The Ultimate DCS World JSGME Guide - If you use mods, you need this. - Page 13 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-27-2013, 11:37 AM   #121
JayPee

Cookies for the guide! I already knew JSGME but this is a nice tutorial to save endless topics of why mods don't apply, which is usually due to messed up file paths.

Anyway, assume the following, you attempt to edit your graphics.lua so you make a snapshot of the file as per 1.2.5 vanilla and you start messing in your own modded copy for which you use JSGME to apply. However, when an update changes the layout/structure of the graphics.lua file, yours -based on an older version- is rendered obsolete. What can be done about this using JGSME? Does it offer a find&replace text strings feature to not overwrite entire files but only certain lines within a single file?
Old 08-27-2013, 02:44 PM   #122
Milli

Read the graphis readme text file located here: DCS World\Config\graphics_readme.txt

You make changes to a file called autoexec.cfg which is placed here: C:\Users\<YOUR-LOGIN>\Saved Games\DCS\Config\autoexec.cfg

Any lines you add to this file override the settings that are in the graphics.lua
There is no need to alter the graphics.lua file anymore. This way, when an update is applied to dcs world, your autoexec.cfg file is not altered in any way and your tweaks are kept intact.

Hope this helps?

Regards,
Milli
Milli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #123
cichlidfan
Veteran

...and no, JSGME cannot do file edits.
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
cichlidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:52 PM   #124
JayPee

Milli, I know that an autoexec.cfg does that but I was hoping JSGME could do that for me. For the autoexec.cfg you need to know the exact spelling of a command and its table to generate the proper syntax.

Fictional example: from what I've read, for something like BUILDING_DISTANCE in graphics.lua it is possible to be called HOUSES.RANGE when you enter it in the autoexec.cfg. On top of that, you need to know the Lua table name in which the commands are located because you have to add them as a prefix.

Long story short: I have yet to find a way to translate lines from the .lua files to the proper syntax required in the autoexec.cfg.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:14 PM   #125
Milli

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPee View Post
Milli, I know that an autoexec.cfg does that but I was hoping JSGME could do that for me. For the autoexec.cfg you need to know the exact spelling of a command and its table to generate the proper syntax.

Fictional example: from what I've read, for something like BUILDING_DISTANCE in graphics.lua it is possible to be called HOUSES.RANGE when you enter it in the autoexec.cfg. On top of that, you need to know the Lua table name in which the commands are located because you have to add them as a prefix.

Long story short: I have yet to find a way to translate lines from the .lua files to the proper syntax required in the autoexec.cfg.
I see what you mean now. I don't think JSGME would be able to change lines in a file. Hope someone can help you.

Regards,
Milli
Milli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:26 PM   #126
fangav

Time for a Bump
Old 12-24-2013, 09:43 AM   #127
JayPee

JSGME should offer the ability to place your mod folder outside your DCS root folder. E.g. at C:/downloads/DCS mods/. Saves you the trouble of constantly keeping a local mod respository and a seperate mod folder inside the root as well. If you change or update mods you just update the repository. Also nice when reinstalling DCS after a DCS root folder wipe.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:02 PM   #128
Home Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPee View Post
JSGME should offer the ability to place your mod folder outside your DCS root folder. E.g. at C:/downloads/DCS mods/. Saves you the trouble of constantly keeping a local mod respository and a seperate mod folder inside the root as well. If you change or update mods you just update the repository. Also nice when reinstalling DCS after a DCS root folder wipe.
You can do this using symbolic links in Vista and later. I keep DCS on a SDD for speed, but keep my mods on a conventional HDD and use symbolic links to put them in my GME Mods folder on the SDD. I recommend not using hard links or junctions, though; unlike symbolic links, deleting junctions or hard links will also remove the original data as well.

The average naval aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

My DCS Files and Skins
My DCS TARGET Profile for Cougar or Warthog and MFDs
Home Fries is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:03 PM   #129
JayPee

Are you talking about shortcuts?
Old 12-25-2013, 04:22 PM   #130
Sabre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Fries View Post
You can do this using symbolic links in Vista and later. I keep DCS on a SDD for speed, but keep my mods on a conventional HDD and use symbolic links to put them in my GME Mods folder on the SDD. I recommend not using hard links or junctions, though; unlike symbolic links, deleting junctions or hard links will also remove the original data as well.
Thanks, it looks very useful.

Sabre.
Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jsgme, mods