Best helicopter?

You should choose the KA-50.

Its Fast Powerfull agile and a Pleasure to fly.

Also you should begin with the KA-50,

If you learn to fly the A-10C first (or any other fixedwing) you will get very hard times to learn how to Handle a Helicopter, its far more easy reversed.

-Helicopters are by far more hard to fly than fixedwings especially as beginner.

-People which say its OK to fly a Helicopter with a twiststick as rudder

are just right in parts, cause they did never fly it with pedals.

In KA-50 this people end up most like a flying weapons Platform as feed for Wire guided missiles and other stuff while in Autohover and looking into the IT-23 Monitor.

"Blyat Naaaaa" - Izlom

Ok, this is pure aerobatics and the 105 is the upgraded engine one, I guess?

...but impressing nonetheless! :D

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Hey, I'm going to buy a bunch of games soon and one or two DCS modules.

I’ve decided on the Warthog because I’ve tried it and it’s quite nice… and quite cheap!

Second to break the monotony of only flying on aircraft I’m going to buy a helicopter.

Unfortunately (?) DCS offer three different helicopters and I can’t tell which suits me the best.

There’s the aggressive Black Shark, classic Huey and Magnificent Eight. How do they compare?

All three are great. Quality wise, this is DCS level stuff. The difference obviously lies in their purposes and style. Looking for a pure helo experience, with the noise, the shakes and the bumpy rides? Go for the Huey. Looking for a smooth war machine that you can use in MP combat? Shark. Also, the SP has more content. I would go for the Mi8 only if you can afford the three modules. It's a personnal opinion here, but it does not stand out much.

Keep in mind that if you are already learning the A10C, you'll have you hands full, and the KA may not be the best choice for chilling out of your daily hardcore lessons. It is not as difficult as the A10, but it's still the second most complex DCS module.

The Black Shark seems to have come out first (digitally) and seems to be more of an agile attack helicopter due to it being single-seat and all. Does it being the first in the DCS series mean anything bad though
The Shark has been updated with BS2, which was released after the A10C module. So no, nothing bad at all.

The Huey seems more old-school which I would suppose means its less complex however it can also hold a whole bunch of guys which should make it more complex. Where does it end, cumbersome and difficult or fun and versatile?
Fun, completely. But you'll find it hard to use it in MP.

Is the Huey or Magnificent Eight worth the extra cost?
Here it is, simple as can be: everything in DCS is worth the extra cost, as long as you can afford it. If you cannot, buy the one you want, you won't go wrong anyway. ED and their partners are not joking around with quality.

Do any of the other DCS modules have interactive cockpits? I believe the Mustang does but I’ve heard there’s a World War module of some sort coming up and will wait until that is out to buy any WWII aircraft.

Also is there any other flight simulator with more detail than DCS?

-Appart from the mustang(s), none.

-Xplane may be a match in termes of complexity, but focused on civil traffic. Also, I don't think it features the level of flight models that DCS provides.

Edit: DCS A-10C Warthog is also available marginally cheaper physically than digitally in Sweden... does the physical edition contain anything of value? The flight manual? Or only the disc and basic installation guide?
If your box is delivered by truck and two people are required to carry the package to your living room, then yes, the physical flight manual is in there :D

I don't think the box contains the physical flight manual. At least it didn't in Germany.

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Haven't tried the Huey, but I have the Mi-8 and Ka-50. While the Mi-8 is fun to pass some time with, the Ka-50 really feels like the helicopter of helicopters.

It's very versatile and extremely fun to fly once you get the hang of it. The campaign that comes with it is very well made and provides a broad range of mission types and gradually raises the bar in difficulty and complexity.

And if you feel like taking it even further, there's a 20-mission campaign called Vergeevs Group that really puts your flying skills to the test. It costs a few bucks though and it's made for the original BS, but worked fine for me in BS2. I have yet to see a campaign as well made and thought out as that one, in any flight sim.

My DCS stream

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Past broadcasts, Highlights

Currently too much to do... But watch and (maybe) learn something :)

Whatever you choose, you should stick with that one for some time if you want to master it.

I've bought all modules, and now I'm rambling between them, I didn't master anything. Although I'm not so bad with A-10C :smilewink:

[B]*NOB* Lucky[/B] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Tko vrijedi leti, tko leti vrijedi, tko ne leti ne vrijedi

The Ka-50 is a fantastic module. I strongly recommend it. It is fast and agile, yet controllable. It has amazingly advanced weapons and countermeasures systems, and an autopilot so competent that a single pilot can operate the whole heap all at once.

All of its systems and electronics are modeled in intricate detail, and it really is a joy to just fly around and play with the ABRIS Nav system. You can have a great time in that helicopter without firing a shot... so just imagine how much fun it is in combat.

It's also a capable CAS platform in multiplayer missions. I really can't recommend the Shark enough.

If you do buy the Ka-50, be sure to pick BigFootMSR's interactive tutorials. They replace the old, crappy video tutorials with fully interactive DCS quality tutorials that cover just about every important aspect of flying the Ka-50.

Grab them here: http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/173790/

Hey, I'm going to buy a bunch of games soon and one or two DCS modules.

I’ve decided on the Warthog because I’ve tried it and it’s quite nice… and quite cheap!

Second to break the monotony of only flying on aircraft I’m going to buy a helicopter.

Unfortunately (?) DCS offer three different helicopters and I can’t tell which suits me the best.

There’s the aggressive Black Shark, classic Huey and Magnificent Eight. How do they compare?

The Black Shark seems to have come out first (digitally) and seems to be more of an agile attack helicopter due to it being single-seat and all. Does it being the first in the DCS series mean anything bad though?

The Huey seems more old-school which I would suppose means its less complex however it can also hold a whole bunch of guys which should make it more complex. Where does it end, cumbersome and difficult or fun and versatile?

The Magnificent Eight seems even more complex capable of holding an entire crowd and with a whole myriad of switches. It is still in open-beta however and the website says not all switches are interactive though doesn’t specify which are.

There’s also the cost. The Warthog costs $40 with an $8 bonus and the Huey/Magnificent Eight cost $50 each with a $10 bonus each. The Black Shark 2 is available in Sweden for $22.

I’m assuming these bonuses are money that you get back as a store credit and can use for buying more games from the DCS store?

If so the Warthog + BS2 would cost me $62 (with an $8 bonus available for the future) and the Warthog + Huey or Warthog + Magnificent Eight would cost me $80. All would cost $142 total.

Is the Huey or Magnificent Eight worth the extra cost?

Do any of the other DCS modules have interactive cockpits? I believe the Mustang does but I’ve heard there’s a World War module of some sort coming up and will wait until that is out to buy any WWII aircraft.

Also is there any other flight simulator with more detail than DCS?

Edit: DCS A-10C Warthog is also available marginally cheaper physically than digitally in Sweden... does the physical edition contain anything of value? The flight manual? Or only the disc and basic installation guide?

Get the Huey first, brother. It will make you a better rotary wing pilot. It's a great heli trainer. I started into helis with KA50 and then went into the Huey, and on to the Mi-8. I highly recommend the Huey first. It will make you better at flying the other helis when you get them later, because you will learn more of the heli basics in it compared to any other heli module...

Just my 2 cents...:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

KA 50

Why bother with the other two pieces of junk.

They are only cannon fodder for you in a Ka50.

Intel i5 7600K @ 4.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4 @ 3200MHz | MSI RTX 4060 Gaming X 8G | WD Black NVMe 2TB | Sound Blaster Audigy RX | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | Corsair H80i v2 | Corsair RM750x | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Flight Pack | TrackIR 5 | Windows 10 Home 64-bit |

Sig1.png

Shooting down hueys in a KA 50 has never happened for you so I can understand why you cannnot find it fun.

Intel i5 7600K @ 4.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4 @ 3200MHz | MSI RTX 4060 Gaming X 8G | WD Black NVMe 2TB | Sound Blaster Audigy RX | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | Corsair H80i v2 | Corsair RM750x | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Flight Pack | TrackIR 5 | Windows 10 Home 64-bit |

Sig1.png

Shooting down hueys in a KA 50 has never happened for you so I can understand why you cannnot find it fun.

Is it as funny as using CA and a Reaper Drone to blast KA-50s? Well they can't even see the drone, let alone defend against it! :D

Shagrat

I've started with the KA-50 and when BST has published the Huey and Mi-8 I'm falling love of these two modules.

So for me I can say that the Huey and Mi-8 are the best helicopters for simulator PC.

A great great work and realism for me...

Bye, Skull.

If it's me, i'd definitely go get the KA-50, for it's powerful attact ability. However, if you are only interesting in flying an helicopter instead of using it to fight, i'd redommend the UH-1H. MI-8 is some how interesting. It's neither work well in attack nor fly. However, if you would like to get some practice in your flying ability, I think the heavy and dumb helicopter will help you to improve that.

Is it as funny as using CA and a Reaper Drone to blast KA-50s? Well they can't even see the drone, let alone defend against it! :D

I'd love a DCS: MQ-9 :P A dude on another forum suggested rather than "DCS: MQ-9 Reaper" it be titled "DCS: Ender's Game" instead though :lol: