America's Armor Sim News

DetroitDieseL

I am releasing the AARM Build 0.0.3 -

The muzzle flash is working with some post effects along with it- There is collision between the projectile that it shoots with the "OPFOR" if there was-

The collision between the tank and the terrian is still alittle choppy, its on the list. I am working on a light effect that goes with the muzzle flash and a heat shimmer from it and possibly the exhaust.

In line to being worked on is the roadwheel rotation in conjunction with the movement of the tank, also the tracks.

The muzzle flash SFX is operating although it may need a bit of work- turn your speakers down...... :D

I am also working on engine noise as well as turret noise. Possibly reloading noise- as of now there is no reload wait so blast away-

AARM's News

Jay

Edited by DetroitDieseL

If you want peace, prepare for war....

America's Armor

Dev Notes

AARM on Facebook

Help Fund AARM

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Development of the Abrams tank is going very well.

I have the roadwheel and track deformation working when the tank goes over terrian and objects.

The speed and braking is working with enertia and when the tank fires there is force added to move the tank a bit in the opposite direction of the guntube orientation.

I am almost finished programming all the things for the tank, then will be able to apply them to all the other tanks......

The firing system has been re-worked a bit and is working perfectly. I am using raycasting for the projectile as well as a mesh projectile for the tracer. If you miss your attended target the projectile will splash against the terrian for a visual.

I have stopped releasing webplayers now as there are security issues, so the builds are now only released to approved beta testers.

If anyone has any questions, you can come here:

http://www.americasarmor.com/Forum/index.php

To view the progress on the development you can go here:

http://www.americasarmor.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=91

For videos released of the development you can go here:

http://www.americasarmor.com/OpOrd.html

America's Armor

Dev Notes

AARM on Facebook

Help Fund AARM

Here are a few images of the Abrams in a defensive battle position. The terrain is only for testing purposes so far.

Just testing targeting and line of sight stuff with this BP.

The texture map for the Abrams is almost finished, then I will be working on the T-90, then support vehicles, HEMMITT and M-88, both for each counterpart.

Abrams_Dev.png

Abrams_Dev2.png

America's Armor

Dev Notes

AARM on Facebook

Help Fund AARM

Good luck with your project DetroitDiesel.

Depending on whether you have much of a development budget or not you can get a lot of models at reasonable prices from Turbosquid

eg: http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/223875

The terms from Turbosquid (my interpretation of them, please double-check yourself) are basically you can re-distribute models royalty free provided you put the models in a proprietary format (similar to what ED have done with their assets).

If you have the cash you can either buy models so your sim has a lot more variety, or buy models you were going to make yourself but now don't have to (saves a huge amount of time).

I'm doing this (buying models) this for a jet combat flight sim I'm working on, eg: http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-navy-fa18f-fighter-black-aces/220146

I'd actually rather like to make the models myself so I could distribute them in an open format but I don't have the time (and fortunately have the money, through blood, sweat and electrons). Personally, it seems ridiculous everyone re-inventing the same models over and over rather than having an open source approach. But if you personally don't intend placing your models in an open-source format (I will with some of the things I'll have to make) then buying models under those terms is not too bad.

Please keep us posted with your progress.

Edited by Moa

Make it on Android phones and pads and make it multiplayer friendly or with leaderboards, this is where your market is :) There is no true tank sim on this platform and hardware is capable. You may also include lower poly models and no-one will complain. They are cheaper too.

Edited by Shaman

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

Thanks Moa,

Yeah I am modeling everything. I don't have a budget, so I can't just buy everything. I have a thing about not using other peoples work......I know that may sound crazy as there is a million of everything out there. I just want this to be done by scratch, sept the engine. It won't be open source to modding either, but I would consider selling assets at a low rate. Not ungodly prices like alot of the models are on TS.

I will be doing a flight sim also in the future...I already have a bunch of aircraft.

I am not creating the engine, like cam....I don't understand ststements 213, just because I am not creating the engine, which is a feat in itself, doesn't mean I should just mod some other game. I am creating the entire game, the gameplay, the programming, and it will be mine, and I can sell it.

I will be making aan android version shamandgg, but the file can only be 50mb so it would have to be very lower detail. I may release a demo for the android thou.

America's Armor

Dev Notes

AARM on Facebook

Help Fund AARM

As an avid tanksim fan, I look at this with interest. I know it's early in the development, but could you post some more details about goals? What level of simulation are you aiming for? How will you differentiate this from, say, Steel Beasts?

Yes, we are very early in development. It would be a good time for people interested to get involved with the development team to help shape the gameplay overall. It always help to have people giving feedback and giving their opinions about things.

My goal is to have a realistic tank simulation, as I was a tanker in the U.S. Army. It will start out as a third person, but as development continues, the turret will be fleshed out, as well as being crew-able. In the future I would like to implement support vehicles...fuel, ammo, airstrikes, artillery, mechanics.

We are going over how the teams will be set up, and how it will all come together still.

I actually am only familiar with SB name, I have seen a couple YT videos, but haven't taken a good look at it.

I'm happy your interested thou.

http://www.americasarmor.com/Forum/index.php

America's Armor

Dev Notes

AARM on Facebook

Help Fund AARM

Wow, I mean wow, that city you have is amazing, it's better than Arma2's Chernogorsk, it reminds me of the New York City skyline.

That will be the next level. That is only the rough model of the city with temp textures. Your imagination can just go wild thinking of what the scenerio will be thou eh?

I have added a dev video to the content page here- Dev Video 3 http://www.americasarmor.com/OpOrd.html

It is a teaser to the up coming video release.

Edited by DetroitDieseL

America's Armor

Dev Notes

AARM on Facebook

Help Fund AARM

if your starting from scratch, be sure to know your market well and not end in the gap between 2 market not satisfying one and not interesting the other.

Have to remember the customer is the owner of the financial act. Without customers, no business at all.

You wouldn t believe how many companies crash in the 2 first years by lack of market knowledge, and how many more call for help because things aren t going well by simple mistake.

I wish you good luck and sucess because right, now i don t see a tank sim that appeal to me, hope you ll be the first.

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

This would be so cool for Arma 2 or even Arma 3 when it comes out. Great work on your project man.

Thanks Winchester.

Succellus,

Besides hearing about SB, I know of no other tank sim. I want one, people seem interested enough.

If it doesn't sell it doesn't sell, I have no overhead.

Thanks for your input though.

America's Armor

Dev Notes

AARM on Facebook

Help Fund AARM

Mark me down as your first customer. Seriously. I litterly want to buy the FIRST copy.

I need, I need, I need... What about my wants? QuickSilver original.

"Off with his job" Mr Burns on the Simpsons.

"I've seen steering wheels / arcade sticks / flight sticks for over a hundred dollars; why be surprised at a 150 dollar item that includes the complexities of this controller?! It has BLINKY LIGHTS!!" author unknown.

These titles are listed in the chronological order I purchased them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Knowing Quicksilver. He wants the 1st copy. I'll take one too. Keep up the good work. I'm watching this sim.

Sounds great.

As you know this is still in the early stages. One of my main reasons for posting it here, is I have been a member of this community for years, don't go by my join date on my name. I know a lot of you guys are very technical and would be very useful in alpha and beta testing. I am seeking trustworthy people from anywhere on the globe to get involved, and those that are qualified I will select to be alpha testers, which will be testing every aspect of the sim. Even the state of the sim now, I would like to test with some testers, just to get feedback on the controls and style of the

environment, the effects, basically everything.

As most of you know, when getting alpha testing or even beta testing status requires the signing of a NDA. Which I would need to implement.

So, if anyone is interested in this, let me know, join the forums, that would be the best way to follow the project.

America's Armor

Dev Notes

AARM on Facebook

Help Fund AARM

I know absolutely nothing about tanks other than how to kill them in DCS. And that the main gun makes an awesome boom! I wouldn't be a very good beta tester as such.

FYI it would be nice if you put a link to your forums in your Sig. I know you already linked it. But would still be nice.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I know absolutely nothing about tanks other than how to kill them in DCS. And that the main gun makes an awesome boom! I wouldn't be a very good beta tester as such.

FYI it would be nice if you put a link to your forums in your Sig. I know you already linked it. But would still be nice.

This Sim is going to be as realistic as possible, I will be implementing it in a way that will be exacly like the Doctrine used, whether it is NATO or WARSAW. Of course using what information I am able to use without landing in prison.

You are not expected to know anything about tanks, but even the little things. Like does the tracks look realistic when traveling over terrain or objects, what areas of the map create glitches to the tracks and issues with the firing system. We want it to be as real as possible, and more the eyes the merrier. There is of course requirements to be selected as a tester. Alpha tester requirements will be a bit more strict, as it is dealing with developmental materials.

America's Armor

Dev Notes

AARM on Facebook

Help Fund AARM

I am not being sarcastic. I assure you I am very serious.

I need, I need, I need... What about my wants? QuickSilver original.

"Off with his job" Mr Burns on the Simpsons.

"I've seen steering wheels / arcade sticks / flight sticks for over a hundred dollars; why be surprised at a 150 dollar item that includes the complexities of this controller?! It has BLINKY LIGHTS!!" author unknown.

These titles are listed in the chronological order I purchased them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]