"... as fragged". As ... what!?

Flagrum

I often hear the brevity code "as fragged", meaning "exactly as stated in the briefing".

As non native speaker of english, I wonder where that term comes from. I found it nowhere in any dictionary or similar sources. I came across that word only during my *cough* Counter Strike times (and other FPS :o). There "fragged" just means a "kill" - like fragged as in "fragmented" (by a grenade or similar).

But that does not quite fit the use of "as fragged" in military aviation, right? :o)

It comes from the Air Tasking Order Fragment which details that squadrons missions for the day. The Frag is their little piece of the overall ATO.

As fragged is just a shorthand version of we are proceeding as per tasking with no deviations or amendments.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

It comes from the Air Tasking Order Fragment which details that squadrons missions for the day. The Frag is their little piece of the overall ATO.

As fragged is just a shorthand version of we are proceeding as per tasking with no deviations or amendments.

Now it makes even sense for me, thanks! :thumbup:

(although I already knew it better - it is disturbing to have that mental picture of fragmentation grenades in your head if you hear someone talking about tasks and orders ... ;o)

The whole ATO is a truly massive thing, imagine the desert storm ATO for example, and remember that the overall ATO isn't just for one day but a living thing that has every target you want to hit (that you know about) and every other job that needs to be done. As well as other thing like assigned radio frequencies, data link addresses, TACAN channels, weapon loads, IFF stuff etc.

Each Sqn only needs to know their part in it.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL