Low Cost Hallsensor mod for Cougar

Items needed:

Instant(Super) glue :1 qty (can be used metal & plastic)

A1302 chip x 2 ( you can buy it from http://www.leobodnar.com/products/BU0836/ scroll down)

Rare Earth 6.5 mm cubic magnet x 2 (I got it from ebay)

DSC02620.jpg

I did it my pots are totally jumpy, you should try this but your own risk. There is datasheet about A1302 and connection diagram etc at leobodnar.com too.

The gap between A1302 & magnet is about 1 mm, if less than 1 mm, values saturate too fast before reaching gimbal limit. you have to adjust gap, and magnet orientation.

http://seveng-f18.com

Edited by seveng-f18.com
  • Like 1

Nice! :thumbup:

I already don't understand why many people consider that only >100U$ HALL sensor work...

In DwTweak2 (or Diview) what minimal and maximum values you get?

Sokol1_Br

Depend on how you manipulate the objects(magnet & sensor), you'll get values 0-65535 if you put those correctly. I did it this order,

0. check which surface of magnet is reacting to sensor(when you moving left and right), so you have to solder first(A1302 to cougar pots wire). I recommend pull usb cable out from computer while soldering. Also important double checking correct wiring.

and mark on magnet.

1. Put magnet with glue. Plug it in.

2. while gluing sensor, you have only 5 to 10 second before it harden, watching values of cougar viewer, what you have to do now is centering values of sensor readout.

3. Adjust gab, it bends well.

4. manual calibration

It's been 3 days it works perfectly, I have hotas warthog but using only throttle, the stick have static friction rather bigger than cougar. I tested it have 20000 different values means near 15 bit precision.

• 1 year later...

i built one of these sensors into my cougar throttle two days ago. took me 5h to bring the sensor and magnet in the right position, to use the whole axis. but now it's working like a charme. :joystick:

best 3EUR hack ever. :thumbup:

• i5-3570K, 16GB DDR3, GTX660Ti, SSD, Win7 64Bit
  • Warthog Base + Cougar Stick, Cougar Throttle (el cheapo HAL-Mod), MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5
  • Blackshark 1&2, A-10C, P-51, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, F86-F, MiG-21Bis, Combined Arms, FC3, Falcon BMS, Rise of Flight

• 2 months later...

Someone requested this...

cougar_throttle_mod.thumb.jpg.f2c9302002955690cb6d19975830d6ae.jpg

• Warthog Base + Cougar Stick, Cougar Throttle (el cheapo HAL-Mod), MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5
  • Blackshark 1&2, A-10C, P-51, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, F86-F, MiG-21Bis, Combined Arms, FC3, Falcon BMS, Rise of Flight

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Throttle Problems

I put a hall sensor in my throttle. Cant get it to work. Meanwhile I put one on the Y axis on my stick. Works fine. So I ordered a couple more sensors. I gave it another try. But no go. I tried it on the Y axis and it works, move it over to the throttle and no go! It's not the magnets because I checked that.

One thing I have found is that the voltage at the throttle is only 3.9 volts. The sensors require 4.5 volts! And it seems that brown is negative and orange is positive ! On the x and y axis brown is positive.

I don't get it????

Menessis

Edited by Menessis

In Germany I can find only 6 mm or 7 mm Neodym magnets, for me there is no way to find 6,5 mm Neodyms. So what size should work best, 6 mm or 7mm? I guess that I also should consider a different space between the sensor and the magnets as the 6 mm is weaker and the 7 mm is stronger than the 6,5 mm magnet.

Edited by pikas

PC: Win 10 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 64GB RAM, GForce RTX 4090.

Cockpit & HOTAS: VKB Gunfighter MKIII with MCG PRO, Vipril MT-50 CM2, Virpil Rotor Plus & SharKa-50 grip, Thrustmaster TPR, Virpil SharKa-50 Control Panel, WinWing Phoenix MIP, WinWing PTO & PCR, Total Control Apachte MPD frames, several DIY panels, NLR GTTRACK, NLR Motion V3, ButtKicker Gamer PLUS

VR: Varjo Aero, HP Reverb G2

I'm wondering if it matters much how strong the magnet is?

That's exactly what it is about. (And some adjustments of the magnet to apply its field in a good spot on the sensor.)

Does a magnet size matter here?

Nope, size does not matter, its all about the strength of the magnet.

So what size should work best, 6 mm or 7mm? I guess that I also should consider a different space between the sensor and the magnets as the 6 mm is weaker and the 7 mm is stronger than the 6,5 mm magnet.

I would go with the 6mm magnet. Leaves you enough space to adjust the position of the sensor right. When I was doing this hack, it took me like half an hour to put the parts in and ssome couple of hours to adjust the sensor, that i use exactly the part of the magnetic field, that gives me the best values and the widest possible range on my axis.

One thing I have found is that the voltage at the throttle is only 3.9 volts. The sensors require 4.5 volts! And it seems that brown is negative and orange is positive ! On the x and y axis brown is positive.

The Voltage should not be the problem. there is a voltage margin in which electronic parts work. a little bit less voltage should normally not be a problem. it would be bad, if it was much more voltage.

Did you also use the A1302?

This sounds really interesting. Since I can't seem to get a hold of the guy from CubPilot to order a Hal Sensor this option may be the thing.

Did a little searching on ebay and would this magnet work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-N42-Neodymium-Magnet-Cube-rare-earth-BRUTALLY-SUPER-STRONG-/261090383399?_trksid=p2047675.m2109&_trkparms=aid%3D555003%26algo%3DPW.CAT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D142%26meid%3D5033390144153094257%26pid%3D100010%26prg%3D1076%26rk%3D2%26sd%3D280882440939%26

Also, I take it there is some soldering involved here?

When you guys say it takes time to get it in the right spot, do you have the throttle hooked up to the computer while testing it or do you use other instruments to judge?

I'd like to try this for my Cougar Throttle. I already have HAL sensors on my stick, they work great.

This sounds really interesting. Since I can't seem to get a hold of the guy from CubPilot to order a Hal Sensor this option may be the thing.

Did a little searching on ebay and would this magnet work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-N42-Neodymium-Magnet-Cube-rare-earth-BRUTALLY-SUPER-STRONG-/261090383399?_trksid=p2047675.m2109&_trkparms=aid%3D555003%26algo%3DPW.CAT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D142%26meid%3D5033390144153094257%26pid%3D100010%26prg%3D1076%26rk%3D2%26sd%3D280882440939%26

Also, I take it there is some soldering involved here?

When you guys say it takes time to get it in the right spot, do you have the throttle hooked up to the computer while testing it or do you use other instruments to judge?

I'd like to try this for my Cougar Throttle. I already have HAL sensors on my stick, they work great.

this magnet qould be really to big. something around 6mm would be fine.

yes there is soldering involved. you need to solder out the potentiometer and solder in the hal sensor.

for testing i had the throttle connected to my computer, easiest and cheapest solution.

• Like 1

I would go with the 6mm magnet. Leaves you enough space to adjust the position of the sensor right. When I was doing this hack, it took me like half an hour to put the parts in and ssome couple of hours to adjust the sensor, that i use exactly the part of the magnetic field, that gives me the best values and the widest possible range on my axis.

Thanks a lot for your answer sebbomann. I will go for the 6 mm magnet and the A1302. I hope I will have the endurance and skill to get it to work :book:.

Edited by pikas

PC: Win 10 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 64GB RAM, GForce RTX 4090.

Cockpit & HOTAS: VKB Gunfighter MKIII with MCG PRO, Vipril MT-50 CM2, Virpil Rotor Plus & SharKa-50 grip, Thrustmaster TPR, Virpil SharKa-50 Control Panel, WinWing Phoenix MIP, WinWing PTO & PCR, Total Control Apachte MPD frames, several DIY panels, NLR GTTRACK, NLR Motion V3, ButtKicker Gamer PLUS

VR: Varjo Aero, HP Reverb G2

Thanks a lot for your answer sobbomann. I will go for the 6 mm magnet and the A1302. I hope I will have the endurance and skill to get it to work :book:.

No problem. Ask here or PM me, if you need any help. :)

Well here is what is happening in my case. Solder up the hall sensor. I used a HoneyWell 480-3591-nd. Same one I used on the stick.

I used two 1/4" magnets placed on each side of sensor. I don't get any response. I unplug the sensor from the throttle and plug it in the "x" axis on my stick, pass a magnet by it and it works. So it works in the stick but not the throttle. Then I put the pot back on the throttle and it works, so the throttle is not burned out. The sensor works, but not in the throttle. What's left? I check the voltage to see what was there and found 3.9 volts. Then I check the specs on that sensor it says 4.5 minimum. The Alegro 1302 is about the same spec.

I don't think there is enough voltage. But don't know what to try next.

Menessis

What's left? I check the voltage to see what was there and found 3.9 volts. Then I check the specs on that sensor it says 4.5 minimum. The Alegro 1302 is about the same spec.

The specs are not really the same. Your Honeywell-sensor operates from 4.5V to 10.5V. And the specs on the A1302 are a little different (4.5V - 6V). This does not say much, but this difference could be the cause, why your sensor is not responding. I asked a colleague about that, who is very good in electronics, and he said, that if your part works at your given voltage level, even if it is not in the range specified in the datasheet, you're fine.

So there are two things which remain to you:

• raise your supply voltage whith an external power supply (not cool, higher supply voltage means higher output voltage and you might kill your throttle)

• use the a1302

hope that helps...

good luck. ;)

• 2 years later...

OK, so I've just ordered the magnets and hal;l sensors. All for under £10. Fingers crossed I can get this to work :-)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus ROG Rampage Extreme VI; i9 7900X (all 10 cores at 4.5GHz); 32 Gb Corsair Dominator DDR4; EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid; 1Tb Samsung 960 Evo M2; 2Tb Samsung 850 Pro secondary.

Oculus Rift; TM Warthog; Saitek Combat Pros.

Anyone got any pics of this mod on the X or Y stick Axis? Just for reference so I can have a go at it

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus ROG Rampage Extreme VI; i9 7900X (all 10 cores at 4.5GHz); 32 Gb Corsair Dominator DDR4; EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid; 1Tb Samsung 960 Evo M2; 2Tb Samsung 850 Pro secondary.

Oculus Rift; TM Warthog; Saitek Combat Pros.