A question about the link for download any modules of ED....

Hello :)

I have on little question for the Eagle Dynamics team, since few days when we want dowload any modules from the download page we have just one link for dowload one modules and also DCS Word.

Since I've bought and downloaded all my modules we have many links for the same module, (Germany, UK, US links) and I found this solution perfect because we can chose the best "FTP link" with the best bit rate (Germany is good for me) but now we have just one link for downlad any module, of course we have the BitTorrent network but this method it's not my favorite.

Guys of Eagle Dynamics, please can you tell me if all these links for the same module will be available once again in the future ? :helpsmilie:

Is it just for the Summer Sale 2014 ? :cry:

Please can you inform me because if I can "play" with your different links it's better for me because if the bit rate is too slow with USA (it's one exemple) I can choose one other link as Germany, UK, etc...

In advance I would like to thank you for your answer. Skull :thumbup:

Short summary:

1. You fear the probable slow download speeds occuring when downloading from one central source, since it may be placed way distant apart from your region.

2. You dislike torrents.

3. You would prefer all stuff downloadable from different region's ftp-sites like it was before.

That single link automatically picks the best server for you.

How is that determined? Does it work like the autoupdater?

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

and, btw, there's something coming for the autoupdater within a week.

Anything would be an improvement. Currently it is hit or miss, whether you get a useful connection.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

• ED Team
You might want to read this.

Do we know where all the torrent servers are and who is managing them?

Torrent is a technology to make bit-perfect copies using a peer-to-peer network. The torrent file contains hashes of what to download from peers.

No middle-man can inject anything into our torrents. This is not technically possible by design.

If you downloaded the torrent file from our site, you can be sure you'll get what we intended, no matter who your peers are.

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

By the way, all the major gaming industries use torrent and peer-to-peer technologies. Look at Blizzard with its launchers. I'd like it something cool (a launcher) like that for dcs.

As for virus, just invest in a good bought, original and not freeware antivirus :)

As for virus, just invest in a good bought, original and not freeware antivirus :)

...and trust where you get your '.torrent' files. :)

Do we know where all the torrent servers are and who is managing them?

The Torrent link on the download pages are handled by a Tracker at ED.

You are confusing the word "server" here, I think: the article talks about, for example, "that kind of site" where you can get stuff for free... ;) The word "server" does not relate to other users, it talks about the torrent trackers.

In this case, the tracker is operated by Eagle Dynamics, as mentioned above by c0ff.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

That single link automatically picks the best server for you.

Ok it's perfect for my future download...

Saruman,

About the peer to peer of Blizzard I can say that my home the download of the upgrade of WOW is very slow but it's the only solution...

But with the downloader of Blizzard for my WOW I boost my bit rate all the time of the download and after I reset the settings of the downloader and when I play with WOW all the members of my family can download the new upgrade of WOW...

In fact this topic is very interesting, thanks guys for your feedbacks...

Bye, Skull

Thanks c0ff and EtherealN I was thinking in terms of traditional BitTorrent. Knowing that ED is managing the torrents gives me some confidence.

From Wikipedia (not always true but generally reliable):

BitTorrent and malware

Several studies on BitTorrent have indicated that a large portion of files available for download via BitTorrent contain malware. In particular, one small sample[100] indicated that 18% of all executable programs available for download contained malware. Another study[101] claims that as much as 14.5% of BitTorrent downloads contain zero-day malware, and that BitTorrent was used as the distribution mechanism for 47% of all zero-day malware they have found.

Only get your torrent from ED and you should be ok. :thumbup:

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates

at the risk of sounding ridiculous....how does one work the torrent? the link didnt take me anywhere. i use vuze normally.

Bittorrent has an official website where you can download the Client Software.

bittorrent.com

I would NOT use another website or port of the BT client if you are new to BT network or file sharing in general.

ALWAYS, scan what you downloaded with a virus scanner before you do anything else with it.

Any apologize afterwards from regardless who it is won't fix your infected system if you are careless with downloads, regardless where they come from, known or unknown websites.

Bit

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

oh yeah...and yes...you should know how to open Ports on your Router to your PC running BT.

You can enable uPNP in your Router to have this done automatically upon request without the need of you doing anything, but I don't recommend uPNP at all. If you opt for it, disable it afterwards for security reasons.

Bit

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Thanks c0ff and EtherealN I was thinking in terms of traditional BitTorrent. Knowing that ED is managing the torrents gives me some confidence.

From Wikipedia (not always true but generally reliable):

BitTorrent and malware

Several studies on BitTorrent have indicated that a large portion of files available for download via BitTorrent contain malware. In particular, one small sample[100] indicated that 18% of all executable programs available for download contained malware. Another study[101] claims that as much as 14.5% of BitTorrent downloads contain zero-day malware, and that BitTorrent was used as the distribution mechanism for 47% of all zero-day malware they have found.

Only get your torrent from ED and you should be ok. :thumbup:

That is some extremely misleading data. One might as well say "18% of all executable programs on the internet contain malware" and use it as justification for never downloading anything.

The torrent protocol is 100% secure: the only person who can tamper with the contents of a torrent download is the person publishing the tracker info (the file that tells your torrent client what to download and who has it). Other clients cannot inject a virus into the data, because all they are providing is a few kilobytes to megabytes of data, pulled at random from their copy of the files being shared.

The thing you have to worry about is not getting a virus from torrents downloads, but choosing to download a torrent that was maliciously posted in the first place. Hint: you get these torrents from the same places that try to sell you a bigger penis and video-chat with "local girls".

anyway, the point is: downloading a torrent is exactly as safe as downloading any other file from a specific website. Downloading files from Eagle Dynamics is safe, because they're not in the business of distributing malware. Downloading files from your favourite "free" adult entertainment site.... that's where you get the lemons.