Quick to configure ABRIS and LCD mini monitor - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-24-2010, 10:24 PM   #1
JAG

Reputation power: 11
JAG is a jewel in the roughJAG is a jewel in the roughJAG is a jewel in the roughJAG is a jewel in the roughJAG is a jewel in the roughJAG is a jewel in the roughJAG is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to JAG
Default Quick guide to configure ABRIS and LCD mini monitor

Hi guys, I want to share this with you, because I have received a lot of help from many guys in the forum, and want to give back some of that help.

Here I will explain how to configure lua files to show the ABRIS on a second monitor, in this case a Samsung U70 7" USB LCD monitor.

At first things look a little bit harder, but they are not complicated at all.

One important thing is the resolutions of the monitors, in this example I used a Main one with a resolution of 1440x900 and a mini monitor with a resolution of 800x480.

Before getting into the action we need to do a few things. Enter to the screen properties windows and select configuration, then select from the dropdown box the second monitor and enable the option Extend the desktop to this monitor.
In the same windows you will see a Image showing two monitors, number 1 is the main monitor, and numer 2 it's in this case the mini monitor. If the image of the second monitor is at the left of the main one, click on it and drag it to the right of the main one, and when you see a box with coordinates, move it until you see 1440x0 coordinates, then click OK.
If your main monitor use a higher resolution, don't worry, the procedure it's the same, for example, if the resolution is 1920x1024, move the second monitor, until you see the coordinates 1920x0.

As the ABRIS is showed vertically, then we must rotate the screen on the second monitor. If we were doing this for the shkval, we don't rotate the screen.

Now we need to calculate the area that will show the cockpit and the ABRIS, and we obtain that value from the sum of the width from first monitor and second monitor in this case 1440+480 = 1920. We sum 480, because the ABRIS is showed vertically instead of horizontal, if we are doing this for Shkval, then the total area will be 1440+800=2240.

Enough of complex maths, let's go to the action. Now we need to modify and create lua files. Before this, make sure you are using a proper editor for this kind of file, there is a free one and popular called Notepad++, it's a free editor, just google it, and you will find it quickly, or if you are familiarized with this, use your favorite one.
The first file you need to modify is options.lua located in ...\Ka-50\BlackShark\data\scripts\ open it and go to the final of the file, once there you need to change a few values.

The last file we need, will store our dual monitor configuration and we could create it or modify one of the existing in ...\ka-50\Config\MonitorSetup, I recommend you to open one of the availables, and modify the values. Open the file Shkval+Camera.lua and you must see something like this in your editor:

Next we modify the next values:

Once all the values are in place, save the file as Camera+ABRIS.lua, later you can change the name if you like, and make sure to save the file in ...\ka-50\Config\MonitorSetup.

Now open the sim, go to options and in MONITORS: select Camera+ABRIS, yes it's the file you created recently and if you see it there that means you saved it in the right folder.
UPDATE: The FULL SCREEN option must be unmarked.

Save the changes on the options screen and begin the instant action mission. When the mission is loading you should see the second monitor showing a part of the background screen, that's normal. When the mission is ready to start, start it and you should see the ABRIS in your mini monitor, now you are ready to navigate to some target and blow up a lot of stuff.

I hope you find this guide helpfull, and have fun.

Saludos

Last edited by JAG; 03-03-2010 at 05:31 PM. Reason: update
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:21 PM   #2
C6_Hellfrog

Reputation power: 14
C6_Hellfrog is just really niceC6_Hellfrog is just really niceC6_Hellfrog is just really niceC6_Hellfrog is just really niceC6_Hellfrog is just really niceC6_Hellfrog is just really niceC6_Hellfrog is just really niceC6_Hellfrog is just really niceC6_Hellfrog is just really niceC6_Hellfrog is just really niceC6_Hellfrog is just really nice

good job for newbies !
excellent contribution !
many thanks !
C6_Hellfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:33 PM   #3
walker450

walker450 is just really nicewalker450 is just really nicewalker450 is just really nicewalker450 is just really nicewalker450 is just really nicewalker450 is just really nicewalker450 is just really nicewalker450 is just really nicewalker450 is just really nice

Thanks!

It should be noted that adding second monitors at different resolutions will totally mess up your multiplayer menus. The reason is that in singleplayer menus, only your main screen is used. It's not until you get in the simulation part that it adds the other monitors.

In multiplayer, the menu remains a rectangle, but is stretched to the height/width values you set in your options.lua. (which is the total width of all your monitors, and the total height of all monitors, or most commonly, the height of the largest one.) So, for example, if your second monitor is only 600 tall, but your main is 1080, you have the bottom right of the screen unavailable. I will try to illustrate this....

For Vista/Win 7 users with UAC on, you will need to edit your options.lua in this folder:
C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Eagle Dynamics\Ka-50\BlackShark\data\scripts

You can change the resolution in the options.lua if you like. Just make it match your main screen resolution. Sometimes when testing new layouts, its easier to just change it there instead of in the game. You can also edit the ["multiMonitorSetup"]="blahblahblah" to reflect what file you want to use instead of picking it from the in-game menus. That way, as soon as you launch the sim, you can just hit "instant action" and test out your changes.

Last edited by walker450; 02-26-2010 at 08:36 AM.
walker450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:45 PM   #4
BaD CrC
ED Translator

Reputation power: 31
BaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to allBaD CrC is a name known to all

Nice post JAG.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:19 AM   #5
JAG

JAG is a jewel in the roughJAG is a jewel in the roughJAG is a jewel in the roughJAG is a jewel in the roughJAG is a jewel in the roughJAG is a jewel in the roughJAG is a jewel in the rough

Was a pleasure

Saludos
Old 02-27-2010, 10:10 PM   #6
CAT_101st

Reputation power: 18
CAT_101st is just really niceCAT_101st is just really niceCAT_101st is just really niceCAT_101st is just really niceCAT_101st is just really niceCAT_101st is just really niceCAT_101st is just really niceCAT_101st is just really niceCAT_101st is just really niceCAT_101st is just really niceCAT_101st is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to CAT_101st

does this work in XP?

Cockpit panels for sale. http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=142146
http://www.dcs-mercenaries.enjin.com/
CAT_101st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:33 PM   #7
JAG

Yes, this guide was made for windows xp, but I supose it could works for vista too.

Cheers
Old 03-02-2010, 04:17 AM   #8
CAT_101st

CAT_101st is just really niceCAT_101st is just really niceCAT_101st is just really niceCAT_101st is just really niceCAT_101st is just really niceCAT_101st is just really niceCAT_101st is just really niceCAT_101st is just really niceCAT_101st is just really niceCAT_101st is just really niceCAT_101st is just really nice

Well I tried it to the letter and all I got was a blank screan. I could hear the game running in the back ground.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:51 PM   #9
JAG

Please, could you post the resolution of your monitors and your lua files?
Old 03-02-2010, 06:24 PM   #10
CAT_101st

problem 1. If I set up the moniters like 1st pic and have lua. files set for my screan size. BS wont even start. Now if I go and combine the two moniters into 1 screan (my main screan goes to my lowest setting 1280 x 1024, realy makres my main screan look like crap (1680 x1050). The game runs loads mission but git no viedo of in CP or abris. but can hear it running in the back ground.
I have 2 8800gt not in SLI. I tryed having the second mon on both cards. the only way I can combin the two mon into one is have both on the same vid card. I will make a video for you and post it latter.

I had it working along time ago but culd not get main screan to look right. I may just wait till I get Win 7

Last edited by CAT_101st; 11-10-2010 at 12:37 AM.