Wingmen Slammers Slam me

Magician

Twice in a row, playing the "Clean Sweep" mission. On the first encounter, everything goes well, and I issue the "Cover Me" command after the merge to get help if needed.... and it was the first time, as I was dangerously ahead in a rolling scissors.

The second encounter, one or two of my wing men decide to fire a BVR slammer shot along with mine. They start the loft, then dive at me and kill me right out of the blue.

Seems to me this is a bug, and a major PITA way to end the mission.

At first I thought maybe the R-27 logic was changed not to give a launch warning until it went active, as I got hit a couple seconds after getting a launch warning, both times, but no, that was just a coincidence. As the attached ACMI files show.

This didn't happen before I started using the "Cover me" command, is there a way to cancel that command without an RTB command?

Tacview.zip

So, it sounds like, without looking at the tacview, your wingman's missiles are trying to track a merged target. The target gives your wingman and his missile's radars the slip, and when it goes pitbull it sees you.

"Cover me" instructs your team to attack the nearest unit to you. If so, that's a pretty close shot for the mto take if it's in the merge. Also, you can simply tell your team to rejoin/formation. You could even tell them to fly the waypoints.

Owned: Ryzen 3900x, MSI AMD 470x mobo, 32gb 3200MHz ram, Gtx 1660 Ti, 970 Evo Plus 500GB, MsFFB2, TIR5, TMWH+18c Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Buttkicker/SSA, WinWing F-18C . Next is VR for simpit

Art Of The Kill:

So, it sounds like, without looking at the tacview, your wingman's missiles are trying to track a merged target. The target gives your wingman and his missile's radars the slip, and when it goes pitbull it sees you.

"Cover me" instructs your team to attack the nearest unit to you. If so, that's a pretty close shot for the mto take if it's in the merge. Also, you can simply tell your team to rejoin/formation. You could even tell them to fly the waypoints.

Only if you consider 12 Miles vs 1 to 2 miles "merged". Like I said the slammers start their loft, they shouldn't even try to track something that much closer than what they were targeted to hit.

I'll try the rejoin after each encounter next time.... if I even bother with the cover me command, but it did come in handy that first time when I was in a bit of danger of coming out ahead in the scissors.

Edited by Magician

tell your wingman to turn on the radar first. if you don't they maddog 120's.

Yes, that's it.

No radar => no target designation and the missile will acquire on its own, usually the nearest target. Missiles do not have IFF...

tell your wingman to turn on the radar first. if you don't they maddog 120's.

well that would explain it, thanks!

I was curious whether Tacview would show the lock or not for the AI planes. Because I did notice it did not show one, even when selected as the primary plane. Of course it didn't show it for the Migs either, and I was definitely getting the warning tone that they did.

Edited by Magician

Are you sure you didnt get the tone from the slammer's seeker locking on to you?

Nope (I'm not sure), in fact that's definitely the case the second time as I look at the tacview, I started evading before the Mig launched. I just figured it was the Mig because I was already getting the lock tone and flash from him.

Edited by Magician

Nope (I'm not sure), in fact that's definitely the case the second time as I look at the tacview, I started evading before the Mig launched. I just figured it was the Mig because I was already getting the lock tone and flash from him.

Oh you were talking about the lock tone, no, that was from the mig. It was the launch warning that came from the 120.

ah... you brought back some ugly memories!!!

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Works a lot better with the wingmen's radars on!

Unfortunately,, both the track and the acmi file show a different result for the last couple encounters than what happened while I flew it. I shot down the last of the bogeys with one short burst of guns and landed with 12/12 enemies downed. The track and the acmi show me getting shot down by that last bogey. Weird. They also show me chasing and shooting at thin air a couple times before they show me getting shot... I didn't do that. I've seen the same thing in some IL-2 tracks as well though, I hate that. Especially when I get a score with one short burst like that.

Edited by Magician

Ooops, I forgot that replays get recorded to acmi, I was watching the acmi of the replay, not the original mission (and I had paused the replay so that's got a lot to do with why it got borked). The acmi prior to that one was as I recalled. Just too bad I missed the Su 27's taking off behind us until after my #4 traded kill shots with one of them. I was out of missiles so I had to dance a bit with the other one before getting that lucky gun burst.

2 and 3 ran out of gas and ejected a bit earlier since they ditched their tanks on the first encounter, gotta figure out the f key steps to do a targeted RTB command when they call bingo.