Odd Leopard 2 tank turret

Kiwi68

I noticed that some of the Loepard 2 tanks have what appear to be movable panels on the sides of there turrets, anyone know what use these panel have :unsure:

Like a small animal, it's trying to make itself look bigger, right before it's predator strikes... ;)

Are you sure that's a Leo? They either have vertical fronts on their turrest or that triangular section front to defeat long rod penetrators (A5s) ... that loooks like a slope more like a Challanger. The gun certainly looks like a German 120 ...

No idea what the flaps are! They have shadows ..

Are you sure that's a Leo? They either have vertical fronts on their turrest or that triangular section front to defeat long rod penetrators (A5s) ... that loooks like a slope more like a Challanger. The gun certainly looks like a German 120 ...

No idea what the flaps are! They have shadows ..

Yes, that is Leopard 2A5:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=598549&postcount=471

Compare with side flaps on an old soviet T-64.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=593275&postcount=27

Interesting, I never knew that any tank did that and I watch a lot of them military documentaries. I recall a tank did that in the game "Ground Control 2" :)

Specs: GA-Z87X-UD3H, i7-4770k, 16GB, RTX2060, SB AE-5, 750watt Corsair PSU, X52, Track IR4, Win10x64.

Sim Settings: Textures: ? | Scenes: ? |Water: ? | Visibility Range: ? | Heat Blur: ? | Shadows: ? | Res: 1680x1050 | Aspect: 16:10 | Monitors: 1 Screen | MSAA: ? | Tree Visibility: ? | Vsync: On | Mirrors: ? | Civ Traffic: High | Res Of Cockpit Disp: 512 | Clutter: ? | Fullscreen: On

They may allow field replacement of the armour package - these things are now very modular.

The front of the turrent still doesn't look like a real 2A5 ...

Sure it does, you just can't see the underside of the "wedge" because of the camera angle.

i7-2600k@4GHz, 8GB, R9 280X 3GB, SSD, HOTAS WH, Pro Flight Combat Pedals, TIR5

This are additional armor plates on a Leopard 2 A5. There can be "opened" so the maintenance crew can still open the engine room doors while the turret is in 9 o'clock position.

That is what I expected, so they are not really opened for combat?

A bug? Why in the world would something like this be deliberately modeled in DCS if it has nothing to do with combat?

It is in preparation for "DCS: Leo", to be released in 20XX, right after "DCS: Spetsnaz".

It will feature 4-person multiplayer and wiggling with those wings will be part of the startup-procedure.

They also serve as airbrakes for a sudden stop, as on the Mercedes SLR.

Of course! What a question...

Edited by Woodstock

"For aviators like us, the sky is not the limit - it's our home!"

• 5 weeks later...