Microsoft SideWinder Force FeedBack 2 (MS FFB2 XP32) setup

ChromeWasp

Hi

Just got my FFB2 working nicely, here are some tips that might save you some time:

- WinXP already has FFB2 drivers // no need to install any software

- to solve problem of pulling right after trimming set "Switch Axis" in FF TUNE control options

- FFB2 has hand sensor which is light beam between 2 points - just below trigger to just above hand grip base - cover this with electric tape otherwise you can move the controls // you can see status of hand sensor by watching the large green light // dim = no hand present = no force feedback

- there maybe issues with non-linear or non-default control curves // try and use default curves if possible

- central trim is turned off // but don't think it matters

once configured correctly it works very well

Yeah that reversed axis is a pain for people that don't know about it. Don't know why they havent fixed that yet. By the way ChromeWasp I was thinking of getting a CH throttle since they sell them seperately. Do you use a seperate throttle? I have also heard CH makes thier products incompatable with other hardware on purpose. Will a CH throttle even work with a Microsoft product?

I need, I need, I need... What about my wants? QuickSilver original.

"Off with his job" Mr Burns on the Simpsons.

"I've seen steering wheels / arcade sticks / flight sticks for over a hundred dollars; why be surprised at a 150 dollar item that includes the complexities of this controller?! It has BLINKY LIGHTS!!" author unknown.

These titles are listed in the chronological order I purchased them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

heard good things about CH rudder pedals

doubt if CH would play games with drivers, although I have experienced "driver wars" between logitech and microsoft products in past due to filters being left behind after uninstall

thinking about using the throttles on my AV8R as they are better than FFB2 throttle (higher resolution, smoother and easier to control)

mixing game controllers from different vendors shouldn't be an issue - I have 4 different controllers at the moment with no problems

Honestly I think MSFFB2 really is the Ferrari of FFB sticks. Too bad they don't make them anymore. I mean they haven't made these things in years and there still working perfectly, talk about quality (most sticks last what.... a year maybee two). I wonder why MS does'nt rerelease this product?

"I've seen steering wheels / arcade sticks / flight sticks for over a hundred dollars; why be surprised at a 150 dollar item that includes the complexities of this controller?! It has BLINKY LIGHTS!!" author unknown.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...

Yes you can use it in FC 2 and yes the forces ARE active.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Honestly I think MSFFB2 really is the Ferrari of FFB sticks. Too bad they don't make them anymore. I mean they haven't made these things in years and there still working perfectly, talk about quality (most sticks last what.... a year maybee two). I wonder why MS does'nt rerelease this product?

If they did they would use the name popularity and produce a sub standard product and get sales from name alone. Then when trying to find one used, you would never know if it was a good one or a new bad one.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Aaron

i7 2600k@4.4ghz, GTX1060-6gb, 16gb DDR3, T16000m, Track IR5

BS2-A10C-UH1-FC3-M2000-F18C-A4E-F14B-BF109

Perhaps thats true. I would'nt think they would look exactly the same though. Todays flight sims are alot more complicated and users typically want more buttons than the MSFF2 sticks offer. Also after the Vista failure I think Microsoft is trying to rebuild their name. I don't think they would ruin a good product name and bring themselves negative press.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No one but us care about a low quality stick. They would want to make money like every other business. They are making $0 on sales of MSFFB2 right now. So cashing in on the name for a few more sales would mean nothing. Okay, so they get a bad name, are gamers going to switch to apple? Even if they do, to play the games they still need to buy Windows to run parallels, or they could try linux if they know what they are doing and want to mess around even more before playing PC games.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Aaron

i7 2600k@4.4ghz, GTX1060-6gb, 16gb DDR3, T16000m, Track IR5

BS2-A10C-UH1-FC3-M2000-F18C-A4E-F14B-BF109

Unfortunately, FFB stick only works as well as the game.

BS and Il-2 work beautifully with MSFFB2, RoF- not so much, which is a shame, the older the aircraft, the more useful FFB is. I've had to buy a CH stick just for RoF :(

Really hope SoW supports FFB well.