DCS : AC-130U/H

Starkweather

Apologies if it seems presumptuous of me, considering that this is my first post here (howdy!), to ask this question but is it true that an AC-130U/H DCS module will be released some time next year?

I ask the question because I emailed TIS in regards to purchasing the AC-130 Desktop Training Simulation software and was told that it is for Government use only. The lady also told me that a commercial version would be available, under the DCS brand, next year. Just wanted to confirm if that is indeed the case.

I'll be waiting with baited breath if it's true. My father, who passed away in 2002, served aboard an AC-130A during the Vietnam War as a Low Light Level TV Operator. It would be incredible to get a sense of what he experienced during his assignment, as he told me numerous stories of his exploits over Ho Chi Minh and the devastating power of the AC-130 itself. I even went so far as to attempt to create my own rudimentary AC-130 gunnery simulation in Armed Assault (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p6MwH92bAc). As I said, it's extremely rudimentary, so there's no advanced display features or actual pylon turns. I'm not much of a scripter.

I also think that ED is one of the few companies that can do the incredible Gunship justice, based on the complexity and realism of your products.

Edited by Starkweather

E.D. has committed to doing an A-10C in the DCS series. That is the only certainty. After that, we most likely will see an AH-64A sim in DCS, but that is not etched in stone.

There has been no announcement of an AC-130x for DCS. With the needed lead times, you certainly won't see it in 2010.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

That would undoubtedly be an awesome Sim, however ED have never mentioned it as beeing in a state of development...the following aircraft have been released as beeing in "some form of development":

A10 a / c

AH64a

MI24

F15c

F16c

Mig29a

SU27

However, ED have also consistantly said that Miliatary contracts can and will effect the entertainment side as well, so if ED (TFC) are developing an AC130 DTS , it is possible that it could translate into a DCS product over the next few years?

Could be a simple misunderstanding.

There is an A-10C Desktop Training Simulator currently in use by the US military (the ANG?) and a consumer-version will be released next year. At least I'm not aware of an AC-130 simulator being adapted for the simulation market, though. Would be nice for multiplayer, though.

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

Aye, there's another thread related to to ED's AC-130 contract that I had a look at before I posted. In it, Matt Wagner stated that there were no current plans to implement an AC-130 module, however the post is a few months old so the situation could have changed since then. I'm also going off the information I received from the person who responded to my email at TIS.

"Unfortunately, the AC-130 Desktop Training simulator is only available for government use.

However, a commercial version is planned for release next year.

Unfortunately, the site is in Russian."

Edit : Feuerfalke, you could be right. She included a link in her email that led to the dev notes for the A-10C module, so it's highly possible she got her facts mixed up. Damn... might have got all excited for nothing!

Oh well. The AH-64A module will more than make up for it though. I'm especially looking forward to getting my hands on the 30mm M230. Awesome weapon.

Edited by Starkweather

... the GAU-8 isn't exciting enough for you?

Personal preference I guess. The M230 strikes a perfect balance between power, lethality and versatility, whilst the GAU-8 simply turns everything into scrap metal and red mist. The videos I've watched of the A-10's GAU ARE amazing though, not to mention disturbing when it's used on personnel.

... the GAU-8 isn't exciting enough for you?

What he said!?

M230, 1 barrel. GAU-8, 7 barrels of pure pain attached to the the most evil looking jet there is. I know which one I'd choose.

TBH, I don't see a DCS:AC-130 being developed. I mean sims are only have a relatively small market as it is and something where you just sit in front of a screen would have even less appeal imho. Sure it'd be fun for a while, but I think those who would buy it would find themselves getting bored rather quickly.

Of course I could be totally wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

From what I've understood the software contracted by the military isn't an actual flight simulator but rather a simulator for the IR station. So a direct commercial conversion wouldn't be an AC-130 flight simulator, it would be a simulator of one very specific sensor station.

The official (brief) writeup of the simulator even notes "automated flight plans and paths". This would lead me to think that the object of the DTS is to train a specific non-pilot crewmember in the tasks (s)he is assigned to fulfill, and I would suspect that a lot further information would have to be sourced about the aircraft to get it to a DCS standard module.

As has been noted, the confusion may lie in the fact that the AC-130 DTS is based on the A10C DTS. (The possibility of them being multiplayer-compatible seems alluring, since if they are it might be possible for A10C pilots to train CAS together with AC-130 crewmembers on the desktop. No clue if that's actually how it works though.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

From what I've understood the software contracted by the military isn't an actual flight simulator but rather a simulator for the IR station. So a direct commercial conversion wouldn't be an AC-130 flight simulator, it would be a simulator of one very specific sensor station.

The official (brief) writeup of the simulator even notes "automated flight plans and paths". This would lead me to think that the object of the DTS is to train a specific non-pilot crewmember in the tasks (s)he is assigned to fulfill, and I would suspect that a lot further information would have to be sourced about the aircraft to get it to a DCS standard module.

Ah, you're absolutely right :

• AN/AAQ-26 Infra-Red Sensor System
  • IR Sensor Operator Multi Function Display (MFD)
  • IR Sensor interface and controller
  • Virtual terrain, enemy Order of Battle, Buildings, and Infrastructure
  • Automated flight plans and paths

It doesn't mention the inclusion of the actual Fire Control System and associated weaponry, which probably means that the AI is given waypoints to a target location, where it begins an orbit, allowing the user to utilize the sensors to observe the area. Dang!

Also, I suspect you are correct in that both applications can be tied together for CAS simulation. There's a military contracted AC-130U simulator (read here) for VBS2 that provides similar functionality, allowing multiple forms of engagements to be simulated with a vast network of trainees. I'd love to test it out!

I'd love to test it out!

Guess it's time to visit your local air force recruitment office, then. :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

LOL! Yeah and be sure to send us some 'screenshots' then! ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-E, 32GB Crucial Ballistix 2400Mhz, Intel i7 9700K 5.0Ghz, Asus GTX1080 8GB, SoundBlaster AE-5, G15, Streamdeck, DSD Flight, TM Warthog, VirPil BRD, MFG Crosswind CAM5, TrackIR 5, KW-908 Jetseat, Win 10 64-bit

”Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.

However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore.”

If you're only going to model the AH-64A because most of the current D model stuff is classified or hard to get, I still suggest the AH-1W instead since it's an old school pit akin to the AH-64A, but still used on the active front lines.

US Marine Whiskey Cobra's would bring in the aspect of carrier ops and the Marine ARG, not to mention still offering more plausible scenarios considering the Marines have not even introduced it's successor in the AH-1Z into the fleet yet, and so Whiskey Cobra's will soldier on for years to come. I love the Apache going back to the days of Gunship on the Commodore 64, but I have 10x more interest in an AH-1W over an AH-64A model.

Edited by BigVette

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte P55-USB3

Intel i7-870 with 8 GB DDR3-1333

nVidia GeForce 470 GTX 1280mb RAM

SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

I know this isnt a sim, but if you want to experience what its like to use IR tv's and the miniguns and 40mm bofors and the cannon on the 130, there is a GREAT mission in the Call of Duty 4 game.

if you havent played it already, you "may" want to check it out just once, although it is not a sim, its just a level of a FPS game.

thats a video of it and I must say, it is one of the best missions I have ever played in a FPS game.

You weren't wrong after all, it seems. Although the AC-130 module is developed for TBS (see other thread). The military spec simulator that The Fighter Collection produces for the armed forces.

I know it was already stated above,more or less, but it didn't make sense to me until I read the TBS thread. I never even knew the guys were also developing armed forces apps.

Looks very cool, that sim. Let's hope DCS will benefit greatly from the development of TBS.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-E, 32GB Crucial Ballistix 2400Mhz, Intel i7 9700K 5.0Ghz, Asus GTX1080 8GB, SoundBlaster AE-5, G15, Streamdeck, DSD Flight, TM Warthog, VirPil BRD, MFG Crosswind CAM5, TrackIR 5, KW-908 Jetseat, Win 10 64-bit

”Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.

However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore.”