Cougar MFD with Lilliput UM-80 8" USB Monitors - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-25-2012, 04:34 PM   #1
KLUTCH

Default Cougar MFD with Lilliput UM-80 8" USB Monitors

I've seen a few youtube clips on using these two as a nice little setup and so I ordered a some and I have to say I'm not disappointed

I'll go through my process and give you some tips and the problems I had and how to fix them.
(here is the full album)

Lilliput UM-80/C/T - 8"
I got mine of amazon I think, they were around £80 each and came to £200 with tax/p&p.
No CD was inside and I use Win7 x64, turn on windows update and it will download the drivers and install something called 'DisplayLink manager', windows should automatically detect them and you can move them around with the 'Screen Resolution' desktop right click.
When setting them up do not check 'Optimize for Video' as this will give you low res mfds

Note: These require 2 USB slots EACH. so buy yourself a cheep USB hub (I got a 7 port hub of ebay for £4)

Thrustmaster Cougar MFD Pack
I waited 3 weeks for an amazon seller to ship these, and I gave up as they said they still hadn't sent them, I then ordered them from the actual thrustmaster amazon and they arrived the next day!

The CD didn't work so you should download the drivers/software from the link below.
http://ts.thrustmaster.com/eng/index...&pid=298&cid=1

Unscrew the bracket with a philips screwdriver and remove the thumbscrew. I then used sellotape to make double sided tape and went around the edges, for a nice finish use a stanley knife and tidy the tape so it doesn't overflow (I made that mistake at first).

Attaching them like so... they are very sturdy!

USB HUB
4 Monitors (2 each)
2 MFDs
1 TrackIR

At this point is a good time to measure your screens and edit your monitor config.
In my case I edited from here:
Code:
H:\DCS World\Config\MonitorSetup
And here is my .lua
Spoiler:
_ = function(p) return p; end;
name = _('MFD SETUP');
Description = 'USB MON'
Viewports =
{
Center =
{
x = 0;
y = 0;
width = 1920;
height = 1080;
viewDx = 0;
viewDy = 0;
aspect = 1.7;
}
}

GUI=
{
x = 0;
y = 0;
width = 1920;
height = 1080;
}

LEFT_MFCD =
{
x = 242;
y = 1112;
width = 560;
height = 560;
}

RIGHT_MFCD =
{
x = 805;
y = 1117;
width = 560;
height = 560;
}

UIMainView = GUI

In doing so the MFD dimentions is 560px this fills up the entire mfd, I might size this down by 5/10px.
To measure where you want the mfds to go I used PixelWindowApp
Download Here

Then when everything was setup I took a screencap with PrtScn and pasted into Photoshop.

Turn rulers on and drag out to edges then zoom in on the top corners and read the pixel count on the rulers (right click on the rulers and change units to pixels)

That should give you everything you need for your .lua.
Once I tested it out in the game you might need to move it around a bit but that is pretty standard up/down stuff. Finally I just cut out some black card and covered the rest of the screen to tidy it up.

Result

Final tip: Uncheck disable aero and use an aero theme in windows.

Also if anyone wants the wallpaper I got it from the US Army flickr I think (tried looking can not find it anymore)
http://i.imgur.com/46imx.jpg
KLUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:45 PM   #2
cichlidfan
Veteran

Why did you use the touchscreen version if you have the Cougar MFDs? The touchscreen part is probably the only reason for that second usb connection so you likely only need two usb ports (the display does not care if the touchscreen is not hooked up). The difference in price here (Amazon US) is enough to pay for the MFDs.

Nicely done though!
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1

Last edited by cichlidfan; 08-25-2012 at 04:47 PM.
cichlidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:58 PM   #3
RoaringBones

can these be used for any plane? or just A-10 only?
RoaringBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
cichlidfan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaringBones View Post
They can be used to display anything that is exported as a viewport.

Currently the A-10 is the only flyable plane with displays to export. What plane were you thinking about?
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
Old 08-25-2012, 05:19 PM   #5
KLUTCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by cichlidfan View Post
Why did you use the touchscreen version if you have the Cougar MFDs? The touchscreen part is probably the only reason for that second usb connection so you likely only need two usb ports (the display does not care if the touchscreen is not hooked up). The difference in price here (Amazon US) is enough to pay for the MFDs.

Nicely done though!
I thought all the 8" are touchscreen, I know the 7" isn't and I want to fill the whole space.
It needs the second to power the screen, one is for the graphics and the other is just power, I'm sure the non touch versions still need two plugs
KLUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:24 PM   #6
cichlidfan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLUTCH View Post
I thought all the 8" are touchscreen, I know the 7" isn't and I want to fill the whole space.
It needs the second to power the screen, one is for the graphics and the other is just power, I'm sure the non touch versions still need two plugs
You might be right about the power, the description on Amazon does not specify. This is the non touch model.

http://www.amazon.com/Lilliput-Monit...lilliput+um-80
Old 08-25-2012, 05:36 PM   #7
MTFDarkEagle
Veteran

Quote:
Currently the A-10 is the only flyable plane with displays to export. What plane were you thinking about?
Ka-50 has got exportable displays
Old 08-25-2012, 05:37 PM   #8
cichlidfan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTFDarkEagle View Post
Ka-50 has got exportable displays
It is not an airplane.

Quote:
Old 08-25-2012, 05:42 PM   #9
MTFDarkEagle
Veteran

Quote:
It is not an airplane.
Pffffffffffffff......... Wiseguy
Old 08-26-2012, 06:23 PM   #10
PlainSight

Does your computer boot normally even with USB hub plugged in?

Tags
cougar mfd, dcs a10c, lilliput