Does DCSW support the PhysX of nVIADIA or the Mantle of AMD?

wiseking

It's not a matter of fairness but more so developmental curves, additionally I don't think that PhysX is actually supported in DCS at this point in time. There are things with more relevant focuses, such as EDGE. PhysX and Mantle don't actually make as large of a difference as you might think.

Only if it supports PhysX, that can explain why N card performs much more better than A card. Will DCS latter add Mantle in? Otherwise, it'd be seriously unfair to AMD users!:mad:

Unfair to AMD? Good sir, you should educate yourself about AMDs unwillingness to work on their DX9 driver performance before you pass blame around, because the explanation you offer is neither the only possible explanation nor is it the correct one.

Good news is, EDGE uses DX11.

Edited by sobek

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

And PhysX would have rather limited use in DCS as well. It is made to calculate dynamic particle effects, smoke, etc, not to calculate flight dynamics of aircraft. A game which shows what PhysX can do is Assassin's Creed.

It seems to be a general missconception that the graphics card is some magical thing that can do everything from rendering images (which it is made for, duh) to calculate PhysX and whatnot. Which it is aperently not, because else a PC would not have CPU but more graphics cards instead.

• Like 1

Check out my YouTube: xxJohnxx

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled

Before I purchased my card, I looked at both manufacturers and spoke to people who only buy NVIDIA or AMD.

Physx was designed by NVIDIA for NVIDIA cards. It is a way to market their cards to the broader community. Are NVIDIA cards better than AMD? It is up to the persons personal preference in this regard.

If I was to compare what I have now and when EDGE comes out, whether my card supports Physx or not, I am doubtful I will need to upgrade to a card that supports Physx just because it has a Physx logo when game is loading.

• Like 1

And PhysX would have rather limited use in DCS as well. It is made to calculate dynamic particle effects, smoke, etc, not to calculate flight dynamics of aircraft.

On the other hand, such effects (smoke, explosions; i.e. cluster bombs) is what eats up the performance in DCS.

Before I purchased my card, I looked at both manufacturers and spoke to people who only buy NVIDIA or AMD.

Physx was designed by NVIDIA for NVIDIA cards. It is a way to market their cards to the broader community. Are NVIDIA cards better than AMD? It is up to the persons personal preference in this regard.

If I was to compare what I have now and when EDGE comes out, whether my card supports Physx or not, I am doubtful I will need to upgrade to a card that supports Physx just because it has a Physx logo when game is loading.

I tried both AMD and Nvidia.

The AMD cards are not as expensive as an equal Nvidia card and have a little bit more potential...at least on paper and that's the big problem of AMD cards. The AMD drivers are the weak spot and the cards often can't use their full potential IMHO.

On the other hand, such effects (smoke, explosions; i.e. cluster bombs) is what eats up the performance in DCS.

Yes, but PhysX won't help with that.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Unfair to AMD? Good sir, you should educate yourself about AMDs unwillingness to work on their DX9 driver performance before you pass blame around, because the explanation you offer is neither the only possible explanation nor is it the correct one.

Good news is, EDGE uses DX11.

Can we then expect roughly equivalent performance from equivalent cards with EDGE Caucuses/NTTR/Corsica etc?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

Can we then expect roughly equivalent performance from equivalent cards with EDGE Caucuses/NTTR/Corsica etc?

I can't answer that for various reasons.

Edit: And because it's being used so endemically lately:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasus

Edited by sobek

Come let's eat grandpa!

Well, i can think of no reason for a hardware maker to make great optimize for an old driver. The game developers, however, who have always been making and selling new versions has to and it's easier for them to optimize the game for new drivers.

Well, i can think of no reason for a hardware maker to make great optimize for an old driver.

Strange how nVidia can, though (and before you reach for the fanboi hammer, AMD user here).

Besides that, you can't optimize your game beyond what the driver offers you unless you program a driver yourself. The ball is definately in AMDs court, and as long as people don't start calling them on it, there is indeed no reason for them to do so. Drives users to buy new cards as a nice side product.

Edited by sobek

Come let's eat grandpa!

Strange how nVidia can, though (and before you reach for the fanboi hammer, AMD user here).

Besides that, you can't optimize your game beyond what the driver offers you unless you program a driver yourself. The ball is definately in AMDs court, and as long as people don't start calling them on it, there is indeed no reason for them to do so. Drives users to buy new cards as a nice side product.

If so, ED should at least make an recommendation. Otherwise, some AMD fans will be disappoint when they find its low FPS at the card cost most of their budget

If all of the AMD users would complain on the AMD forums instead of here, something actually might be accomplished (not likely but your chances are still better).

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

If all of the AMD users would complain on the AMD forums instead of here, something actually might be accomplished (not likely but your chances are still better).

This bother's you how? There are many other threads on these forums to make posts that do not reflect the OP let alone the sub forum.

I feel we are well within our rights to express our views and ask questions whether DCS World supports 1 card manufacturer over another, especially if some of us spend more time playing DCS than any other sim\game

PhysX was bought by NVidia... it was developed by Aegia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhysX

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"