9 steps to heaven! OR LOMAC 1.12b, Windows 7 x64 and the pursuit of happiness

coolts

Apologies for those of you, who are happy with XP and are sick of hearing of us “transients” who have moved to Win 7, but most transitional issues can be worked around, (blows raspberry in the general direction of Windows XP). This repeats a lot of the great info on this forum and others I know, but it may help some newbie’s to get up and running quicker as my patience has worn thin a few times. It seems like EVERY SINGLE PROBLEM EVER reported on this forum has happened to me and I have learned a lot from fighting my way through. None of these discoveries are mine, but after several months where LOMAC sat gathering dust in disgrace on my shelf, this is how I got it working properly….

[**EDIT** the gfx control panel settings below assume an NVIDIA card. This is simply because thats what i have...until my 5870 turns up.. amazon.co.uk are you listening?? ;)]

[**EDIT** i had to post the table as an image, and it may be hard to read. Does anyone know an easy way of embedding the table in the post? i may try to add as a link.]

picture.php?albumid=333&pictureid=2417

[links pasted here as they are embedded in image above as i couldnt get the table to render in the post]

http://www.dutch-flankers.nl/wiki/index.php?title=Installing_Flaming_Cliffs_on_Windows_7

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=34335&highlight=graphics.cfg

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=50225

Notes

*BS does this where cockpit sounds are loud as if the door was open. You F2 outside view then F1 back in again and the problem goes away. This is similar to LOMAC but that fix doesn’t work here, as it’s a vista\7 direct sound deprecation problem.

** This stumped a lot of people including me, twice. Follow this link. Do not deviate, do not blink. Do it from scratch, (clear previous install dirs, etc), and if should work.

***This is the final minor glitch I can’t seem to shake. I have a 3.6ghz box with 4gb or ram and a 1gb GFX card. LOMAC is traditionally CPU bound but this looks like a data throughput glitch. I will run perfmon & process explorer and monitor the lockon.exe process to diagnose. Setting core affinity helps, and I am aware of the various x64 related posts and just hope FC2 doesn’t do this otherwise I might start on Prozac or start playing FC with whale song in the background.

The subject of MODS for newbies

Go to lockonfiles.com and get MODMAN 7.1 (backup your lockon folder in case things go titsup****)

After reading vipers thread, (http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=49980), where I thought “how come his LOMAC makes mine look like its running on an AMIGA? “, he very kindly showed me the mods he uses, (in that thread), I was gobsmacked, so I started experimenting. Now LOMAC looks better than ever and runs very nicely. (I don’t have that many mods as my install started to creak a little so I cherry picked the nicest. PM me for my list)

****technical term

Conclusion

A palaver? sure, but remember, you are getting a 7 year old game to work on hardware & OS software that wasn’t even conceived back then. You are also learning a lot about the hows and whys of Windows which should stand you in good stead in the future.

Now apart from the alt-tab minor annoyance, FC works like a charm and looks wonderful on win 7 x64, in proper widescreen!

Happy shooting!:pilotfly:

Edited by coolts

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 9700k | 32gb DDR4 | Geforce 2080ti | TrackIR 5 | Rift S | HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO Pedals

gahhhh! another technical problem! Can you see it now? i added the pic to the "albums" bit on the profile page:doh:

Edited by coolts
  • Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 9700k | 32gb DDR4 | Geforce 2080ti | TrackIR 5 | Rift S | HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO Pedals

cheers guys. can you verify that you can see the pic with my table on it? i couldnt get a table into the post, (possibly if i mess about with HTML), so i uploaded a pic, but it wouldnt let me upload a pic from my pc, (to save ed server space prob).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nice tips, but it seems that you've missed the fact that there are many users out there who don't use an nVidia card :)

If you're using an ATi Radeon card, you can force v-sync on/off in Win7 with D3DOverrider which is included in Rivatuner

http://downloads.guru3d.com/RivaTuner-v2.24c-download-163.html

and for setting Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering settings in Direct3D, i highly recommend Ray Adams' ATi Tray Tools

http://downloads.guru3d.com/ATI-Tray-Tools-1.6.9.1472-download-733.html

Edited by Mustang

Another aspect to remember is that the HDR Mod does not allow you to Alt-Tab back into the SIM.

....can you verify that you can see the pic with my table on it?.....

Aye - I See It :)

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Joe Kurr - no problem. honoured actually:thumbup:

Mustang - I have edited my post to reflect the NVIDIA specific nature of the two control panel tweaks. I haven’t played the game on an ATI card yet, (till I get my 5870).

Viper - Pity. I was going to try that mod, it looks impressive. I need the alt-tab trick to fix the weird stutter bug.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Does V-Sync really work (nVidia)?

Here it doesn't (set in nVidia Control Panel or nHancer).

It's not only in LockOn, it doesn't work in any other game either. Worked (or workes) fine in XP though.

Tried various drivers, all a no go. Reverted back to 182.50 which was the only one which i could use to solve a resolution problem.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

hmmm…. I had that same issue, (tearing on BS & LOMAC), no matter what I did. It works now though. I don’t therefore think it had anything to do with LOMAC or BS but rather flakey NVIDIA control panel.

Over the course of a 6 month period I must have updated drivers 3 or 4 times. I noticed it works now, (before I prepared this post), and i have done nothing differently apart from disabling UAC but I’m not saying that was a factor.

My best guess is that the newest nvidia drivers / control panel do work when setting application specific profiles. Make sure you do set per app and make sure the app appears on the list. Failing that, do a complete uninstall / reinstall of the nvidia drivers and all associated apps.

Good luck

ps. I'm not using nHancer or Rivatuner as the latter does'nt yet work with the latest Nvidia drivers, but as LOMAC is so CPU dependant anyway the gfx card isnt so much of an issue, (assuming you have a powerful card).

Edited by coolts

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]