Free face tracking - No lamps, reflexes or anything - that WORKS! - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-12-2010, 07:00 PM   #1
RipKirby

Reputation power: 8
RipKirby will become famous soon enoughRipKirby will become famous soon enoughRipKirby will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to RipKirby
Thumbs up Free face tracking - No lamps, reflexes or anything - that WORKS!

Great news everyone!

FaceTrackNoIR is an application that uses a webcam to track face movements in real time.

NEW METHOD as of 20 aug 2010:

Go to http://sourceforge.net/projects/facetracknoir/files/ get the program and the Update_FaceTrackNoIR_20100716 TrackIR.zip Second Update

Then go to naturalpointofview.blogspot.com/p/trackirfixer.html and follow instructions. Real simple.

OLD:

Go to http://sourceforge.net/projects/facetracknoir/files/ get the program and the Update_FaceTrackNoIR_20100716 TrackIR.zip Second Update

Then get ppjoy0846testrelease.exe from here: http://ppjoy.blogspot.com/2010/03/new-test-release.html

First, open the windows control panel and find your PPJoy controlpanel. Make a new joystick. I called mine Joystick 10 and set it like this:

We should get 6 DOF but, alas, poor Yorrick. Perhaps something we can work on. I cant get FaketrackIR working under Game Protocol. I tried running PPJoy -> TrackIR4Fun also to no avail. One of those would be killer so please post if you find a solution to this.

Then open the FaceTrackNoIR. Here's how I set it up:

The program tracks your face through webcam. This is my built-in laptop cam and I get 0% CPU but only 20fps - this must be a limitation in the cheapo webcam that Dell puts there.

If you disable EWMA filtering, you get a much sharper and faster reacting result. Ahhh, lots of tinkering to do. All of this is great for the more anal type that likes these kinds of things.

Set the Game Protocol to Virtual Joystick and select Joystick 10 under setting. See? Joystick 10, our friend from before Now, we are sending the values from the headtracking to Joystick 10, which is a virtual joystick, and NOW we can go to our simulator and set things up.

This is the good part:

Inverse the X and Y axis, set your deadzones as you like it and its up up up and AWAY!

No Wii controllers, no soldering and setting the cat on fire, no old caps with a flashlight, no taping bicycle lamps to your face. Just you and the good old webcam

Let me know if it works out for ya.

PS: I am running this on Win7 x64

PPS: If the FaceTrackNoIR installer or program says it's missing dll or similar, try getting FaceAPI: http://www.seeingmachines.com/produc...api/downloads/ - request a non commercial license, its automated and takes 1 minute.

Last edited by RipKirby; 08-20-2010 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Better method
RipKirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:33 PM   #2
636_Castle

Reputation power: 20
636_Castle is a glorious beacon of light636_Castle is a glorious beacon of light636_Castle is a glorious beacon of light636_Castle is a glorious beacon of light636_Castle is a glorious beacon of light636_Castle is a glorious beacon of light636_Castle is a glorious beacon of light636_Castle is a glorious beacon of light636_Castle is a glorious beacon of light636_Castle is a glorious beacon of light636_Castle is a glorious beacon of light

Looks awesome Rip. I hate all the wires and gadgets you have to wear with TrackIR. Is it any good? Anything not 100% about it?

How To Fix Your X-52's Rudder!
636_Castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:12 PM   #3
RipKirby

RipKirby will become famous soon enoughRipKirby will become famous soon enoughRipKirby will become famous soon enough

So far so good. I had to delete and add a virtual joy but I think that was down to me tinkering too much.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:49 PM   #4
Boberro
Veteran

Reputation power: 239
Boberro has a brilliant futureBoberro has a brilliant futureBoberro has a brilliant futureBoberro has a brilliant futureBoberro has a brilliant futureBoberro has a brilliant futureBoberro has a brilliant futureBoberro has a brilliant futureBoberro has a brilliant futureBoberro has a brilliant futureBoberro has a brilliant future

How much CPU does it eat?

Boberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:56 PM   #5
RipKirby

It reports 0% but task manager says 1-3. I have seen a 15% spike.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:04 PM   #6
Boberro
Veteran

Reputation power: 239
Boberro has a brilliant futureBoberro has a brilliant futureBoberro has a brilliant futureBoberro has a brilliant futureBoberro has a brilliant futureBoberro has a brilliant futureBoberro has a brilliant futureBoberro has a brilliant futureBoberro has a brilliant futureBoberro has a brilliant futureBoberro has a brilliant future

Hmm so i better hold on till I get new PC ;]

Boberro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:06 PM   #7
metalnwood

Reputation power: 18
metalnwood is just really nicemetalnwood is just really nicemetalnwood is just really nicemetalnwood is just really nicemetalnwood is just really nicemetalnwood is just really nicemetalnwood is just really nicemetalnwood is just really nicemetalnwood is just really nicemetalnwood is just really nicemetalnwood is just really nice

I have a tir 4 so I don't need to give it a go but I always thought the precision would not be as good. Actual usage beats my theory/guessing though so I am interested to see how it performs for people.

I know from other interests that finding the center of a blob like tir does can be done with sub pixel accuracy easily and quickly. Finding facial positions with the same accuracy may not be possible at all or would take up serious cpu.

So it would be good to see in real life what it behaves like, they probably have some serious smoothing built in to stop the jerkyness that I would expect.
metalnwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:15 PM   #8
RipKirby

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalnwood View Post
I have a tir 4 so I don't need to give it a go but I always thought the precision would not be as good. Actual usage beats my theory/guessing though so I am interested to see how it performs for people.

I know from other interests that finding the center of a blob like tir does can be done with sub pixel accuracy easily and quickly. Finding facial positions with the same accuracy may not be possible at all or would take up serious cpu.

So it would be good to see in real life what it behaves like, they probably have some serious smoothing built in to stop the jerkyness that I would expect.
You are absolutely right. There is filtering built in - the mission is to find a balance between jitter/smoothness and update speed. Now, my webcam is shitpoor so I get very low fps which makes everything a lot harder.

You can see the same setup in IL-2 here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNE9FfFMeh0
Old 08-12-2010, 09:21 PM   #9
metalnwood

Reputation power: 18
metalnwood is just really nicemetalnwood is just really nicemetalnwood is just really nicemetalnwood is just really nicemetalnwood is just really nicemetalnwood is just really nicemetalnwood is just really nicemetalnwood is just really nicemetalnwood is just really nicemetalnwood is just really nicemetalnwood is just really nice

That didn't look too bad at all. Of course it's hard to judge how it feels to the user as far as lag etc.

I hope it does well, when I feel the need to upgrade I will certainly give it a go before spending a lot of $$$.

It would be a nice feeling to play something with speakers on, loking around with nothing on your head
metalnwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:35 PM   #10
RipKirby

I'm too tired to muck with it right now but I'd love to hear what everyone is doing with it, what is your settings and how does it behave. What are your FPS and how does the filter behave on your rigs. See yall tomorrow.

Last edited by RipKirby; 08-12-2010 at 09:38 PM.

Tags
facetracknoir, headtracking, ppjoy, tracking, trackir