Beginners Guide: Dual monitors + Helios + Loz profile

Hi all, Beginners Guide attached which goes through all the steps required for setting up DCS-A10C in a dual-monitor configuration (one being a touchscreen) + Helios + Cap Loz profile. Only targets the A10C Warthog, but the steps may be similar for other modules. I've tested the procedure on two set-ups (one being side-by-side layout rather than top-bottom) and I think it is sound, but I'll still add the disclaimer that you follow the steps at your own risk! Back up all necessary files, etc.

If any steps are clearly wrong, please let me know asap and I'll edit.

--DerekM

2MonitorSetup+Helios+Loz.pdf

• Like 1

My beginner guides: [1] Export.lua [2] Dual-monitor+Helios+Cap Loz

very nice work Derek! wish I would've had this guide a little bit ago. thank you for your contribution! :thumbup:

• Like 1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

• 3 weeks later...

Touch screen problem

Hello. Thank you for this guide. I have everything working except the touch screen. I can see the panels and all the gauges and they update with the sim. I can mouse click the knobs and switches but the touchscreen input does not work. I know that the touch screen itself works and it worked with DCS A-10C before I changed to a dual monitor setup. I noticed that Helios requires that I set the touch screen monitor to be the secondary monitor. When I was investigating this problem I read online that setting the touch screen to not be the primary monitor could cause this problem. My touch screen is a Dell S2240T. Did I choose a problem monitor? I noticed that I could not perform some setup procedures for pen and touch. I am using windows 8.1. Is there anything I should check? Thanks in advance

@john - have you calibrated it?

in Windows?

I had a problem with touches not registering on the touchscreen - resolved with calibration

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have not noticed any issues with buttons or switches no working yet since I set the monitor correctly. I am trying to get face no ir working now. I will keep your suggestion in mind if I notice that problem later on. Thankyou

Thanks for the feedback guys. I had a small bit more information to add to the PDF, but I'm sidetracked on work and other projects so I haven't been back to DCS in a few weeks, and not looking like getting back to it any time soon either. :(

Ok I got the A10 working but now how do I get the KA50 to work along side the A10?

Hi nescafe37 - The method I used to set up the A10C was originally used to set up A10C and KA50 to work together. I just stripped out the KA50 material. If you check back in the PeterP post that I reference in my doc, you might get the information you need. But I have no experience with KA50 so I can't really help you beyond pointing you to the link, sorry.

Edit to add: If you look at page 42 in my document, you will see that when you extract the PeterP file contents there is an option called 'Ka-50 and A10C installed'. So I think that is what you are looking for. I'm sure there is more information in the readme.txt.

- DerekM

Edited by DerekM

Yes I hadn't properly set up the 2nd monitor as the touch screen monitor. Everything seems to be working now. Thank you very much.

Hi John3544 - I'm glad you got this sorted, but for anyone else who has similar trouble, I should say that I haven't really explained that step properly in the document. So at the very start of setting up the touch screen (page 27), you need to ensure that the Dell S2240T is selected as the touch screen, and you may also need to select the 'Calibrate' option if you haven't done that in Windows yet. Unfortunately I can't remember the exact steps now, but this is purely a Windows thing and is nothing to do with DCS/Helios. Anyway, hopefully it won't catch anyone else out.

- DerekM

• 2 months later...
Hi John3544 - I'm glad you got this sorted, but for anyone else who has similar trouble, I should say that I haven't really explained that step properly in the document. So at the very start of setting up the touch screen (page 27), you need to ensure that the Dell S2240T is selected as the touch screen, and you may also need to select the 'Calibrate' option if you haven't done that in Windows yet. Unfortunately I can't remember the exact steps now, but this is purely a Windows thing and is nothing to do with DCS/Helios. Anyway, hopefully it won't catch anyone else out.

I had a lot of trouble when I installed my touchscreen, with Windows 8.1 insisting that my non-touchscreen was the touchscreen and any presses on it activating on the non-touchscreen.

I tried all the settings/calibration, etc in Windows but eventually I fixed it by swapping the cables over, so now I have the touchscreen/secondary on Displayport and the non-touchscreen/primary on DVI. Maybe there was another way to fix it but I couldn't find it, so maybe this will help someone else who runs into the same problem.

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

• 1 month later...

Hi Derek;

I am a moderately experienced Helios user and have gone through several upgrade/fix cycles with DCS World-A10C and Helios. After a year off, I tried to upgrade DCS World again and fix my Helios installation.

Test run produced working Helios (buttons work) with working MFCD's, but no other viewports. I hit the top right corner of Loz's Helios profile to hide the gauges and reveal whether the viewports were misplaced. They are not there at all.

So, I downloaded your excellent guide. I went through it step by step and used PeterP's init.lua viewport files and monitor config.lua after revising the coordinates for my setup and giving it a new name. I changed DCS World options to that monitor setup. Test run produced working Helios, but no MFCD's and no other viewports!

Here is an interesting diagnostic. I know that the names for gauges in the monitor configuration.lua file must match the line in the viewport init.lua files exactly. As a test, I changed the MFCD name in PeterP's sample monitor config file to the name in my old monitor config file, and tested again. This made the MFCD's work. But the names for the rest of the viewports match the monitor config file exactly and still do not work.

My latest attempt was to uninstall and reinstall everything and try again. No joy. Same result

Any suggestions????

Windows 7 64bit, DCS 1.2.10, Helios 1.319, Cap Loz 2.1

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Thank you so much Derek :thumbup:

i owe you a beer :D

Everything works perfect

For the tripple screen user (with nvidia surround) + 1 x Touchscreen:

To improve the performance I changed (in windows) my T-Screen formation to Side by Side (1. Nividia Surrond - 2. Touchsreen)

In DCS I changed the resolution from 5760x2160 to 7680x1080

Check Fullscreen

and I got 5 - 8 fps more

Windows 10 | i7-8700K@5GHz | 2080 Ti | Intel Z370 Chipset | 32GB RAM@1866 MHz | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB| Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS w. FSSB R3 Mod | Saitek Switch Panel + Radio Panel + Multi Panel + FIP + Flightpanels Software | MFG_Crosswind | TrackIR5 | TM Cougar MFD Pack | Obutto R3volution | 1 x LG38 | GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT

• 2 months later...

Helo guys... im a total newbie in dual monitors in dcs... i have a 24 main screen with full HD resolution and an 17 touchscreen with 1280x 1024. I did everithing like sayed in that pdf in first post (except the resolution witch is mine) but i find out a problem. All my displays are a bit mooved away (in helios the black&white panels witch indicates the displays are mooved a bit away) and i cant figure out how can i fix them. Can anybody help me with it...

• 2 months later...

Yes

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Helo guys... im a total newbie in dual monitors in dcs... i have a 24 main screen with full HD resolution and an 17 touchscreen with 1280x 1024.

I did everithing like sayed in that pdf in first post (except the resolution witch is mine) but i find out a problem.

All my displays are a bit moved away (in helios the black&white panels witch indicates the displays are mooved a bit away) and i cant figure out how can i fix them. Can anybody help me with it...

Check in windows monitor configuration, that monitors are set correctly:

• For your config, side by side would be more efficient
  • Make sure both monitors are butted up against each other properly, with the top edge of both monitors in line with each other
  • Calculate complete screen resolution:
  • Width = 1920 + 1280 = 3200
  • Height = 1080
  • Aspect = 3200 / 1080 = 2.96

Setup DCS screen configuration for:

• Resolution = 3200 x 1080
  • Aspect = 2.96
  • Install a Camera export configuration (my attached ones are JGME compatible), or which ever one you use to specify viewports for export.
  • Untick Fullscreen

Setup Helios Profile:

• Load the required Helios Profile
  • Reset the monitor configuration and check it is how you want it
  • Re-Save Helios Profile

Setup Export.lua file:

• Copy Capt_zeens combined export.lua file that supports exporting most aircraft to you DCS users save directory.

I have just finished getting helios working with 2 x (1920x1080 HD) monitors set as a Top and Bottom configuration giving a set resolution in DCSW of 1920x2160, also did a side to Side configuration with a resolution of 3840x1080.

The attached configs will work with all known aircraft supported by helios, ie A-10c, Ka-50, P-51d, Su-25T, Huey, F-15c, so long as you use capt zeens newest export.lua file from his website.

You will have to modify the x and y coordinates for your second screen due to diffent resolution than mine, so that the MFCD's,etc start in the correct location, you may also have to adjust each width and height of each.

LEFT_MFCD =

{

x = 60;

y = 1200;

width = 445;

height = 445;

}

Hope this of some help.

Regards, Ian.

DCSW - Helios - A-10c + Ka-50 + Su-25T + FC3 Patch v1.2.16.zip

Capt zeen export.lua.zip

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.