How to spot targets for your wingment to engage?

jetstorm96

You look out of the windows.

;o)

Well, jokes aside, that is probably all one can say about it. Your wingman, as he is AI controlled, just uses his "optical sensor" (eyes) to find targets. So, if you can see the targets, he can see them most likely, too (perhaps even better than you!). Then just tell him what you want him to attack via the radio menu.

The AI takes several factors into account when it comes to spotting things - like day/night time, distance ofc, etc.

I tried it now myself. I think, I now understand what you are struggling with ...

F1 Attack my target ... seems not to work / is broken. My pilot does not send the order, my wingman does not confirm it.

F2 Attack my enemy ... Wingman confirms, but does nothing. I am not exactly sure what "my enemy" represents. Probably the unit shooting at me? We were not under fire, so probably that was the cause for my wingman to procrastinate ...

Fx Attack Ground Targets ... works. That was what I had in mind when I wrote the earlier posting.

Edited by Flagrum

Imho "F1 Attack my target" is not valid for machines without any optical or other device for target designation.

...but I can be wrong :smilewink:

Probably - I suspect the same. How the hell shall your wingman know what you are looking at!? :o)

But in this case, that radio option should be disabled at least.

Or just shouting "Kill 'em all!" (F5) hehe

I ordered my windman to "Attack ground targets". At first, I was impressed: first truck bursts into flames after 2 rockets from 1.5 km. He realigns for a second run. Same story: from over 1 km with a single trigger squeeze he takes out the second truck with 2 rockets and even shoots at the 3rd truck - but misses. Then the third run-in: 1.3 km ... he misses barely. 1 km - again missed. 800 meters ... he misses ... 500 meters - nothing. But he continues, ignoring the fact that he just ran out of rockets. I imagine him pressing hectic the trigger again and again, lol.... when he overflew the target, he finally gave up. For the last run-in: he switched to mini-guns and killed the truck as if he would do that every day ... :o)

I would love to see something like this implemented in the AI for visual targeting.

If you command "Attack My Target" the AI will look for and attack targets near the Mean Point of Impact of your last weapons run (or at WP smoke if you fire it).

If you command "Cover Me" the AI will either suppress known air defenses along your current flight path, or will follow tracers firing at you back to the source and put suppressing fire there.

• 1 month later...

This is a late reply but you guys... Thanks so much this was the answer I was looking for. Yes attack ground targets or defenses is all I can use. It is a shame you cannot spot a truck and tell your Huey flight to attack that specific target