Abrams Main gun calibration, mission and info - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-15-2012, 11:38 PM   #1
Pikey
Veteran

Default Abrams Main gun calibration, mission and info

Because I personally didn't understand it, I looked into the the gun sight and the accuracy. Here are some things I found out along with a mission and hint at a small modification.

The sight visible from the gun when you play the US MBT is called the Gunner Auxilliary Sight or GAS. It's meant as a backup because the real process is from another station with simpler reticules, the process being, put the target under the boresight, fire the laser for range, computer adjusts and locks on, fire weapon.

As far as I can tell we have simple uncalibrated versions which appear at least confusing to me. What i did is setup a mission with 6 Opfor tanks at 800m and at 400m increments until 2.8km as per the markings on the current view.

I located the TGA for the HUD markings and drew calibration lines at intervals for each tank and range. Firstly I used the automatic aiming setting to draw the target symbol for the locked target and recorded that it both was accurate (it was) and the elevation. The system I used was to use the top of the tanks turret, obviously then it's only calibrated for T-80's but at 3km a tank is 5-7 pixels or so high, so in practice it's not as drastic an issue. It reminded me somewhat of Silent Hunter and stadimeters, its always prone to error.

The results were satisfactory enough for me to get a one shot kill at nearly 3km with target and firer stationary, without targeting assistance.

Anyway if you are looking for a solution (worst pun evar) to customising sights, then here's the detail.

1. Backup your existing HUD in C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\tech\CombinedArms\Cockpit\blueHUD.tga by renaming it something similar
2. Get GIMP (free paint program)
3. Open file and edit. Check the help manuals if you want help, not me.
4. Export to TGA of the same name
5. Check out your cool skills in game and the wonders of opacity

You might also want to edit the auto targeting bracket that computes your solution in the same way. It's called arcade.tga in the same folder. For example i put a red dot in the centre which simplifies aiming immensely and its accurate. The image is recognisable on the second row at the far left when you open the file.

Image and mission attached. Hope it helps someone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen_120715_230503.jpg
Views:	1317
Size:	382.6 KB
ID:	68224  
Attached Files
File Type: miz Range.miz (10.5 KB, 264 views)
Pikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:57 PM   #2
HiJack
Veteran

Can't someone with MOD skills fix this as a downloadable?

Spoiler:

ASUS Z97-PRO, Socket-1150
Intel® Core i7-4770K Processor overclocked to @ 4.20 GHz
32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 2133MHz CL9 4x8GB
Sapphire Radeon TRI-X R9 390X 8GB "OC"
Samsung SSD 850PRO 1TB SSD
WD 2TB Black 3,5", SATA64MB Cache, Dual Processor, 7200RPM
Windows 7 64-bit
Philips 40" 4K LED BDM4065UC, ASUS 27” and Dell 24” screens
HiJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:23 AM   #3
SmokeyTheLung

Great stuff Pikey, I'm going to have to try my hand at cooler looking primary sight for the M1
SmokeyTheLung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:08 AM   #4
SmokeyTheLung

Dude you're a genius! I'm definitely going to have fun with this
An attempt at a Bradley reticle

Last edited by SmokeyTheLung; 07-16-2012 at 04:09 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:17 AM   #5
3instein

I tried the exact same thing last night by D/L gimp and gave it a try but the gimp interface just confused me and couldn't get anywhere so uninstalled it,not my forte I'm afraid,
So if some good chap could take the pain out of this it would be much appreciated,
Cheers.

AMD PHENOM II X 4 955be @3.2 GHZ | ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO mb | Corsair XMS3-8GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory | Nvidea GTX 580 GDDR5 GPU | CNPS9900 NT cooler | Corsair HX850W psu | Seagate Barracuda 500GB HD 300 MBps - 7200 rpm | WIN 7 64bit | 32" HD LCD TV | 5.1 surround sound | wireless keyboard and mouse | Saitek x45 hotas.
3instein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:22 AM   #6
Invader ZIM

That's brilliant!! And they look great too!

Have to agree I'd like a downloadable version of these sights, especially the M1 and the lead computing dot for the AAA systems.
Invader ZIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:36 AM   #7
jazjar

Excellent. Is it possible to put a Fire control system in along with that primary sight, or is it too tough for a mod?
Old 07-16-2012, 03:39 AM   #8
Invader ZIM

Now that would be awsome!! If they could make it so if you hit the L key for instance to lase what's in the center of the reticle, and the turret would adjust itself automatically to hit that spot. Almost like the real deal. Just need dual axis stabilization and a very high magnification thermal sight lol.
Invader ZIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:49 AM   #9
SmokeyTheLung

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3instein View Post
So if some good chap could take the pain out of this it would be much appreciated,
Cheers.
I used photoshop for this. Basically you need an alpha channel mask that is the shape of your reticle. I should say that I'm really not good with photoshop, I followed some tutorials on youtube and was pretty surprised when it worked
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazjar View Post
Excellent. Is it possible to put a Fire control system in along with that primary sight, or is it too tough for a mod?
Too tough for me I'm afraid.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:47 AM   #10
Apocalypse31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyTheLung View Post
Dude you're a genius! I'm definitely going to have fun with this
An attempt at a Bradley reticle
Can you post these as downloads, please. They look great.