Graphic card woes

Hello all,decided to jump a card and install an MSI GTX760,running a 600watt psu and a 27" monitor via a hdmi cable. First problem was the size of the card - ended up moving HD`s about.Then connected the two power plugs for the card (one 6 pin and the other 8 pin) hdmi cable next then a boot up.Windows 7 starts and installs a new driver - nvidia 3000 graphic card ! Now unable to access the Nvidia GForce set up and for some reason no internet.Some how my on board Realtek lan controller had disappeared (using a cable straight to the router) -error 651 - no connection from machine to router.

Put the old card back in connected the hdmi cable and graphics back to normal,should I connect first time with a DVI connection then select hdmi with the new card ? I didn`t think it would make a difference.

Now back online via a ASUS usb dongle.

Why would the lan controller disappear ?

Not sure on this one. Especially if you didn't touch any other settings the onboard LAN should be just fine.

Does your motherboard have onboard video that you can try it without any video cards installed?

Did you check the device manager and look for hidden devices to see if the LAN controller is there but hidden?

Did you try repairing the lan controller (in software, not the hardware) or is it not there at all?

My system boots fine straight to HDMI using an nvidia card. If I have my vga monitor connected it boots to that first, then when windows loads it switches back...

Were you sure to disconnect the power completely from the machine before pulling cards?

Just a few thoughts, will check in regularly on this.

Thanks for the quick reply,in Device Manager there is no Realtek lan any where but there is a Tap-Windows adapter V9 there. Looking at a diagram of the board (GA-Z68P-DS3 ) the Realtek RTL8111E chip is just in front of the card slot so I wonder if I accidently touched the chip with the base of the graphics card.

Paul

HDMI uses a Ethernet (like Network) connection to transfer high resolutions. The Nvidia 3000 is a CAD optimized GPU definitely not a 760! Try downloading the correct Nvidia drivers for the 760 from Nvidia homepage, if you are lucky it is simply the HDMI Ethernet interface blocking something. If the current Nvidia 3000 drivers appear under programs, deinstall them before!

If this doesn't help, try to reinstall the realtek drivers for your board...

Where did the Nvidia 3000 driver come from?

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Sorry guys,I got it wrong,it is not an Nvidai 3000 card,it is the onboard Intel Hd Graphics 3000 and when I checked the bios the pcie slot was the first graphics choice and the Intel 3000 was the second.

It looks like a duff 760,will speak to suppliers today.

Thanks guys.

Paul

Have a look into the BIOS first. There should be a setting for VGA preference, where you can switch between PCIe first, onboard first and onboard off. Or there is a setting near that to deactivate onboard. Even with the onboard Intel GPU active you can install the Nvidia drivers and should recognize the 760...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Meybe try installing intel inf and the newest drivers for the new gfx card. Might have been old drivers from old card not working properly.

Did you plug the screen into the new card when booting it or have it pluugged into the Intel motherboard gfx?

Disable the HD3000 altogether,

nVidia Drivers use Optimus Technology to switch between Intel HD and nVidia Discrete Graphics.

if you're Video is coming from the HDMI Port on your nVidia GFX Card it's not a DOA Card.

Check Device Manager, Install the Latest nVidia Drivers.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Hiya Skate,when I disable the Intel HD graphics in the BIOS I get a black screen and nothing else.My monitor says "No Output" when I switch it off and back on then nothing.With the HD graphics still switched off ,I replace my Nvidia 650 and straight to desk top.The drivers I use are the latest 337.88 which are for both cards.

When the PC boots with the Intel Graphics there is no other Display Adapter apart from the Intel Graphics in Device Manager even though the 760 is fitted,both power pins (6 and 8 pins) connected and the card fans spin.

Paul

Are you hooking HDMI to the GFX Card or the Mainboard Output?

Try a Different PCI Slot,

Outside of Asking for more specs, that's all I can convey.

Specific mainboards have PCI-Slot Priority hardcoded.

ie If you populate slot x, onboard device X will be disabled,

Then there's the PCIe Slots that are disabled unless running a Haswell CPU, etc etc.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs