FAQ for F-15 AFM Development

cofcorpse

Just to expand on that for the physics geeks ;) , the majority of the torque created between the gear and the thrust or momentum is still going to be nose down, with only a small component of the torque turning the plane horizontally.

Edited by Magician

F15C in latest version flys like crap!! Why?

I havent flown the F15 much but did try to get into it a year or so ago and wafun for awhile and then I got too busy and had to stop flying.

Im back and got evering setup on a new OS load and the F15 flys like crap. Soon i am spinning out and crashing! Its way too sensitive to fly around and yes i am in Realistic mode. When I fly in the SU27 which I am more familier with and fly most often, I am not having this problem!!!!!

I am using a G940 and dont think its the stick. Black Shark 2 is fine on it and the 27 is fine.

How should I go about setting things to default for the F15C??? with minimal work or damage to other installs.

To be honest I haven't noticed that much of a diffrence in handling the PFM F-15C..Not in terms of it affecting the way I fly. Of course, taxiing and landing feels a lot different now (in a better way) but other then that..it seems your controller setup might be the culprit?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commanding Officer of:

2nd Company 1st financial guard battalion "Mrcine"

See our squads here and our

Croatian radio chat for DCS World

The only difference for me is pulling high Gs is a lot more fun :)

If you find this to be a massive change, just wait until the Su-27 AFM is released!

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5

The F-15's flight model is pretty good except for high AoA when there is a weight imbalance between left and right. When you pull hard under those circumstances the vertical stabs seem to do very little. It might be because the PFM is in beta. If so it might be fixed in a future patch. You'll just have to watch your AoA in the meantime. Other than that I don't think there is a problem.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

I'll dig into this a bit more when I get time, but I do know that the 15 FM needs a rudder limiter as it stands right now. Not sure if this has been brough up yet or not. Way too much rudder authority at higher mach numbers.

Also will research, but the rudder authority in general seems too high as it is right now with CAS off. IIRC, Rudder travel is limited to 15* with CAS off, 30* with CAS on.

I havent flown the F15 much but did try to get into it a year or so ago and wafun for awhile and then I got too busy and had to stop flying.

Im back and got evering setup on a new OS load and the F15 flys like crap. Soon i am spinning out and crashing! Its way too sensitive to fly around and yes i am in Realistic mode. When I fly in the SU27 which I am more familier with and fly most often, I am not having this problem!!!!!

I am using a G940 and dont think its the stick. Black Shark 2 is fine on it and the 27 is fine.

How should I go about setting things to default for the F15C??? with minimal work or damage to other installs.

The F15 recieved a new flight physics model, therefor behaves more like a real plane than flying on rails like with the old FC model. If you have too sensitive controls, try adding a curvature. I prefer getting used to it though, so I still have a linear response on my controls.

The F-15's flight model is pretty good except for high AoA when there is a weight imbalance between left and right. When you pull hard under those circumstances the vertical stabs seem to do very little. It might be because the PFM is in beta. If so it might be fixed in a future patch. You'll just have to watch your AoA in the meantime. Other than that I don't think there is a problem.

I hope they do fix this soon.

Getting a little tired of being simply unable to fly just because i launched a missile

Also, 40k is not "extreme" altitude. If you'd say 80k i'd say sure.

But not at a measly 40 k. Do you honestly think this is realistic ?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Maybe you should ask and wait for someone competent to respond before breaking down in rage?

Btw don't expect it to be anything like it was pre PFM. There are problems but even if they get fixed eventually it might still be a lot harder to fly the plane than you'd think. I'm not a pilot either but 'ermagerd this can't be realistic' is not an argument.

You believe in this [redacted] that a plane should fly like this or that. You don't even know what's a problem and what's not.

Take this analogy - when the PFM was out in beta everyone reported that the RPM is bugged and is stuck at 96 regardless of afterburner. Then they were told this is how it works in real life. We're in the exact same boat, again.

Edited by sobek

Are you backtracking ? Do i need to quote your own post ?

You're a weird one that's for sure rofl

Here you go

PFM is W.I.P.

I know atleast 2 different problems that could cause the issue, and one of those is most likely the main one. When will they get fixed? No idea.

Pretty contradictory to your last couple of posts, what are you afraid of :D

Barrel rols @ 40.000 feet , pulling 7 G's, solid as a ROCK :

wDcvnXxD7XA

Looks pretty solid to me, nothing like the hysterical spinning of our F15 's

Edited by Maximus_Lazarus

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The weight imbalance is real. Further, it is not simply weight, but flow dynamics and drag. There's this installation of hardware you may have heard of, called the M61A1. The aircraft exhibits much of this same tendency in real life, based on both the weight, and the interference of airflow from the barrel outlet and vent design.

Oh look, I've seen videos on youtube about an aircraft flying. Unfortunately that doesn't make you a subject matter expert.

I know the problems I know because I talked to people who have actual knowledge in this area, not because I believe in a bunch random stuff that are based on YT videos and another set of misbeliefs.

You do understand that you are comparing two entirely different airframes, both with differing control systems (full FBW vs. a limited compensation system), drag and turn performance, and overall stability, correct?

On top of that, that video provides nothing useful. Literally no information given. No stick input is recorded, no speed data is given, just to mention a few things.

I hope they do fix this soon.

Getting a little tired of being simply unable to fly just because i launched a missile

Also, 40k is not "extreme" altitude. If you'd say 80k i'd say sure.

But not at a measly 40 k. Do you honestly think this is realistic ?

It certainly not desirable behavior, but I don't think it makes the plane unflyable. In reality, you should be watching your AoA, because if you exceed max AoA, there's a chance of going into a spin. The issue for me isn't that the F-15 spirals out of control so much as much as when it decides to do so.

40,000 feet is fairly high, but the F-15 is supposed to be a high flyer so I'd think it would feel comfortable up to about there. I'd really like ED to weight in on this, but I don't think they've said anything on it yet.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

The plane seems to go into an aileron spin even with very light stick movement. This happens mostly at high altitude, but can also be observed at lower altitudes in some situations. From what I've heard from people that know this better than me, rudder authority is not strong enough and this could be one of the key things behind this behaviour. I'm not sure how it should work but I imagine if the rudder had as strong as an effect as it should the ARI would be more effective counteracting this, however I have no idea what the result should be.

From my personal experience these spins happen mostly when you use pitch and roll at the same time. ie. you just banked the plane and you start pulling before the bank stabilized.