Landing procedure for F-15 AFM

taps

Advise what am I doing wrong.

I just started out really playing the game so I thought rather than complex stuff like combat, i was trying out landing first...

I am still very bad at landing, so was hoping I can get some critics on where I am doing wrong and stuff.

Hope you guys can help me out...

Landed but Jerky.trk

Landed but Went Out.trk

Edited by yxpoh

I just started out really playing the game so I thought rather than complex stuff like combat, i was trying out landing first...

I am still very bad at landing, so was hoping I can get some critics on where I am doing wrong and stuff.

[ATTACH]138541[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]138542[/ATTACH]

first thing I want to point out in your tracks, while assuming you are practising the landing and nothing else....you take it too seriously, getting permisions and all that...just start that bitch up and take off on the taxiway you rolled over while turning (thanks for the laugh)

keep your speed at 200, descend from 2500 ft while keeping your velocity vector on the runway threshold and you are good.....practise practise practise, also there is a ton of videos on youtube if you still need help

first thing I want to point out in your tracks, while assuming you are practising the landing and nothing else....you take it too seriously, getting permisions and all that...just start that bitch up and take off on the taxiway you rolled over while turning (thanks for the laugh)

keep your speed at 200, descend from 2500 ft while keeping your velocity vector on the runway threshold and you are good.....practise practise practise, also there is a ton of videos on youtube if you still need help

Haha lol.. yeah, I am having problems getting my throttle to respond properly at times, so the speed end up getting too much at times, or I just suck at delicate controls.

I don't even know how I got the first one right actually, I just kept on trying. Still couldn't get the feel of it yet, and I found myself always dropping way too early before the runway all the time, and also bouncing on the runway...

But thanks for taking your time to look at the tracks. :)

Best advise for landing. Land with no gear cause you know... Repairs are free and you will stop every time with no breaks needed.

Well, I did that once because I forgot to deploy the wheels and it work rather well in slowing down, but if my purpose is to learn how to control the plane normally, i dun think that will work out.

I haven't looked at your tracks (can't right now) but the basic idea for landing the eagle ...

Assumptions:

1) You have good visibility of the runway

2) You're not doing a super-heavy-weight landing

3) You're doing a straight-in landing

Set yourself up to begin with at say, 5nm before the runway with 1500' agl (you need 300'/nm to be on the glideslope). Do this with 250kts speed. Setting up this altitude and distance correctly from the very start will help you make a less stressful landing. If you are not on correct glideslope, always attempt to intercept it from below.

Maintain a glideslope of ~3 degrees (2.5-3. Try not to deviate)

TO do this, place your FPM on the runway threshold, and keep the FPM right between the horizon and -5 deg lines on the HUD's pitch ladder (though you should be able to do this without a HUD :) )

Reduce throttle so that your AoA indicates 21 units, and then maintain the glide down to the runway with 21uAoA.

Once the runway fills your HuD (the corners of the runway completely fill your hud frame) OR you feel like you are experiencing ground-rush, flare the aircraft. No more than 15 deg or you will tail-strike.

After you land, maintain 13deg pitch (23uAoA) or a little more for effective aerobraking.

[ATTACH]138541[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]138542[/ATTACH]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I'm still learning also, but one thing I've found is that you have more room for run out than you think. I quit trying to touch down right after the threshold and aimed more for about a 3rd of the way down the runway. Doing this pretty much eliminated those crashes before the runway.

Alienware Area 51, Windows 10, I7-5820k, 6 cores 15mb Cache Overclocked to 3.8GGZ, 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2133mhz, Dual Nvidia Titan X 12MB. 2TB 7200rpm sata 6gb/s,

I'd say first 1500' of runway ... don't float like a duck, land like a pro - ie. learn to aim ;)

I'm still learning also, but one thing I've found is that you have more room for run out than you think. I quit trying to touch down right after the threshold and aimed more for about a 3rd of the way down the runway. Doing this pretty much eliminated those crashes before the runway.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Any idea what are some of the reasons one would always fall short the runway, and have to re-establish the throttle to reach the runway?

It feels like I dropped the throttle too soon, but my speed is way too fast, to not drop though, unless that means that I am supposed to take my distance to slow myself down?

@GGTharos, actually, yeah, I am quite sure my load is quite heavy, I was just using a certain mission to train the landing as it allows free-flight (enemies are damn far away.) but i left the armament as it is..

Very heavy aircraft requires slightly different landing technique. You can use the airbrake to slow down, just don't start with too much speed to begin with. Like I said, 250. Pull the throttle after you flare in a heavy aircraft. Enter the 5nm line-up with 250KIAS, then reduce throttle to slow down, drop gear, flaps, maintain glideslope and use throttle to maintain 21uAoA. 21uAoA in combination with the correct glideslope will put you on speed for your approach.

If the distance is too short, start from further away :)

Edited by GGTharos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Very heavy aircraft requires slightly different landing technique. You can use the airbrake to slow down, just don't start with too much speed to begin with. Like I said, 250. Pull the throttle after you flare in a heavy aircraft. Enter the 5nm line-up with 250KIAS, then reduce throttle to slow down, drop gear, flaps, maintain glideslope and use throttle to maintain 21uAoA. 21uAoA in combination with the correct glideslope will put you on speed for your approach.

If the distance is too short, start from further away :)

Maybe I might need to re-read the manual again, but how do you gauge the distance to the runway?

Is there a number some where on the instrument or is it just using the map?

Edited by yxpoh

You use your navigation equipment ... but in case you're not set up with the correct waypoints, you can always judge by glideslope ...

3 deg glideslope is 300'/nm. So if you're on glideslope and you're 1000' AGL, you're about 3nm from that runway.

Everything depends on flying your approach well and hitting all those parameters.

In case you want to fly away from the airfield, you can always time it: at 300kts you fly 5nm/minute.

I guess I'm just saying if you want to do all this stuff well, start working on this pilot math :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks. my problem seems to be the 5nm and also not using the ILS(lol).

I have been trying to land around half that distance. after using the map to mark an imaginary starting point, I manage to get myself a more stable speed and land, though my throttle just went haywire at the last minute that prevents me from stopping in time.

As I am always landing on another runway, I need to find the waypoint to that runway to allow the ILS to run though

Don't use the ILS.

As I am always landing on another runway, I need to find the waypoint to that runway to allow the ILS to run though

There is absolutely no need for ILS in a visual landing. ILS itself is just supposed to guide you until visual as well.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have been trying to land around half that distance. after using the map to mark an imaginary starting point, I manage to get myself a more stable speed and land, though my throttle just went haywire at the last minute that prevents me from stopping in time.

If you want to learn to land an airplane, do a few touch and gos as in the real life, flying traffic patterns. Forget about the ILS and stay within 2 NM of the runway (or less), and fly the patterns at 1500 ft AGL and 200 KIAS. You don't need to go 5 NM out to practice landings or go any faster. ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes, you do need to do all that when you're operating a heavy aircraft.

This is someone learning, not someone who knows how to adjust landing patterns on the fly.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Here's a not flawless example of landing without ACS (Advanced Cockpit System), so no hud. Landing is on the 104th Multiplayer server, so landing is intentionally on the left side of the runway. I definitely could have had a smoother landing, but since my ACS doesn't get shot out every day this will have to do as an example of landing without the HUD.

Aircraft was light so approach was easy, but thought I'd share.

[ame]

[/ame]

Millenix | 68th Virtual Fighter Squadron

AV8B | AJS-37 | F-5E | Mig-21bis | P-51D | Spitfire Mk IX | Bf-109 | M-2000C | A-10C | U1-H1 | Ka-50 | FC3

Don't use the ILS.

There is absolutely no need for ILS in a visual landing. ILS itself is just supposed to guide you until visual as well.

This seems to be a major issues. People need to realize that the real life versions of the aircraft in this sim and modeled in the sim are NOT rated for anything other then CAT I landings. I.e. 200ft ceiling minimum ~1800+ft vis.

When Ever I fly IMC in real life My minimums are +100 over the approach minimum listing. For me it's not worth the risk if I'm still in the soup 300ft off the ground. I'm not going to try the extra 100ft hoping It's clear. Plus it give a buffer for me also if I happen to set something up wrong. I might consider going to listed minimums if what I fly had a radar altimeter but well it doesn't so I'm not messing with it. Not that I fly in hard imc often anyways might be once a year. I try and avoid IMC all together.

For the WIN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If your desired effect on the target is making the pilot defecate his pants laughing then you can definitely achieve it with a launch like that.