GAI OPTION BACK

Pougatchev

GAI OPTION BACK  

34 members have voted

1. 1. GAI OPTION BACK

• Yes (if yes explain why)
    • No (if no explain why)

PS: Title of the poll must be GAI and not GCI.

Hi all!

Ahhhh memories, sweet memories...

GAI option (A flanker 2 option... Something like a DCS brother sim no? same theater, and some part of flanker are sleeping in DCS... Mig-29K is an example...) for a plane is to make this plane in stand-by on a base, when Awacs detect a contact, this plane automatically take-off to intercept it...

So, someone told me that I have just to make a trigger :music_whistling:

During fews second I think "hell yes why not, nice idea" but...

A circle trigger Can't simulate correctly a base or awacs radar...

Why?

Because trigger don't care about mountain, stealth or ECM etc etc

So what can I do?

Please ED make this option back!

Ground-controlled interception (GCI) can be nice too...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground-controlled_interception

Just imagine what some great mission we can make with that, base protection can be a really great point for the Mig-21 and maybe for your Hangar 18 "US fixed wing aircraft"...

Is everything really subject to change??? :D

That can be nice to discuss about that...

Here is the exact description from flanker 2 manual:

Ground Alert Intercept

In many circumstances GAI usually proves to be preferable and more flexible for the organization

of air defense than CAP. When taking part in a GAI mission, the aircraft is on alert duty on the runway

with warmed-up engines. On receiving AWACS targeting data the aircraft takes off and

effects an assisted intercept. Since high top speed and climb rate are extremely important for GAI,

the most optimal aircraft for this task are the Su-27, MiG-29 and MiG-31. Note, however, that in

our program the GAI task can be allocated only to automatic aircraft. We wouldn’t want you to

stay Earth bound sitting on hot alert in the cockpit for long stretches of time waiting for intercept

data. This can prove to be very boring and frustrating. If the enemy attacks with several aircraft,

the aircraft on GAI duty will take-off one after another intercepting one enemy aircraft each.

(Provided that you have allocated the GAI task to a sufficient number of aircraft.)

When planning this type of mission you don’t need to design waypoints and action points. All you

have to do is just set the takeoff point, declare it as a GAI station, and let the EWR and AWACS

systems vector the aircraft accordingly. Note that intercept aircraft rarely have a complete weapons

suite in order to offer maximum rate of climb and manoeuvreability. Note that when planning GAI

the aircraft on hot alert don’t appear on the runway until the target data becomes available.

The GAI concept is not without drawbacks. First of all, the EWR systems must detect enemy aircraft

in good time; otherwise the aircraft on GAI duty on the airfield may become sitting ducks .

Furthermore, to repulse attacks from any direction, the airfield with the aircraft on GAI duty must

be sufficiently close to the installations being defended.

Edited by Pougatchev

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Make the reporting system great again!

I 200% agree with you !

GAI was a very useful function, fast and easy to use. I have been very angry when ED removed it (like many other function in fact...:music_whistling:).

I could talk hours about mission editor evolution (more bad than good) from lockon to DCS but i will stop here...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel I7 8700K / RTX 3080 / 32Go DDR4 PC21300 G.Skill Ripjaws V / MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold - 1000W / Noctua NH-D14 / Acer XB270HUDbmiprz 27" G-synch 144Hz / SSD Samsung 860EVO 250Go + 1To / Cooler Master HAF X / Warthog+VPC WarBRD / Thrustmaster TPR / Track-IR v5 + Track Clip Pro / Windows 11 64bits.

Ground-controlled interception (GCI) can be nice too...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground-controlled_interception

Just imagine what some great mission we can make with that, base protection can be a really great point for the Mig-21 and maybe for your Hangar 18 "US fixed wing aircraft"...

With CA now in World, GCI would be nice as that is the mode of operation of a lot of older aircraft.

Would love to scramble a EE Lightning to intercept a Bear over the North sea :D

During the cold war Lightnings were held on Quick reaction alert and could be launched in a matter of minutes. Even the Vulcan could be up and running before the pilot got strapped onto his seat!

Edited by Alicatt

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

A lot of nice scenarios can be great with this option.

I have conceived a mission named border guardian but at this time pretty impossible to make because terrain masking is unusable with triggers :(

Imagine a second a multiplayer mission, you are on the runaway waiting, and your base or the AWACS called you "blablabla unknow plane approaching at 154 for 40nm 20000 feet blablabla", that can be amazing as hell with some base defense mission in multiplayer especially with the upcoming Mig-21...

Even with the A-10C or the 25t, approching base detection area or AWACS detection can be a great challenge to make missions more realistic.

Or in the future in FC3 with my two favorite beast F-15C and Su-27.

Seriously I don't wanna dream about that, I just wan't that to be real :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Make the reporting system great again!

• 2 months later...

IIRC the GAI was bugged in BlackShark1 (or FC2 dont remember). The planes always took of right after the mission started and if nothing was detected they just landed again and shut down. Very cool feature though.

I discovered this thread while searching for GCI. I really hope ED could implement this with planes like MiG-21 coming up. You could just make one of the EWR/Command-units act like the regular AWACS.

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

I would love to have the GAI back too. The triggers aren't the same because of the aforementioned limits. Also GAI was just easy to use for setting up scrambles.

[sigpic][/sigpic]

US Air Force Retired, 1C371

No rank or title will ever be as important as the unit patch you wear.