Autopilot or Level flight option at WW2 aircraft - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-27-2020, 09:03 PM   #1
jorgesoo

Default Autopilot or Level flight option at WW2 aircraft

Is there an option for some kind of autopilot or level flight function for WW2 fighters.-
It should be useful at long range flights
jorgesoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 09:54 PM   #2
Mike_Romeo

I dont think ww2 fighters had autopilots. If I remember correct, they only use trim to levelflight.
Mike_Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 11:13 PM   #3
kengou

This game aims to faithfully simulate the real thing as closely as possible. If it didn’t have an autopilot then they shouldn’t simulate one.
Hangar: A-10A | A-10C | AJS-37 | AV-8B II NA | C-101 | F-14 | F-15C | F-16C | F-5E II | F/A-18C | FW-190A-8 | FW-190D-9 | JF-17 | KA-50 | M-2000C | MI-8MTV2 | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | MiG-29 | P-51D | UH-1H | Spitfire | SU-27 | SU-33

Cockpit: Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5
kengou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 12:15 AM   #4
jorgesoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kengou View Post
This game aims to faithfully simulate the real thing as closely as possible. If it didn’t have an autopilot then they shouldn’t simulate one.
I am aware that most single seated WW2 fighters had no AP, but the game offers two options, simulator and game, so within the second option it can perfectly be simulated as all the other non realistic functions it has
jorgesoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 04:44 AM   #5
RustBelt

Quote:
They also didn't have Rudder Helpers.....and yet....
RustBelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 04:49 AM   #6
razo+r
Veteran

Some WWII planes had autopilot, that includes also a few 109s (and maybe 190s iirc). So the idea is not totally unrealistic
razo+r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:09 AM   #7
DimSim

This should be offered if not already, as cheat or helper style option for two reasons:

1) For casual players because casual players also exist and pay money to be entertained. Long straight flights can make use of auto pilot + time acceleration.

2) For serious players needing to adjust cockpit, look at map or other activity. This helps aircraft remain steady without careful hands on stick. It compliments features like Pause.

Remember even real planes are not controlled with a $90 plastic joystick and IBM 101 keyboard, nor are real pilots equipped with one two dimensional eye ball and 90deg field of view. So give computer users a break and help them control their simulated aircraft.
DimSim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:28 AM   #8
Helles Belle

Quote:
Did the real life Huey UH-1H have one?

https://hbdcs.tumblr.com/
Helles Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:39 AM   #9
Northstar98

The reason the UH-1H has one is because it doesn't have multi-crew functionality (yet), this makes it difficult if the player wishes to control the door gunners. You can't really compare the 2, when the only position available for our current set of warbirds/propeller planes is the pilot.

I guess I'm okay with autopilots being offered as cheats, especially for 'game' mode (like takeoff assistance and auto-rudder) so long as it can be enforced on/off by mission designers.

System (RIP my old PC): Dell XPS 15 9570 w/ Intel i7-8750H, NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti Max-Q, 16GB DDR4, 500GB SSD

VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro

Dreams: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/qdrM4n

Last edited by Northstar98; 06-28-2020 at 09:43 AM.
Northstar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:53 AM   #10
ARM505

There are quite a few reasons why keeping a RL aircraft cruising in straight and level flight is easier than a sim:
1) Peripheral vision is easier IRL. Even when head down, you can see the horizon out the corner of your eyes.
2) Seat of the pants. IRL, you are cued when the aircraft does something bouncy, in sims you can be pulling a 6G barrel roll and be unaware of it.
3) Trimming. Real aircraft are generally easier to trim for straight and level, it tends to all even out. Most true for slower, piston engined, straight winged (no sweepback) aircraft.
4) Control feel. In sims, your stick doesn't harden up with airspeed. IRL, you fly straight and level with the tiniest movement of the stick, more like just a pressure which gives excellent feedback. This isn't easy at all in sims, where the spring force is constant, and a tiny movement which feels like nothing can make your aircraft go wild.

I would therefore have no problem for a simple wing leveller (IL2:BoX has this for example). It would make sense. Wing levellers do not take heading into account, it just keeps the wings level. It's not really a cheat, doesn't confer much advantage at all (I would argue none), makes the workload more in line with RL since long periods of S&L are easier IRL compared to sims, esp with time compression (see, there's another sim thing, we do it all the time).
ARM505 is offline   Reply With Quote