Eurofighter Crash - Pilot Killed

Sad indeed.

Maybe they should change the name of the airbase.

LOL. Indeed 'Moron' somehow sounds bad.

I think the real question is whether there's something about the layout that needs changing. Two at the same base is kind of coincidental.

Two in 240,000 hours of flight.

It's always good to see people talking some sense.

...now, I wish they'd look at things with the same perspective when talking about other hot-button systems like F-22 *rolls eyes*

And while overall mishap rate has been excellent, I do agree with the earlier poster; it's somewhat odd that there's two at the same field, but not at other fields operating the type. Just coincidence, or is there something about that field (or the unit operating off of it)?

I would say it could be both. You can't really do proper statistics when n=2

Another good reason why one field could have more accidents than another could be if the training is usually happening there.

I didn't check, but probably there are more accidents with CF-18 in Cold Lake than elsewhere in Canada (just an example).

Another good reason why one field could have more accidents than another could be if the training is usually happening there.

I think this is a good point. According to the Spanish Air Force website, regarding the Moron base functions:

"(...) y realizar el adiestramiento inicial y el reentrenamiento de todos los pilotos de material EF2000 (C.16) del Ejército del Aire"

"(...) and perform the initial training and re-training of all EF2000 (C.16) pilots in the [spanish] Air Force".

Not only Spanish pilots, other Air Forces train their EF pilots there too (e.g. the previous accident in 2010 was during a training flight of a Saudi pilot).

http://www.ejercitodelaire.mde.es/ea/pag?idDoc=ADF7C73CC41CC8EFC12570DD00429CDC&idRef=EFF6AA9D77EEA3EDC12574590025F03A

A sad fact anyway :(

It's always good to see people talking some sense.

...now, I wish they'd look at things with the same perspective when talking about other hot-button systems like F-22 *rolls eyes*

And while overall mishap rate has been excellent, I do agree with the earlier poster; it's somewhat odd that there's two at the same field, but not at other fields operating the type. Just coincidence, or is there something about that field (or the unit operating off of it)?

It could be a training issue but both losses occurred at low altitude while landing or taking-off, when a bird strike suddenly halving thrust could be disastrous. Just a theory.

The pilot had a little more than 600 hours flying the typhoon.

Until the investigation of the mishap is finished , nobody can guess what happen there, but with that experience maybe we can discard a lack of experience from the pilot.

Also some witness reported that the aircraft fall to the ground short after take off on a dive attitude, even that is not clear.

The pilot had a little more than 600 hours flying the typhoon.

True I forgot about that bit. I guess that leaves bird-strike or an entirely unrelated problem that's occurred twice at this spot by coincidence.

I wonder if all landings and take-offs are done in the same direction. I'm just trying to figure out whether both losses of control could have happened at the exact same point.

On the 2010 accident, it was due a tail strike on the take off, performed by a Saudi pilot making the initial transition to the type.

After that, a loss of power was noticed ( speculation: nozzle damage? ), the spanish instructor was able to leave the aircraft, the Saudi pilot was not.

The aircraft then hit the runway with violence, and the pilot was badly injured and died hours after.

Edited by tomcatter
spelling