Notices

Old 05-05-2011, 03:39 PM   #1
PeterP
Veteran

Reputation power: 97
PeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to behold
Lightbulb How To: Remove centre detend from Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

Imagine this situation:
You controlling the Black Shark and you just looked a target and want to shoot a Vikhr...
You trimmed and you a re almost there to shoot...
The only thing you still have to do is to move your nose a tiny little notch to the right to get launch permission from the targeting computer and finally fire the missile...
- but there is a little thing that prevents you to do this accurately ! ... :

the
annoying centre detent on your Rudder Pedals !!!

Above is just a little example what can happen in many situations using the Saitek Rudders.

Please don't get me wrong -
The Saitek Rudders are very reliable and sturdy and I would recommend them any-time again to others - they offer the most for your money on the market - I use mine since three years ( two years without the detent) and have no problem in accuracy and stability .

... BUT :
I don't know any Aircraft that has a center detent at the pedals...,
why Saitek decided to do this ?! -
Not only that this is very unrealistic - it makes also small adjustments near this detent nearly impossible !

How To:
Remove the
(annoying) centre detent from Saitek Pro Flight-
and Combat- Rudder Pedals

One notice about your warranty :
Doing it in the way I described it here - without braking/further modifying something inside them should not remove your warranty -at least here in Germany!
As you just make them fit for the by Saitek advertised purpose that is : Fine controll of the Simulation. A German court would judge the same - you just have to remove a part that is non-critical to the whole structure to be able to fully use them.

But:

The optional Step 9. and 10. can conflict with the warranty.

So let's get started...

You will need this tools:

Needle nose pliers

Small Cross-head screwdriver

and about 30min of time and the same amount of concentration...
(a calm and clean working-place will also help significant to stay in between the 30min time-frame )

1.Remove all screws from the backside and don't forget the Four screws that are hidden under the rubber pads.

2.Disconnect one side of the spring so that the mechanic of the pedals will not stay under pressure while you working your way through to the detent of the the rudder pedals.

3.Remove the small Metal rod by pushing it gently to one side with the pliers.

4.Pull off the centre-ring that holds the axis together.

5.Gently bend the side of the
pedal up (about 1cm) and move the turning middle section down to disconnect it from the pedal.
Do the same with the other side.

6.Move both (now freely moving)
pedals in opposite direction...

7. ... to be able to pull off the middle plate from the axis.
Be careful with the wires !

8. In the next pictures you can see the part that is causing the centre detent and the problems when making small adjustments.

Pull out the little Plastic inside the tube and also the spring under it.

(Thanks to Eponsky_bot for posting the pictures for this step)

AND MAKE SURE YOU DIDN'T MOVED THE COGS THAT TRANSLATE THE MOVEMENT DIRECTLY TO THE POTENTIOMETER ONE OR TWO TOOTH FURTHER ACCIDENTALLY !
>>> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.ph...72#post1785372

9. Optional (can remove your warranty):
You can widen the big spring just a little 2-3mm with the help of a second pilers to get a even smoother transition to the centre.

You can also remove the heavy spring completely and use rubber-bands similar like described in this thread http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=63870
This is recommend for Helicopter simulations - you have no centring force at all in a helicopter - only damping is applied from the hydraulics/mechanic !
Spoiler:

10.Optional (can remove your warranty):
You can also remove the two covers between the housing and the left and right pedals to get rid of the annoying scratching noise
with a scissor/knife. But be aware that you have to be careful that no small parts/dirt from your shoes will fall in.( I maintain my pedals once every 6 month -I clean them up inside and grease them afterwards with silicone-grease. )

11. Now put everything in the exact reserve order together . Be careful with the wires! Make sure they move freely when you put the backplate on.

If you found this useful you may want to check also this:

Zoom-In/Zomm-Out on PAC1 to make your life easier !

Tweaked Cockpit Views for DCS:A-10C

How to unchain the rudder from trim
in DCS-BlackShark

corrupt calibration? crazy joystick response? Use this tools Fix it:

Drag/Drop and Click-able Radio Communication menu

Last edited by PeterP; 06-13-2013 at 08:02 AM.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 01:24 PM   #2
PeterP
Veteran

PeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to beholdPeterP is a splendid one to behold

Thanks to Eponsky_bot for posting the missing pictures of step 8 of the instruction.
So I can finally add them to the instruction

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.ph...13#post1293313 :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eponsky_bot View Post

Last edited by PeterP; 09-19-2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:01 AM   #3
TulsA-10

Reputation power: 8
TulsA-10 is a jewel in the rough

This is a must have mod.. Thank you for the info.. Now the pedels are a lot more smooth.

OS: Windows 7 Pro x64 CPU: Intel i7-960 "No OC" MOBO: ASUS P6T7 WS Supercomputer RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 6GB 1333 VIDEO: EVGA 580 GTX 3072MB DISPLAY: Samsung 47in LED TV / HP L2105tm + Helios PERIPHERALS: TH Warthog HOTAS , Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5
TulsA-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:24 PM   #4
PeterP
Veteran

Hi TulsA-10,
glad I could be a help!

So this instruction works also for the Combat flight rudder pedals (you have them in your sig) ?!

Can you confirm that - and if there are big difference - what are these ?

Old 09-20-2011, 02:10 AM   #5
TulsA-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
Hi TulsA-10,
glad I could be a help!

So this instruction works also for the Combat flight rudder pedals (you have them in your sig) ?!

Can you confirm that - and if there are big difference - what are these ?
Confirmed working mod with combat pedels! Thanks mate.

OS: Windows 7 Pro x64 CPU: Intel i7-960 "No OC" MOBO: ASUS P6T7 WS Supercomputer RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 6GB 1333 VIDEO: EVGA 580 GTX 3072MB DISPLAY: Samsung 47in LED TV / HP L2105tm + Helios PERIPHERALS: TH Warthog HOTAS , Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5
Old 09-20-2011, 02:15 AM   #6
PeterP
Veteran

Thanks- so I will edit my #1 post that this will also work for the combat pedals! - and there are no big differences!? (why should they change a running system , heh?)

Last edited by PeterP; 09-20-2011 at 02:18 AM.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:27 PM   #7
TulsA-10

I have both sets of pedals for two different pits and the removal is the same for both. It looks like the only thing that is defferent between the combat and non combat pedals are the foot pedals themself. The internals look the same.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:23 PM   #8
luckyluca

Reputation power: 7
luckyluca is on a distinguished road

I applied the mod to my combat pedals today, now the feel great thank you for your tutorial!

p.s.
I kept the scissor plastic bits (the ones to prevent dust coming in) but sprayed silicone grease, it's quite smooth and the plasticky noise less apparent.
Btw how do you take them out without breaking them?

L
luckyluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:52 PM   #9
PeterP
Veteran

Thanks !

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyluca View Post
Btw how do you take them out without breaking them?

L
You will have to disassemble the whole pedals...with wires and so on!

I simply used a big scissor and cut them apart to remove them...

Old 04-05-2012, 06:04 PM   #10
Reticuli

Reputation power: 0
Reticuli is an unknown quantity at this point

Do the cessna pedals have the detent? And how low can you get the tension on the three different pedal models without removing that spring?

http://library.avsim.net/register.php

X52 + Silicone Grease = JOY stick
Reticuli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
detent, pedals, remove, rudder, saitek