Sabertooth X79, Intel I7 4320K, 8GB Crucial Ballistic DDR3 1600 RAM, Nvidia GTX 750 1GB, 120GB Crucial SSD, Dell 24" LCD, TIR-5, Saitek X52 Pro.

Actually I checked the tutorial wiki out now and a lot of the sites are dead...

I’m also unable to find any tutorial series that goes through everything in order… if they’re not systematic I might end up missing something. Not to mention you usually end up going through the same thing over and over again.

Indeed it seems I’ll be going through the manual bit by bit, try stuff out and if something doesn’t work out well I’ll search for a specific video if there is one.

Get a headset and get on Teamspeak then join the Hoggit tuesday night noob training missions. It is in the multiplayer servers under hoggit TNN. I usually get on about 6:15pm Pacific time but I think there are people on as early as 3:00pm Pacific. Here you can fly with other people that have a lot of different experience and plenty of people that are very welling to give you any and all the help you could want. Don't be afraid to ask for help for any thing you are having trouble with. See you there. Go to the Reddit sub reddit /Hoggit, there are full instructions there on how to get involved.

Edited by Pinefang

Well, if you just want to fly like a pro instantly, this is just not going to happen. Get ready for lots of reading, watching tutorials, then learning the things you've seen step by step. Even in MP you need some basics or just repeating what you've been shown to make it your second nature. I spent more than 140 hrs in the pit and there still are things I haven't even tried. And that's what I love about this - for lack of a better word - game.

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

It's not a game; it's a way of life! ;-)

AUDENTES FORTUNA JUVAT

--------------------------------

Asus Sabertooth X79, Intel I7 4320K, 8GB Crucial Ballistic DDR3 1600 RAM, Nvidia GTX 750 1GB, 120GB Crucial SSD, Dell 24" LCD, TIR-5, Saitek X52 Pro.

Once you are ready you can test yourself with our Qualification Campaign.

Sounds interesting! The hardest thing about starting games blindly is learning what you have to learn. That's why I wish the game came with better tutorials. Even if they blew they would give me an idea of what to learn. The qualifications may give me something concrete to aim for.

If anyone else has similar frameworks to work by bring them on!

Why don't I simply play the campaing until I hit a wall?

Because there are insufficient walls. You can complete the first mission without setting up your comms and ending it by crashing your A-10C into the ground and ejecting out of it... and it still counts as some sort of "win"...

Well, if you just want to fly like a pro instantly, this is just not going to happen. Get ready for lots of reading, watching tutorials, then learning the things you've seen step by step. Even in MP you need some basics or just repeating what you've been shown to make it your second nature. I spent more than 140 hrs in the pit and there still are things I haven't even tried. And that's what I love about this - for lack of a better word - game.

I'm on summer vacation and can easily spend a whole day straight playing games... so I do usually get good at doing things quickly.

A-10C is by far not the only game I'm playing though.

Edited by Archer7

the best and realistic training missions is by Sabre-TLA. They are by far the best missions I flew and I'm eagerly waiting for his Tactical Qualification Campaign so I fully apply what I learnt.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I did the quick mission Georgian Spring Easy until I got all the targets nailed. Lots of learning in between, of course. In the campaign it is very important to stay in friendly territory until the weasels and the cap have done their work.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

I still haven't got around to learning the HOG, however my advice from BS is to help yourself. I am going to assume you know how to "fly" because if you don't starting with DCS is possibly not the easiest curve to be on. FC would be a better place to start.

To start, open up the mission editor, drop an A10 on the ramp of your favourite air base, set it up as you, save it and then load it.

Get in the cockpit and use the "auto start" key stroke, taxi and take off. Get used the the a/c, learn how it handles. It should be pretty straight forward where the flaps are and gear controls are, and that's pretty much all you need to begin with. Do take off's and landings, low passes, approaches etc. Just get used to flying it. - Remember it's just you, no need to worry about other a/c or ATC etc.

Next, find or create a document with the start up procedure in it. Print it out and follow it, rinse and repeat this on the basic mission you created. As your confidence grows throw in bad weather and times that vary from 1200hrs in the middle of summer.

Now edit the mission and put in a few trucks parked up somewhere and load up on a different weapons. Watch a few videos on youtube about how to fire them and go blow up those trucks. Once your confident with different setups change the mission, hide some tanks or put something in that can shoot back. - I admit at this point the HOG is going to be far more complex than the BS, but that thing is more difficult to fly at first than the HOG, so it's swings and roundabouts.

Now you are that you are fairly confident in operating the HOG you can either get online or fly the missions.

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]