I'm a little slow - dedicated server?

ARM505

Hi all,

I must apologise for being slow here, because I know this has been asked and quite possibly answered - but despite making some serious use of the search function, I cannot get definitive answers for the following questions w.r.t. dedicated server software:

1) Yes or No, is dedicated server software for Lock On planned for release by ED?

2) If so, what would be the approximate time frame for release? Is it a high or low priority, once BS has been released?

I ask because playing online in South Africa on international servers is a bit of a laugh, what with the stratospheric pings. Our local telecomms company provides servers for use, but only for dedicated server software! (The admins do not normally have physical access to the servers, only one guy gets to install the software) The local LO community is growing, but to gain any real momentum we would love to have our own dedicated server, similar to what we have for the local IL2 community. Hosting a server as a private individual is frighteningly expensive due to the nature and costs of our broadband market, and the dominant position of our single telecomms operator (who, to their credit, do at least provide servers as mentioned above.)

I hope I have done a good job of explaining why I am asking this old question again, and apologies if the information was readily available.

This is something that has been requested since the release of Lock-on and the devs have never given a straight answer for. Last I heard they were planning on doing it for Black Shark, but this late in the game it looks like this has once again slipped by. I guess the problem is that it is not something they can really charge for so the development time for it would not be justified. I agree though, a DC for this sim would be a huge bonus--there is just not enough going on in single player for most people (canned missions blah blah blah).

Thanks for the reply. The thing is, it would be great to have even just basic server software with rotating canned missions - no need for a whole dynamic campaign (which would be the ultimate, I agree!) We manage to do okay with scripted dogfight missions in IL2, it would be great to have the same sort of thing - just a basic remote access server, with rotating missions, maybe some sort of feature which allowed limited planes/weapons.....we can but hope. Thanks!